How to do a cold boot on the SIII?

a-dogg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I searched, but couldn't find an answer...

How do you do this? I've tried powering the phone off, then holding Vol- and Power while powering it on, as well as while powering it off, but I can't seem to make it could boot.

I'm trying to cold boot to make the gallery rebuild its cache, since i added a. .nomedia file to a picture folder, but those pics are still showing up in the gallery.

Thanks!

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Really don't know what you mean by "cold boot" but you could pull the battery and reboot. What is a "cold boot"?

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna make an assumption here and say that I think the original poster thinks that when you tell the phone to power off that it's not actually powering off.

That's how it works for iPhones and Blackberries.. On those phones you need to push a certain button sequence to make the phone truly reboot. Am I right Original Poster???? lol

On the S3 when you turn it off you actually turn it off... lol

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP means "soft boot" possibly to get into recovery to wipe cache from there.

Power phone off > Press volume up and home key then press power button all at the same till S3 logo displays > then Android logo will display for a few seconds then list of choices will come up > to select " wipe cache " use volume buttons to highlight choice > then press power button to enter selection > once cache has ben wiped will automaticly go to reboot press power button and then your done,

Reactions: lv2bsilly

a-dogg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
YES!!!!! Thanks you :) I was pressing Vol- and Power -- didn't realize the correct key combo was Vol+ and Home and Power.

Thanks so much.

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP means "soft boot" possibly to get into recovery to wipe cache from there.

Power phone off > Press volume up and home key then press power button all at the same till S3 logo displays > then Android logo will display for a few seconds then list of choices will come up > to select " wipe cache " use volume buttons to highlight choice > then press power button to enter selection > once cache has ben wiped will automaticly go to reboot press power button and then your done,

LOL, sorry, got a picture in my head of some more obscure instructions that also include having the person standing on one foot, tilting their head to the right and holding their tongue "just so". Brings back memories of users posting about all the troubles they were having booting into recovery mode with an earlier CMod 7 build. :D