I just thought I would share my experience for anyone considering making the switch. I picked up the S3 the week it was released on Verizon. I had been an iPhone 4 user on and off for the last year and a half. After about 3 weeks I was wondering if I had made the right choice. This was mostly due to the size of the phone, but also because I had become so familiar with IOS. I reactivated my iPhone 4 this morning and used it for most of the day as I normally do. My phone is used for calls, text, email, navigation, web, calendar and to do list mostly, but I also play games a little, take pictures and watch some video. About 3:00 I could not take it anymore and switched back to my S3. I just felt like I had taken a huge step back with the iPhone 4. Now I know that the new iPhone is coming with some changes, but I just think that the S3 has so much more to offer. I was thinking the size of the S3 was bothering me, but when I went back it was the opposite. I missed that big beautiful screen.

I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone at all, but I just thought I would share just in case. Some of the things you take for granted are simple things. I love that I can put the phone to my ear after reading a text and make the call right away. I get great battery life, but bought the extra battery with charger just in case and I love that I can swap it out quickly on heavy use days. The camera is amazing too. I was reminded of that again tonight when I was taking pictures of the kids at the playground. There are many other things too. Too many to mention. It really is a huge step forward for someone coming from an iPhone 4 and even the 4S. I also think that it will be ahead of the new iPhone unless Apple really pulls something out at the release that we don't know about. I can't imagine what that would be though. I love my iPad so it's not like I am totally giving up Apple products, but I just can't imagine going back to the iPhone. I learned that today.
    s14tat, SHiFT., bgl321 and 3 others like this.
    08-14-2012 10:49 PM
    I agree with you, sometimes I'll play around on my friends iPhone 4S and it's just not the same the screen is so small and it just lacks so much that the S3 has to offer. I'm with you on not giving up my apple products, with the exception of the mobile device.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    08-14-2012 10:51 PM
    I agree, I had a 4S for almost a year. I could never imagine stepping that far backwards again. The SGS3 has equal battery life, and while I think the reception on the iPhone was a tad better, it isn't enough of a contrast for a valid argument. I haven't been this happy with a phone since the original droid (and 4S of course)
    cwbcpa likes this.
    08-14-2012 10:55 PM
    I agree, I had a 4S for almost a year. I could never imagine stepping that far backwards again. The SGS3 has equal battery life, and while I think the reception on the iPhone was a tad better, it isn't enough of a contrast for a valid argument. I haven't been this happy with a phone since the original droid (and 4S of course)
    I agree. I loved the original Droid. I decided to try the iPhone 4 after that and was very happy with that as well, but for different reasons. It's good to have choices. Right now, the S3 is the best option IMO.
    08-15-2012 07:08 AM
    I think I have a similar experience between the two platforms (not just the phone devices but also the tablets/pads). I'm a whole lot less than a "FAN" type person (good Techo-Mages don't do the "Fan" thing). Not to put anyone down with that statement, because each person creates, for the most part, their own "Technology" experience.
    For me, because of who I am, Apple tends not to satisfy my requirements... and yes I do get into arguments with those who "religiously" choose one over the other for reasons that are less fact/technology based and more "personal opinion" or "FAN" based. Opinions are valuable.. they create ideas and sometimes they lead to discoveries. But it's not a substitute for pushing the "buttons" for yourself...
    It's good to see posts where people seriously consider the "fit" for themselves when choosing tech... because at the end of the day... all tech has it's strong and weak points.

~ScottGeek
    keisa likes this.
    08-15-2012 10:58 AM
    Hey Scott, what is a Techno-Mage?
    08-15-2012 01:32 PM
    I'd like to chime in here too since I was an iP3G owner for over 4 years, though at that time, there weren't too many smart phone options, LOL.

I've had my sexy garnet red GS3 now for about 5 days and honestly, I do NOT miss iOS one bit!! I didn't find the transition to Android difficult at all and compared to my antique iPhone, the GS3 is a total rocket ship and the screen is amazing. I've been getting good battery life though there aren't a ton of LTE towers here in the SF North bay yet, though we have lots of HSPA+. Everything seems to run faster on the Sammy and since I have big hands, the size of the phone is no problem.

Can't wait until my case arrives though since the Galaxy is pretty slippery, but I love how thin it is the garnet red color has a real luxury/premium look to it!

Anyone thinking about jumping ship from Apple would do well to make the jump to the GS3!!
    gadgetman#CB likes this.
    08-15-2012 01:44 PM
    Except for screen size, what does the GS3 do that the iP4S cannot? Not trolling, I'm considering switching and want as much info as possible. Thanks!
    08-15-2012 02:21 PM
    Except for screen size, what does the GS3 do that the iP4S cannot? Not trolling, I'm considering switching and want as much info as possible. Thanks!
    Main thing. It is fully customizable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    08-15-2012 02:34 PM
    It's not so much what the GS3 can do as opposed to what Android can do that iOS cannot. And that list is long. Very long.

The biggest thing to me (besides customization), is out of the box integration with apps. For example, iOS only integrates Twitter at the moment (and Facebook is coming in iOS6). Well, we've had that for forever....but all it takes to "integrate" an app is to install it. If I don't like the Official Twitter app, I just install an alternative and it's integrated. If I want to integrate Instagram, I just install it and it shows up in my sharing options when I'm viewing pictures. Dropbox? Just install it.

In other words, open up the gallery app on your iPhone and try to share a picture. You'll get email and Twitter. On my phone I have roughly 20 things I can share it with (Twitter, Facebook, Picasa, Google Drive, Dropbox...the list goes on), and I didn't have to do anything other than install those apps.

That doesn't mean on the iPhone you can't go to (for example) the Facebook app and upload a picture from it. But I can do that to I....or I can do it from the gallery app (which is just as easy and frankly, more convenient cause I can send some to Picasso, some to Facebook, some to Flikr, etc...all from the same app).

Another items of note are turn-by-turn voice guided navigation already integrated out of the box (again, coming with iOS6 but remains to be seen how it will compare with Google Maps). Going along with the integration thing above: what if, when I click on an address in the browser, I'd rather use Waze than Google Nav to navigate to that address? Well, just install Waze and the next time I click on an address, it's going to ask me if I want to use Waze or Google. Nothing special other than Android recognizes I now have an additional mapping app installed, so it asks which one I want to use, and I can choose to use it this time only or every time.

And of course, there's a lot more (I could go on) but will just point out a couple more of my favs: Changing defaults like using a different keyboard or browser and some enhanced email functionality, such as separate email signatures for different accounts (iOS only lets you have one signature that's used on all of your email accounts) and also being able to attach files to emails (from the email app). You can attach files in iOS, but only one file, and you can't do it from the email app....you have to (for example) go to the gallery and email the picture from there.

But the biggest thing coming from an iPhone camp is just giving it shot. Out of the box, it's just as easy as iOS is for the basics, such as email, surfing the web, taking pics, etc. You can pick up an Android phone and an iPhone and not change a thing and should be able to use both easily: the "iPhone just works and is so easy" that's pervasive in the fanboy camps is pure BS in my opinion.
    08-15-2012 02:52 PM
    It's not so much what the GS3 can do as opposed to what Android can do that iOS cannot. And that list is long. Very long.

The biggest thing to me (besides customization), is out of the box integration with apps. For example, iOS only integrates Twitter at the moment (and Facebook is coming in iOS6). Well, we've had that for forever....but all it takes to "integrate" an app is to install it. If I don't like the Official Twitter app, I just install an alternative and it's integrated. If I want to integrate Instagram, I just install it and it shows up in my sharing options when I'm viewing pictures. Dropbox? Just install it.

In other words, open up the gallery app on your iPhone and try to share a picture. You'll get email and Twitter. On my phone I have roughly 20 things I can share it with (Twitter, Facebook, Picasa, Google Drive, Dropbox...the list goes on), and I didn't have to do anything other than install those apps.

That doesn't mean on the iPhone you can't go to (for example) the Facebook app and upload a picture from it. But I can do that to I....or I can do it from the gallery app (which is just as easy and frankly, more convenient cause I can send some to Picasso, some to Facebook, some to Flikr, etc...all from the same app).

Other items of note are turn-by-turn voice guided navigation already integrated out of the box (again, coming with iOS6 but remains to be seen how it will compare with Google Maps). Going along with the integration thing above: what if, when I click on an address in the browser, I'd rather use Waze than Google Nav to navigate to that address? Well, just install Waze and the next time I click on an address, it's going to ask me if I want to use Waze or Google. Nothing special other than Android recognizes I now have an additional mapping app installed, so it asks which one I want to use, and I can choose to use it this time only or every time.

But the biggest thing coming from an iPhone camp is just giving it shot. Out of the box, it's just as easy as iOS is for the basics, such as email, surfing the web, taking pics, etc. You can pick up an Android phone and an iPhone and not change a thing and should be able to use both easily: the "iPhone just works and is so easy" that's pervasive in the fanboy camps is pure BS in my opinion.
    Having been a user of both OS's I agree with you completely. Just came from the iPhone 4 (16 months.) Had Android before that. I am glad to be back!
    08-15-2012 03:25 PM
    Main thing. It is fully customizable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    You can't underestimate this value. The phone is useful in so many ways once you arrange it for yourself. I use mine quite a bit for many tasks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-2012 01:47 AM
    Both are great platforms and it boils down to personal preference. I had a Droid X and it was quite laggy and buggy compared to my 3Gs. So even though I liked the screen size and tweakability of the X, I jumped at the 4s when it came out. I enjoyed it quite a bit but when the S3 reviews started to hit and it appeared Android was stable and quick like iOS, I grabbed the S3, gave my wife the 4s and havent looked back.
    gadgetman#CB and cwbcpa like this.
    08-16-2012 08:07 AM
    Lets talk about real functionality here.

1) true multitasking, background apps will still run in the background and you can run like 15 at the same time with 2 gigs of ram.

2) being able to download content straight from the web on your browser. You can access your downloaded content in download folder much like on your PC and you can install apps straight from the web as well.

3) being able to run full flash support on the website.

4) 4G LTE speed which is up to 10 X's faster than 3 G

5) Expandable storage capacity

6) removable and replaceable battery.

The things that this phone or android can do in general makes the iphone feel almost like a pocket calculator by comparison.
    gadgetman#CB likes this.
    08-16-2012 08:24 AM
    I couldn't agree more! I had used the iPhone 4 since the day before launch in 2010 and the 3GS before that. I was pretty sure I would be on iPhone for life but then it started slowing down, the battery was beginning to suffer and I just got tired of iOS as a whole.

Since I had an upgrade on one of my lines, I decided to take the plunge and couldn't be happier! My son, who is (was) a diehard iPhone user can't wait wait to get his. Be choice I've made in a while!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    gadgetman#CB and cwbcpa like this.
    08-16-2012 08:31 AM
    I came over from iPhone 4. Previously had a 3G and a 3GS. Loved the iPhone and ease of use in email and texting. But wanted widgets, customization and the bigger screen. Have enjoyed switch though still learning. Flakiness of WiFi has room for improvement. Otherwise happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-2012 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD