SGS3 can't see SSID's on multi-SSID access points

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Here at work we have wi-fi available. There are access point antennas at five locations around the building. Each of the five locations broadcast the SSID's for four networks. If I go to one of the wireless computers in the lab and go to the manage wireless connections page I can see all four SSID's, plus someone's hotspot, and the SSID for the business across the street. If I go to my co-workers Sprint HTC T7575 running Windows Phone 7.5, he can see all the SSID's as well. However, my phone does not see the SSID's.

Now, if I drive home I can see my home SSID as well as 12 other neighbors SSID's. I've called Verison, who passed me to tier 2 support, who passed me to Samsung support, who passed me to Samsung tier 2 support who finally said, restore to factory defaults to which I said no thank you.

I manually entered the SSID of one work network and it would not work, but I was able to manually connect to one of the other SSID's. It has been suggested to me that some devices may see wireless access points with only one SSID, but not propery handle wireless access points broadcasting multiple SSID's. Has anyone heard of this? Is there a place with data about this? Is there a work-around for this? >>OR could this be something else?

Last edited:

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have about 30 Cisco access points here at my company configured with 4 SSID's... I have 3 of these SSID's set to broadcast and the forth SSID is set to NOT broadcast. My SGS3 has no problem seeing all 3 SSID's that are broadcasting... in addition, I've installed a WiFi Analyzer on my SGS3 where I can see each individual access point in my area, including the channel they are on and all three of the SSID's that are broadcasting from them. So, what I'm trying to say is that the SGS3 has no problems seeing and connecting to multiple SSID's that are broadcasting from a single access point.

If you can't see multiple SSID's (that are broadcasting) on your SGS3 then there's most likely a problem with it. I would try doing a factory restore on it fist and if that doesn't work get it replaced.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Along the same lines, my SGSIII (Verizon) had no problem transitioning between multiple access points that were broadcasting the same SSID - it maintained a connection to the network with no issues.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Just as a follow up; I checked with some other users at work. One with a SGS3, one iPhone4, and two other android devices. None of them could see the four SSID's being broadcast. One person with a Microsoft phone could see the points. Something screwy at work I think.