Can't get over build quality of galaxy s3

SHiFT.

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am still on the fence about getting the S3. I currently have an iphone 4 and my contract is up sept first. I have been really looking at the S3. I love android and how customizable it is. The thing i can't get pass is the cheap plastic. The screen scratches easy. Not sure what to do. Is it really that big of a deal. 3 years is a long time

Thanks
SHiFT.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The build quality is excellent. Don't worry at all about the plastic. The phone is uber light and that isn't achieved with heavy metals. The iPhone 4S has glass both on the front and back and as a result has had the highest incidence of glass breakage (reported by Apple actually) out of any iPhone model released - obviously two glass panes would cause that.

The glass does seem to scratch easier than the original incarnate of Gorilla Glass, but it doesn't scratch ridiculously easy and so far most complaints are for micro-scratches which don't impact the screen viewing at all and are rather hard to spot. I have a few of these. If that worries you - get a screen protector! Problem solved. I say go for it. I really love this phone.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
3years is a REALLY long time and if youre used to iphones (ive never owned one), nothing is ever gona feel as solid and well made. a phone this size realy has to make compromises or it will weigh a tonne and be too brittle coz its so big and thin. id get the s3 if you want the best android with a nice big screen. if it starts to fall apart in a year, just insure it and "lose" it ;)

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat only that my contract has already expired. I dropped my iPhone from 3", yes THREE INCHES!, and shattered the front glass. All phones with glass suffer from breakage and scratching, brand doesn't matter. Apple buys the same glass that Samsung buys, they don't have some RDF proprietary coating that makes it better either, in fact the iPhone 5 will use the exact same glass that the GS3 uses now, Gorilla Glass 2 so if the GS3 scratches easily then so will the iP5 if you think about it.

The other thing to consider is that with the iPhone's steel case acting as the antenna it does introduce the possibility for signal issues -- I never suffered from 'Antennagate' but it was real enough to many.

Have you held the SG3 yet? It's not a poorly constructed device and in the hand you'd be hard pressed to say it's lesser quality.

SHiFT.

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you held the SG3 yet? It's not a poorly constructed device and in the hand you'd be hard pressed to say it's lesser quality.

I actually just held it about 30 minutes ago. It feels so light. I would put an otterbox on it and a zagg invisible shield.

Maybe its the effect that apple has over me. I have a macbook, imac, ipad, appletv and iphone 4 and they all work so well together. I dont know.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
3years is a REALLY long time and if youre used to iphones (ive never owned one), nothing is ever gona feel as solid and well made. a phone this size realy has to make compromises or it will weigh a tonne and be too brittle coz its so big and thin. id get the s3 if you want the best android with a nice big screen. if it starts to fall apart in a year, just insure it and "lose" it ;)

I owned an iPhone once 2days passed and I didn't like it a week passed and I was back on android:D

Sent from my paranoid S3:smokingsomb:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually just held it about 30 minutes ago. It feels so light. I would put an otterbox on it and a zagg invisible shield.

Maybe its the effect that apple has over me. I have a macbook, imac, ipad, appletv and iphone 4 and they all work so well together. I dont know.

think ur heart hase already made its mind up man :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I owned an iPhone once 2days passed and I didn't like it a week passed and I was back on android:D

Sent from my paranoid S3:smokingsomb:

think id be the exact same mate lol. i remember all the hype when the 1st iphone came out and i was happy with my nokia N95 smartphone which blew the iphone away. the iphone couldnt even record video lol :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am still on the fence about getting the S3. I currently have an iphone 4 and my contract is up sept first. I have been really looking at the S3. I love android and how customizable it is. The thing i can't get pass is the cheap plastic. The screen scratches easy. Not sure what to do. Is it really that big of a deal. 3 years is a long time

Thanks
SHiFT.

Let's get over the build quality issue now. Most smartphones with notable exception of aircraft glass and aluminum are some form of polycarbonate material of varying thicknesses and finishes.

First, it keeps the device light and the signal strong. Second, build quality is about the overall device in terms how all the hardware works with the software.

Have you even done any research or testing on your own? If you did, you would see that there are number of things that the GS3 excels at with better hardware and software. Take some time and go to sites like this one, heelandtech.com. android authority, phonearena, and phonedog. Look at their review of the GS3.

If the dealbreaker is the external battery cover, then so be it. We can only offer opinions. It is up to you to get the fence post out of your backside, do the research and make up your own mind which device meets your needs the best. At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

Reactions: b0btech

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah ive always had phones with removable battery cover but if u dont like that, have a look at the Htc One X if its available to u. its a bit more solid

C_C0LE

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I say take the plung, rip off the band aid, etc etc. I was the same as you: iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook Pro, etc. Exactly 30 days ago I switched to a GS III, and the only thing I have debated over is whether I should've gotten the One X or not. Worst case, you try it out for 30 days and then, if it hasn't convinced you, take it back. That's what I was going to do, give Android a shot for 30 days then probably return it. Not anymore.

Also, I too have an otter box (Commuter) and invisishield on my GS III. Otter box is slim, while it always made my iPhone 4 bulky. Probably my favorite case of the 3 I've owned.

PS: Joined just to comment on this post. You're welcome ;)

philantrenzo

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I feel like I'm sponsored by apple. I have MacBook pro, iPad, iPod nano watch, apple tv, iMac and have always had iPhones. I just got rid of my 4S for the S3...it was tough to do. Felt like adultery lol. Never been happier. The droid is so much more customizable. Glaxy Is just an overall more complete and "better" device. Unless the iPhone 5 will drive me to work I'm never going back...

Reactions: b0btech

SHiFT.

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I'm sponsored by apple. I have MacBook pro, iPad, iPod nano watch, apple tv, iMac and have always had iPhones. I just got rid of my 4S for the S3...it was tough to do. Felt like adultery lol. Never been happier. The droid is so much more customizable. Glaxy Is just an overall more complete and "better" device. Unless the iPhone 5 will drive me to work I'm never going back...

you really like it that much? How do u like the ipod nano watch? What wrist band do u have for it?

C_C0LE

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

Try walking into your local Apple store and pulling out your phone. Never felt so guilty :-\ But that'll pass with time.

wilfreb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
My GS3 does not feels cheap at all, I love the materials cuz it keeps it light and the removable battery is a huge plus for me cuz I always carry a spare battery.

I never use a screen protector and I'm no very careful with my phones and I never got any scratch on my GS2 or in my GS3, I think this screen is very scratch resistant, get the Galaxy and you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums