12-24-2012 11:59 AM
308 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not sure you quite understood what I was saying. By your own logic, if a large majority of a sampling have problems then statistically that device will have problems, which means you should avoid it (instead of trying to get the problem fixed/resolved), right? But if a large majority don't have problems, then get the device, right? But then what if you have problems? You get them fixed right? So I'm not understanding how you think you can have it both ways. Regardless of which phone you get (and if you really base it solely on someone else's experience then I'm sorry) if you have problems you get them taken care of.

Much of that is opinion. Which everyone is entitled to. But you listing your opinion on things and then saying they are fact is a flawed argument.

Here's a FACT: Google is moving away from SD card storage. Google is also moving away from the Home button. Samsung chose to keep those, which flies directly in the face of the direction Android is moving. NOT better for the community.

Not saying the One X is perfect. It has it's own quirks and issues (as do all phones), but pretending that the S3 doesn't is fanboyish at best. Yes, HTC severely limited the multi-tasking (which is how they designed it, really), but I can choose to fix that with custom roms. What I can't do with the S3 is make the screen as good as the one on the One X. So no, not everyone will root, but at least they have a choice to fix a flaw the manufacturer built-in. Buy the S3 and you're stuck with a screen that just isn't as good.
    I never stated anything was a fact. Way to stick words into someone's mouth.

AFte having used both devices for good amount of time the S3 is a better device over all. Software and hardware wise. Until the OTA came out HOX couldnt work with my bluetooth system in my car, WiFi couldnt connect with my cell radio working at the same time. It would also randomly drop for no reason as well. That is just some of the bugs that I saw. Was it still a good phone? Sure it was. But the multitasking is god awful on the device too.

There is a reason why they had a high return rate and not to much interest it seems. I'm sure HTC has taken a look at this and will make whatever changes are needed for its next device release. Also Apple's BS US customs issues didn't help either.

The S3 for me worked right out of the box. Little to no bugs. Just wish it had some more character and a better screen. That is one thing that I miss the most.

As for the fact you have given me...Great. I still want a removable battery and expandable memory options. And based on the S3 sales....I think many others agree with me.

Either way I am glad you are enjoying your HTC phone! This round....Sammy just happen to win me over. I had the OG Evo 4G > Evo 3D and the HOX. So I like HTC as a company and know they are able to make a great device! HOX was just not for me.
    08-16-2012 04:39 PM
    Well, from the lack of factual responses it appears no one can cite as serious or as many problems for the S III as there are for the HTC One X. If you are considering an HTC One X read its forum then decide if it's the phone for you. Remember, however the glowing opinions of those stuck with the One X should be taken with a grain of salt
    08-16-2012 05:55 PM
    to be honest ive heard of far more (returnable) faults with the Htc and some horror storys about their (lack of) customer service so although i prefer the look of the Htc, im glad i have the s3. two monster phones though
    08-16-2012 05:59 PM
    In before the lock?? Lol, this thread really does need locking, way too much senseless bickering.

@tohio - I'm glad you found the right choice. @ you and everyone else, choices are individual. I have a guy at work with the One X and we always playfully joke about being ready to step "up" to each others phones. We're kidding of course and we are both very happy with our phones and why we chose them. At least we're both on android

Rev.
    erwaso, tohio, xlDeMoNiClx and 1 others like this.
    08-16-2012 06:18 PM
    to be honest ive heard of far more (returnable) faults with the Htc and some horror storys about their (lack of) customer service so although i prefer the look of the Htc, im glad i have the s3. two monster phones though
    To be fair, there are a ton of stories of HTC repairing and/or replacing phones at service centers. You can Google anything and get a ton of replies, really.

You have to remember, we are but a small percentage of users. We don't have hard return numbers for either phone. Everybody expected the S3 to sell better. After all, it launched on pretty much every major carrier in the world at almost the same time. Kudos to Samsung for that.

What we don't hear from a lot are the people that are perfectly satisfied with their choice. It could be that people with one phone or the other are more vocal about issues, too. HTC has a pretty good reputation for build quality, so anything less than perfect isn't good enough.

Samsung has a reputation for plasticky feeling phones, and materials that don't feel as good in the hand as maybe they should. So people are more forgiving about a small issue here or there. At least I was when I got the S2 last year.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Iamdunne likes this.
    08-16-2012 07:46 PM
    Well, from the lack of factual responses it appears no one can cite as serious or as many problems for the S III as there are for the HTC One X. If you are considering an HTC One X read its forum then decide if it's the phone for you. Remember, however the glowing opinions of those stuck with the One X should be taken with a grain of salt
    Yes, please, make all your decisions site unseen based totally on what people say about it in forums.

Whatever you do don't go to a store and actually, you know, see these things in person before you make a decision. What bothers one person might not bother someone else. I've seen plenty of "this didn't bother me until I read about it" posts and comments for me to know that not everybody is bothered by the same stuff.

08-16-2012 07:49 PM
    To be fair, there are a ton of stories of HTC repairing and/or replacing phones at service centers. You can Google anything and get a ton of replies, really.

You have to remember, we are but a small percentage of users. We don't have hard return numbers for either phone. Everybody expected the S3 to sell better. After all, it launched on pretty much every major carrier in the world at almost the same time. Kudos to Samsung for that.

What we don't hear from a lot are the people that are perfectly satisfied with their choice. It could be that people with one phone or the other are more vocal about issues, too. HTC has a pretty good reputation for build quality, so anything less than perfect isn't good enough.

Samsung has a reputation for plasticky feeling phones, and materials that don't feel as good in the hand as maybe they should. So people are more forgiving about a small issue here or there. At least I was when I got the S2 last year.

maybe its just their service in the UK then mate coz i know two people that had the wifi problem on the oneX and ended up having to sell it coz Htc, the shop and the carrier all blamed each other and none would replace it i dont really know anyone with the s3 though so its not a fair comparison
    08-16-2012 07:51 PM
    Yes, please, make all your decisions site unseen based totally on what people say about it in forums.

Whatever you do don't go to a store and actually, you know, see these things in person before you make a decision. What bothers one person might not bother someone else. I've seen plenty of "this didn't bother me until I read about it" posts and comments for me to know that not everybody is bothered by the same stuff.

Here we go again. Who said anything about not looking at a phone in person? That is a step in the decision making process. But if you buy a phone simply by looking at it in the store you really haven't done due diligence in your decision making process (which seem to be your approach). Why on earth would you not look at a device forum before making a purchase to see what problems others may be having with their product? Expressing my relief at not buying an HTC One X and advising people to read the HTC One X Forum before making a purchase was the only point of my original post. Your multiple non sequitur paragraphs has added nothing to the discussion in my opinion. Again, no one has factually refuted the premise that the HTC One X suffers from more problem issues than the S III and therefore the Samsung Galaxy S III is a more trouble free phone and is a better device for the average user.
    08-16-2012 08:07 PM
    I was very happy the day I got to put the Galaxy S III back in the box and get it out of my house.

The lock screen is busted if you use a PIN
    The CPU pegs and drains the battery randomly
    Wifi was weak and dropped all the time
    No text reflow in the browser
    Calendar reminders are broken
    Haptic feedback is broken
    Poor implementation of Bluetooth
    Weird icon shift/stutter when you close big apps

I stopped looking or caring after that. Every phone is different, but the GSIII was not usable for my needs.
    08-16-2012 08:15 PM
    I was very happy the day I got to put the Galaxy S III back in the box and get it out of my house.

I stopped looking or caring after that. Every phone is different, but the GSIII was not usable for my needs.
    among the other things, what was "broken" about the haptic feedback man?
    08-16-2012 08:23 PM
    among the other things, what was "broken" about the haptic feedback man?
    Settings don't stick after a reboot. Known, widespread issue.
    08-16-2012 08:29 PM
    If you are considering an HTC One X read its forum then decide if it's the phone for you.
    Your steps for deciding on the One X.

And no, I don't read forums about everything before I buy it. I, and many others, can make some buying decisions without reading forums. I wonder how many people start accounts here specifically because they encountered a problem with the shiny new phone they just bought.

adamtalife likes this.
    08-16-2012 08:33 PM
    Funny thread. There could be a few reasons why their forum has more complaints

1. Maybe the users over there are bigger whiners and complainers and expect more from HTC devices the Samsung users already use to the same Samsung issues as previous devices.

2. Their device was out sooner so they got a jump on complaints and after a few months are dealing with some issues we could face in a month or so

3. They really don't have more complaints or worst just an exaggeration by the OP.

I'm only kidding but at the end of the day I'll next rate which device is better by OTHERS' experience. Only my own.

Sent from my Galaxy S III
    08-16-2012 08:34 PM
    I was very happy the day I got to put the Galaxy S3 back in the box and get it out of my house.

To be honest, once you became an apologist for the HTC One X I haven't given much credence to your posts. Your article about multitasking in which you stated the problem was by design therefore not an issue was ridiculed by a multitude of posters in that thread. Strange that the person who defended the HTC One X's multitasking issue has so many problems with a Galaxy S III. Hmmmmmm........... BTW, did you return the phone from hell for another?
    the1m.polo likes this.
    08-16-2012 08:34 PM
    perfectly fine on mine. ive went into the haptic settings and any apps i have checked/unchecked stay that way
    08-16-2012 08:38 PM
    Could you please give a reference for that issue: Web site, forum, news item, etc, etc?
    08-16-2012 08:46 PM
    To be honest, once you became an apologist for the HTC One X I haven't given much credence to your posts. Your article about multitasking in which you stated the problem was by design therefore not an issue was ridiculed by a multitude of posters in that thread. Strange that the person who defended the HTC One X's multitasking issue has so many problems with a Galaxy S3. Hmmmmmm........... BTW, did you return the phone from hell for another?
    That's fine. There's no need to worry about what I say. But at least get it right -- multitasking was done that way by design. It wasn't "broken" and all people had to do was not buy it. The minute you ask people to take responsibility for their own actions, they get defensive. No sweat off my back -- I buy what I like, not what I don't and cry later. In the end, I defended the concept of open-source instead of the childish rantings of people that weren't forced to buy it or keep it longer than 14 days.

There was no use returning the GSIII because of issues that they all have. If you can deal with those bugs, have at it. I can't, and won't, so I took my own advice and won't use it. Remember, I don't have to like what you like.
    Kevin OQuinn and adamtalife like this.
    08-16-2012 08:49 PM
    Could you please give a reference for that issue: Web site, forum, news item, etc, etc?
    3 seconds of effort found it in our very own forums

Android Central Community Search | Android Central
    08-16-2012 08:54 PM
    perfectly fine on mine. ive went into the haptic settings and any apps i have checked/unchecked stay that way
    Good. Not everyone suffers from every issue. :o

08-16-2012 08:56 PM
    There was no use returning the GSIII because of issues that MINE have. If you can deal with those bugs, have at it. I can't, and won't, so I took my own advice and won't use it. Remember, I don't have to like what you like.
    Fixed it for you Jerry
    Rev2010 likes this.
    08-16-2012 08:57 PM
    jerry is there a diffence between bugs on the international and US variants? judging by this forum there seems to be a difference in the gorilla glass quality. is there any way thats physicly possible?
    08-16-2012 09:01 PM
    jerry is there a diffence between bugs on the international and US variants? judging by this forum there seems to be a difference in the gorilla glass quality. is there any way thats physicly possible?
    Very well could be. They had to make changes for the different internals, so they had opportunity to tweak anything they felt needed tweaking.
    08-16-2012 09:06 PM
    That's fine. There's no need to worry about what I say. But at least get it right -- multitasking was done that way by design. It wasn't "broken" and all people had to do was not buy it. The minute you ask people to take responsibility for their own actions, they get defensive. No sweat off my back -- I buy what I like, not what I don't and cry later. In the end, I defended the concept of open-source instead of the childish rantings of people that weren't forced to buy it or keep it longer than 14 days.

There was no use returning the GSIII because of issues that they all have. If you can deal with those bugs, have at it. I can't, and won't, so I took my own advice and won't use it. Remember, I don't have to like what you like.
    Jerry, this is why I have a problem with your veracity:

"Samsung has a pretty good handle on their TouchWiz operating system, and whether you love it or hate it you can't deny it's feature rich and runs pretty damn well on the SGSIII's blazing hardware."

"The Galaxy S III is sure to impress us even more with the new features and polish that comes with Jelly Bean. We'll keep an eye on this one closely."
    Jerry Hildenbrand July 22, 2012
    Internet rumor mill says Jelly Bean coming to Samsung Galaxy S III 'soon' | Android Central
    08-16-2012 09:09 PM
    yeah that would explain different software bug experiences. what about the glass? people seem to be having vastly different experiences with scratches etc
    08-16-2012 09:12 PM
    Jerry, this is why I have a problem with your veracity:

"Samsung has a pretty good handle on their TouchWiz operating system, and whether you love it or hate it you can't deny it's feature rich and runs pretty damn well on the SGSIII's blazing hardware."

"The Galaxy S3 is sure to impress us even more with the new features and polish that comes with Jelly Bean. We'll keep an eye on this one closely."
    Jerry Hildenbrand July 22, 2012
    Internet rumor mill says Jelly Bean coming to Samsung Galaxy S3 'soon' | Android Central
    You think it doesn't run well on the hardware? I thought you were talking about bugs here. All phones have em. We have to decide which ones we can live with.
    08-16-2012 09:17 PM
308 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD