08-21-2012 12:09 AM
77 1234
tools
    Yeah, unless the phone is a pink Hello Kitty phone how does the S3 look unprofessional??

I find it funny and disturbing that the nitpicking has gotten this anal. If one finds the design boring why not have simply bought another device that suits your style requirements better?

Rev.
    I love how ready people are to assume the worst in a comment. Is there anywhere in my post that I said I hated the design, or that the phone was crap? No, basically I stated that I thought the design was bland. I was lukewarm towards the design when I bought it, hoping that it would grow on me.

Why would I buy a device that underperforms based on a prettier shell? That is just plain stupid.

What I find even more amazing is how much style comes into play according to the discussions here. I use my phone to make calls, text, keep track of my scheduling, etc. I have never felt the need to have it match my socks or anything else as absurd as that. I agree with you completely that if the design is so boring and bothers the owner so much then why purchase the phone to begin with? If you purchase a phone when you KNOW you don't like it then it's only a matter of time before other things about the phone will bother you as well.
    Again, I hardly said that it really bothers me, or that I couldn't live without it, I said it was bland. Meaning lacking of personality in appearance.

I did not purchase the phone stating that I did not like it. I purchased the phone because I believed it would be the best fit for my needs/wants at the time. I repeat that I find the phone works great and does what I want it to do.

There is nothing wrong with stating that the aesthetics of the design do not appeal to me. I did not purchase the device because it was sexy looking or ugly. I think for the ONE thing that I have finally come to terms with is that I find the design bland to look at.

I appreciate it that everyone here is generally enthusiastic about the product, but please do note, I believe my post was not put to inflame the masses, just to share my view on it's design. I am not slagging on the phone's performance or screen size.
    quicksilver53 likes this.
    08-15-2012 08:37 AM
    I just got my sexy garnet red GS3 a few days ago and agree with most here that it's very beautiful and also has a very premium feel and look (in red anyway). My biggest problem is with the stock email app and the outdoor screen visibility. This thing is FAST and the Swiftkey keyboard makes the iOS keyboard look silly as does most of the other great FREE apps in the market. But I think the design is VERY nice in all ways including the removable battery and microSD slot for up to 64 gigs extra storage!
    For viewing in bright sunlight/outside I use the Negative Colours option. Settings >Accessibility > Negative Colours. It's also a widget. I've no problem seeing the screen outdoors even in bright sunlight as long as Negative Colours is switched on. When I get out of the sunlight or indoors I switch off Negative Colours.
    GalaxyOnyxWitch likes this.
    08-15-2012 09:15 AM
    I love how ready people are to assume the worst in a comment. Is there anywhere in my post that I said I hated the design, or that the phone was crap? No, basically I stated that I thought the design was bland. I was lukewarm towards the design when I bought it, hoping that it would grow on me.

Why would I buy a device that underperforms based on a prettier shell? That is just plain stupid.

Again, I hardly said that it really bothers me, or that I couldn't live without it, I said it was bland. Meaning lacking of personality in appearance.

I did not purchase the phone stating that I did not like it. I purchased the phone because I believed it would be the best fit for my needs/wants at the time. I repeat that I find the phone works great and does what I want it to do.

There is nothing wrong with stating that the aesthetics of the design do not appeal to me. I did not purchase the device because it was sexy looking or ugly. I think for the ONE thing that I have finally come to terms with is that I find the design bland to look at.

I appreciate it that everyone here is generally enthusiastic about the product, but please do note, I believe my post was not put to inflame the masses, just to share my view on it's design. I am not slagging on the phone's performance or screen size.
    Perhaps if you'd started with a less inflamatory title? Like " Just My Opinion: Design is bland." Or: " Aesthetics of the Design do not appeal to me..."
    08-15-2012 09:19 AM
    Is there anywhere in my post that I said I hated the design, or that the phone was crap?
    No, and that's why my post says "I find it funny and disturbing that the *nitpicking* has gotten this anal". I didn't say you called the phone crap nor that you hated it, being a little defensive are we?

Look at the iPhone 4S, it's plain and bland in every way possible. About the only visual aesthetic to it is the metal ring going around the body, outside of that it's just a black (or white) glass covered front with a single home button. Look at the Motorola Razr Maxx as well, how is it any less "bland" than the S3? That's simply my point, I don't know how a phone should look any less bland without tattoo skins or some other weirdness added to them.

Rev.
    rwings01 likes this.
    08-15-2012 09:58 AM
    Perhaps if you'd started with a less inflamatory title? Like " Just My Opinion: Design is bland." Or: " Aesthetics of the Design do not appeal to me..."
    LOL! Perhaps but it's not like I said S3 design suxx!! My title was actually quite subtle for me

No, and that's why my post says "I find it funny and disturbing that the *nitpicking* has gotten this anal". I didn't say you called the phone crap nor that you hated it, being a little defensive are we?

Look at the iPhone 4S, it's plain and bland in every way possible. About the only visual aesthetic to it is the metal ring going around the body, outside of that it's just a black (or white) glass covered front with a single home button. Look at the Motorola Razr Maxx as well, how is it any less "bland" than the S3? That's simply my point, I don't know how a phone should look any less bland without tattoo skins or some other weirdness added to them.

Rev.
    It is as you say, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I thought the iP4 design nice, but my roommate hates it. I just didn't like how fragile it felt when I had it out of the case!

Anyways, apologies if I ruffled anyone's feathers, not my intent.

I still think the design looks bland
    08-15-2012 11:19 AM
    LOL! Perhaps but it's not like I said S3 design suxx!! My title was actually quite subtle for me

It is as you say, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I thought the iP4 design nice, but my roommate hates it. I just didn't like how fragile it felt when I had it out of the case!

Anyways, apologies if I ruffled anyone's feathers, not my intent.

I still think the design looks bland
    One of the problems with sites like this is the number of folks that purchased something and now must defend the death ( and frequently in an insulting way) their purchase against any and all evildoers (or people that insinuate that their device is not all everything). I was kind of following this discussion but I have decided to get off the ride now...

Mike
    dmmarck likes this.
    08-15-2012 11:28 AM
    UPDATE:

Ok, LOL! I just got my casemate barely there case (custom with my choice of photo or art) and I am VERY surprised on just what a difference it makes from my other case.

Seriously, I really never though that my last case was bad by any means. It actually offers more protection than the CaseMate one.

Result: I really really like how my phone looks now... So it wasn't the design of the S3 I found bland, I guess it was hiding it in a bulkier case....who knew???

If I can get around to it, I will take and include some pics!..

Cheers!
    08-18-2012 12:07 AM
    nice one
    08-18-2012 12:10 AM
    I actually like the design of the S3. S1 had similar traits as the iphone 3g and 3gs to me which is okay. S2 looked different a rigid look that reminded me of metal. The S3 is the opposite of the S2. It's curved figure of the overall shape, plastic and glass seems different then other smartphones to me. Which is why I like it.
    08-18-2012 02:54 AM
    Delete
    08-18-2012 04:08 AM
    I like the simple design....! Doesn't bother me!
    08-18-2012 09:37 AM
    You were hiding your phone inside a case and complained about the design. You put it in a different case and decided you like the PHONE'S design after all, because of the different case? W... T... F...
    08-18-2012 09:47 AM
    Touchwiz is what turns me off and kills my interest in it. Touchwiz used to be pretty light, like my captivate for instance. Other than the launcher and lock screen, everything else was aosp android, but my god the s3 looks like it's running gingerbread! And where is the drag and create folder feature? Touchwiz has evolved into an HTC sense clone, and the old style buttons aren't necessary, honestly ICS and up virtual buttons are all you need

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-18-2012 10:20 AM
    You were hiding your phone inside a case and complained about the design. You put it in a different case and decided you like the PHONE'S design after all, because of the different case? W... T... F...
    Trust me, I know it sounds stupid. Maybe to some it is. But you HAVE to put this beast in a case. I chose a case that I thought would look nice. Like any cases you cannot see the back. It wasn't the back that bothered me, it was the way the front looked with the VERY VERY thin lip of the case going around. It should NOT have made that much of an aesthetic difference as to change the whole appearance of the phone, but it did.

The case was very thin, didn't add much bulk but it just in the end, did not allow the basic form factor to shine through.

With the new case, it doesn't encompass the whole of the front, and blends into the basic screen, allowing the phone to show more clearly in the front.

Doesn't offer sh## for protection other than scratch though.

I have had cases on my other phones that made them look sharp, I just assumed it would be the same with this phone and any case I chose to put on it.

I was wrong.

Here's some pics if anyone cares
    08-18-2012 11:06 AM
    Trust me, I know it sounds stupid. Maybe to some it is. But you HAVE to put this beast in a case. I chose a case that I thought would look nice. Like any cases you cannot see the back. It wasn't the back that bothered me, it was the way the front looked with the VERY VERY thin lip of the case going around. It should NOT have made that much of an aesthetic difference as to change the whole appearance of the phone, but it did.

The case was very thin, didn't add much bulk but it just in the end, did not allow the basic form factor to shine through.

With the new case, it doesn't encompass the whole of the front, and blends into the basic screen, allowing the phone to show more clearly in the front.

Doesn't offer sh## for protection other than scratch though.

I have had cases on my other phones that made them look sharp, I just assumed it would be the same with this phone and any case I chose to put on it.

I was wrong.

Here's some pics if anyone cares
    So your case only protects the back of your phone........NICEEE!!!! So its gonna be a 50/50 crap shoot when its flipping in the air on its way to the ground, lol!
    08-18-2012 01:58 PM
    lol makes life more exciting
    08-18-2012 01:59 PM
    lol makes life more exciting
    Sure does, lol!! Love me some heart racing action!!
    08-18-2012 02:02 PM
    So your case only protects the back of your phone........NICEEE!!!! So its gonna be a 50/50 crap shoot when its flipping in the air on its way to the ground, lol!
    Haha well there is a slight lip over the front so I can place it face down without touching the screen but I guess I can always admire how nice it looks as it is hurtling downward to its death LOL!

As a rule I am very careful of my electronics. One phone drop in 5-6 years of owning phones.
    08-19-2012 12:46 AM
    i had an ex who loved throwing my phones out my 3rd story window onto concrete and then calling the police on me!!
    hope shes dead
    08-19-2012 01:27 AM
    We I'm one who also thinks that the design is bland and ugly. If were going to list grapes with the design, here are mine:

- Looks like a round blob. I prefer more angled, rectangular looks. I think the One X and iPhone 4/4S looks gorgeous.

- The home button is a poor design and far too low. The Galaxy S/S2 had better home buttons.

- Cheap feeling, plastic body. Doesn't feel like a premium phone.

- Faux metal band across the edge. If you're not going to use metal, don't try to pass it off as metal.

Those are my gripes with it. I think the S2 was a far better design a d would have preferred something closer to that. I'd like Samsung to move away from their cheap feeling love of plastic. I know it's a polycarbonate material, but it feels cheap compared to the Lumia 900/One X.

I guess what I'm trying to say is say it doesn't look and feel like the highest-end phone on the market.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Why would you want a metal band around the outside??? Metal interferes with RF propagation. If you wrap your phone in metal, you'll get worse reception for 3G/4G, wifi, and bluetooth. Just ask iPhone 4 owners about that (remember antenna-gate?).
    08-19-2012 12:38 PM
    ...Here's some pics if anyone cares
    GOW, that is a cool case. Well done...
    08-19-2012 10:18 PM
    Why would you want a metal band around the outside??? Metal interferes with RF propagation. If you wrap your phone in metal, you'll get worse reception for 3G/4G, wifi, and bluetooth. Just ask iPhone 4 owners about that (remember antenna-gate?).
    So true!
    I was actually worried at first that it was metal. All phones should go in cases, so there is no point in metal bezels and causing signal to drop.

The gs3 design is great and works best with a case.
    08-20-2012 01:09 AM
    think the point is (for me anyway) that plastic that was true to itself would be far nicer than a fake chrome paint job.
    this is only my opinion but i hate mutton dressed as lamb
    08-20-2012 01:16 AM
    GOW, that is a cool case. Well done...
    Ty kind Sir, Ma'am.

With this case, the device feels almost as though there was no case, which really enhances the look and feel of the device to me now.

Ironically that image was my wallpaper on my iPhone4, now I get an unhindered view of it.
    08-20-2012 09:34 AM
    Ty kind Sir, Ma'am.

With this case, the device feels almost as though there was no case, which really enhances the look and feel of the device to me now.

Ironically that image was my wallpaper on my iPhone4, now I get an unhindered view of it.
    you were almost cool...
    08-20-2012 09:42 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD