So glad I didn't get the HTC One X

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Nah this thread would've just died from lack of replies. Or become another fanboy thread. <--- they exist in every section.

Also, I've owned Samsung and LG android phones.

Not really, before you guys there were posts already pointing out the silliness of such a thread and how all phones are a matter of preference. I posted saying the same too.

Either way, you guys want to spend your time arguing a point that really can't be won for either side have fun ;)

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Never turn on your phone.
:cool:

I'm assuming you mean in the notifications area? The rest of my screen changes to frequently to burn in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
lol :) so is it caused by a dark area being in a certain part of the screen for extended periods or somethin?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
@Kevin, whats the best way to avoid/postpone the screen burn-in mate?

They said "don't use it at full brightness" so take that for what you will.

Not really, before you guys there were posts already pointing out the silliness of such a thread and how all phones are a matter of preference. I posted saying the same too.

Either way, you guys want to spend your time arguing a point that really can't be won for either side have fun ;)

Rev.

We are. :D

And I was the 2nd and 3rd post, so I've been here since the beginning.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
lol :) so is it caused by a dark area being in a certain part of the screen for extended periods or somethin?

I don't want to be insulting, but anyone talking about screen burn in on a phone is just plain bs'ing. The phone screen doesn't stay on for hours at a time on one screen like a PC that is sitting at a log on screen with the screen saver turned off. Plus we rotate our screens between portrait and landscape, I know I do. This burn in thing is the stupidest argument defense I've ever seen for a phone.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
They said "don't use it at full brightness" so take that for what you will.

We are. :D

And I was the 2nd and 3rd post, so I've been here since the beginning.

woohoo i live in y scotland... my brightnes is always at or below about 10% :) in your face beautiful sunny places your screen is gona bbuuurrrnnn :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

It's like how burn-in happens on CRT and older Plasma tv's. Keeping the same image on the same part of the screen for an extended period of time. How long it takes to actually happen isn't really known (or I haven't heard).

For me personally this was the only reason I needed to not want the SGSIII. I need something that can be used reliably outdoors. On full brightness it's a stretch with the S3, but if I'm going to get burn-in by using the phone the way it was intended then no thank you. I'm also not sure if the issue is going to eventually affect every phone, but I don't see this being a small problem. They all use the exact same panel.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to be insulting, but anyone talking about screen burn in on a phone is just plain bs'ing. The phone screen doesn't stay on for hours at a time on one screen like a PC that is sitting at a log on screen with the screen saver turned off. Plus we rotate our screens between portrait and landscape, I know I do. This burn in thing is the stupidest argument defense I've ever seen for a phone.

Rev.
lol every live wallpaper dev' should put this in their discription... "may slow down the ravages of screen burn in" :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Rev.

Except that Samsung says it happens. And have said how to avoid it happening.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It's like how burn-in happens on CRT and older Plasma tv's. Keeping the same image on the same part of the screen for an extended period of time. How long it takes to actually happen isn't really known (or I haven't heard).

For me personally this was the only reason I needed to not want the SGSIII. I need something that can be used reliably outdoors. On full brightness it's a stretch with the S3, but if I'm going to get burn-in by using the phone the way it was intended then no thank you. I'm also not sure if the issue is going to eventually affect every phone, but I don't see this being a small problem. They all use the exact same panel.

cheers Kev. great irish name mate ;)

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I was always under the impression it was from a static constant image being on the screen with the display on for long periods of time. The status bar at the top is the only thing on my phone that's constantly the same. Of course I've never actually seen burn in on a cell phone and I've owned a palm pre, photon, GSII and now a GS3. Makes me wonder just what these people are doing to cause it to happen.

I'm certainly no expert on displays

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I was always under the impression it was from a static constant image being on the screen with the display on for long periods of time. The status bar at the top is the only thing on my phone that's constantly the same. Of course I've never actually seen burn in on a cell phone and I've owned a palm pre, photon, GSII and now a GS3. Makes me wonder just what these people are doing to cause it to happen.

im guessing white areas would be the worse since black on an LCD display is the same as having the screen off. must admit its something i havent even heard of on tvs

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Using the phone on full brightness. What could you possibly do to purposely cause burn-in?

I can't think of any specific thing that Samsung changed that would make them acknowledge burn-in this versus the Galaxy Nexus, which has almost the same exact panel.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I never said that the One X didn't have problems. I never said it had less problems. I also never explicitly said that you said the S3 had no bugs. But you've failed to acknowledge them at all. Even when faced with threads pointing to all the bugs you deflect the issue. By failing to acknowledge them at all you are indirectly saying that you believe they don't exist. So no, you didn't say it, but you implied it.

What you're trying to do, and will be unsuccessful at, is to "discredit" people to the point that they won't be taken seriously. I'm sure the readers of this thread (your words, not mine) can decide who and who is "discredited" (IMO no one has, and no one will be).

Here's one that Samsung has admitted to, and has replied to people about. The screen will suffer from burn-in. That's worse than a bug. It's an admitted and known hardware issue that the manufacturer has admitted happens.

Read my original post. Replying to people with factual information and showing where they are inconsistent or untruthful is hardly discrediting. They do that to them selves when they post wrong or misleading information. Please cite where Samsung says they have a screen burn in problem.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by Mike 1978

Using the phone on full brightness. What could you possibly do to purposely cause burn-in?

I can't think of any specific thing that Samsung changed that would make them acknowledge burn-in this versus the Galaxy Nexus, which has almost the same exact panel.
Oh I'm certainly not looking for ways to accomplish it, I like my phone and my insurance has a deductible after all! I just see threads about burn in on XDA and sit there wondering what kind of abuse these poor smartphones must have endured. It seems to be an uncommon problem imo

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The notification bar is black, ie. not prone to burn in. The rest of the screen would change too often to have a static image to burn in. This argument is making the HTC guys really appear to be grasping at straws and this argument is so ridiculous I'm bowing out at this point. Have fun bickering guys.

Rev.

Maximus22

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Read my original post. Replying to people with factual information and showing where they are inconsistent or untruthful is hardly discrediting. They do that to them selves when they post wrong or misleading information. Please cite where Samsung says they have a screen burn in problem.

DUDE, just give up!! lol It's like watching someone with mental illness continually beat their head against a wall. Expecting different results, getting the same bruise every time....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
See THIS thread. Guess I don't need to source Samsung since IEEE says OLED of all varieties suffers from this.

But if that's not good enough here's THIS.

Google is amazing. It helps me find sources for things that I already know to be true. :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
well most sites i visit have white backgrounds and although white isnt truly a colour, its the brightest mix of 3 colours so that could cause burn-in (from how u guys describe it) but if most of the screen is getting burnt in at the same average rate then surely it wont be noticable?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey