So glad I didn't get the HTC One X

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The notification bar is black, ie. not prone to burn in. The rest of the screen would change too often to have a static image to burn in. This argument is making the HTC guys really appear to be grasping at straws and this argument is so ridiculous I'm bowing out at this point. Have fun bickering guys.

Rev.

For me at least this isn't about One X vs Galaxy S III anymore. Hasn't been for a while. I know each one has it's trade-offs, as do most people. It's what works best for you.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
For me at least this isn't about One X vs Galaxy S III anymore. Hasn't been for a while. I know each one has it's trade-offs, as do most people. It's what works best for you.

lol im just interested in this burn-in thing now :) im a heavy phone user (i dont have home broadband or a computer/tablet) so il be one of the first to feel the burn

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
That link was funny - bedside alarm clock, LMFAO!!! Any screen can burn in, it's a fact! I'm an IT Tech for a living and have seen every type of screen available burn in sticking an image on it in the same spot long enough. But no I don't use my phone as a desk side constantly displaying clock now nor would I ever.

And for the record I have an AMOLED mp3 player for about 3 years now and not a single hint of burn in anywhere. This is entertaining.

Rev.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Gotta love android, choice is good. I almost went to at@t for the one X. Then I got hold of the Sgt3. Story over! Love this beast! But the one X still seems nice as well. I have never liked HTC hardware much, but sense is a very nice skin. Just depend what you like, and that you are happy.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
The notification bar is black, ie. not prone to burn in. The rest of the screen would change too often to have a static image to burn in. This argument is making the HTC guys really appear to be grasping at straws and this argument is so ridiculous I'm bowing out at this point. Have fun bickering guys.

Rev.
I don't really think many folks here are bickering about it. Our Scottish friend asked a question and then we started exploring the subject, what it is and why it happens.

The rest of this thread One X or GS III is completely uninteresting to me both are fantastic android devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That link was funny - bedside alarm clock, LMFAO!!! Any screen can burn in, it's a fact! I'm an IT Tech for a living and have seen every type of screen available burn in sticking an image on it in the same spot long enough. But no I don't use my phone as a desk side constantly displaying clock now nor would I ever.

And for the record I have an AMOLED mp3 player for about 3 years now and not a single hint of burn in anywhere. This is entertaining.

Rev.

+ eleventy. I only run my amoled screens on max brightness so this way the whites will be white instead of blue. I have never had it below 100% for about two years. Not a single hint of screen burn in. All my friends run 100% for the same reason and non have had a issue with there Samsung phones.

Interesting side note. I have hit the home button instead of the space bar on my nexus 7 while typing this reply. If I would have done that on a one x, I would've had to type this entire reply again.... so eat it HTC fan boys:p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
+ eleventy. I only run my amoled screens on max brightness so this way the whites will be white instead of blue. I have never had it below 100% for about two years. Not a single hint of screen burn in. All my friends run 100% for the same reason and non have had a issue with there Samsung phones.

Interesting side note. I have hit the home button instead of the space bar on my nexus 7 while typing this reply. If I would have done that on a one x, I would've had to type this entire reply again.... so eat it HTC fan boys:p

kelso-burn.jpg

LOLOLOL :)

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
See THIS thread. Guess I don't need to source Samsung since IEEE says OLED of all varieties suffers from this.

But if that's not good enough here's THIS.

Google is amazing. It helps me find sources for things that I already know to be true. :)

You said, "Here's one that Samsung has admitted to, and has replied to people about. The screen will suffer from burn-in." You didn't provide a cite for that instead you provided an XDA thread and a denial form Samsung. See what I mean about credibility and people discrediting themselves.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You said, "Here's one that Samsung has admitted to, and has replied to people about. The screen will suffer from burn-in." You didn't provide a cite for that instead you provided an XDA thread and a denial form Samsung. See what I mean about credibility and people discrediting themselves.

OMG read the whole article. Talk about discredited. You just proved that you aren't reading the links people are providing.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
OMG read the whole article. Talk about discredited. You just proved that you aren't reading the links people are providing.

I read the articles. All I see is that some web site says Samsung will do xy and z. Where is the quote from Samsung admitting that or a notice from Samsung themselves. Citing third party information is ridiculous when trying to prove that an individual or company said something. Look up hear say.

Sazura65

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I was on the fence for a while there too.. and you and I both made the right choice to go with the Galaxy S III. It's an amazing phone - I can't put mine down.

A good friend of mine has the One X and loves it, and I've been able to do a few side by side comparisons. While I do admit the One X has a slightly better, brighter and clearer screen, I felt the One X simply had too many deal breaking issues (no expandable memory, non removable battery)

At least to me, the Galaxy S III is the king of Android.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Why isn't this thread locked yet? Especially with mods posting in it continuing the arguing.

@Jerry - I just want to say, I don't use haptic feedback, it's one of the most annoying "features" and also a waste of battery so I disable it immediately. Outside of that though the issues you describe I have none of and are such that you might have had a lemon and an exchange would have been in order. We had a poster recently that said how awful his S3 was and his problems were far too many to be normal and everyone attacked the poor guy. He eventually exchanged it and posted back how happy he was that he no longer had a single issue he had prior. I think you might have simply been that un lucky as he. Consider that.

Rev.

He was rev. This phone has very few minor issues out of the box. It's one reason why people of bought the device. Plus many issues could be brought on by apps and what not. Hox just had a lot more issues. From using the device I know it did. All of them had been software bugs but still.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy SIII

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure you quite understood what I was saying. By your own logic, if a large majority of a sampling have problems then statistically that device will have problems, which means you should avoid it (instead of trying to get the problem fixed/resolved), right? But if a large majority don't have problems, then get the device, right? But then what if you have problems? You get them fixed right? So I'm not understanding how you think you can have it both ways. Regardless of which phone you get (and if you really base it solely on someone else's experience then I'm sorry) if you have problems you get them taken care of.

Much of that is opinion. Which everyone is entitled to. But you listing your opinion on things and then saying they are fact is a flawed argument.

Here's a FACT: Google is moving away from SD card storage. Google is also moving away from the Home button. Samsung chose to keep those, which flies directly in the face of the direction Android is moving. NOT better for the community.

Not saying the One X is perfect. It has it's own quirks and issues (as do all phones), but pretending that the S3 doesn't is fanboyish at best. Yes, HTC severely limited the multi-tasking (which is how they designed it, really), but I can choose to fix that with custom roms. What I can't do with the S3 is make the screen as good as the one on the One X. So no, not everyone will root, but at least they have a choice to fix a flaw the manufacturer built-in. Buy the S3 and you're stuck with a screen that just isn't as good.

ANDROID IS ABOUT CHOICE Google is not apple just cause Google didn't put a removable SD card in the nexus phones doesn't mean they want other companies to do the same it was THEIR CHOICE to do that just like it was Samsung's choice to keep the design of the s3 universal and add SD storage

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I read the articles. All I see is that some web site says Samsung will do xy and z. Where is the quote from Samsung admitting that or a notice from Samsung themselves. Citing third party information is ridiculous when trying to prove that an individual or company said something. Look up hear say.

I guess you missed the part where it's in the owners manual, which is written by Samsung and not a third party.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
ANDROID IS ABOUT CHOICE Google is not apple just cause Google didn't put a removable SD card in the nexus phones doesn't mean they want other companies to do the same it was THEIR CHOICE to do that just like it was Samsung's choice to keep the design of the s3 universal and add SD storage

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. That doesn't change the fact that they are holding the platform back by including such things.

And yes, whatever Google does with the Nexus means that's exactly what they want other companies to do. It's the flagship phone and runs exactly the way Google wants, with the specific hardware they specified. It's Google's way of saying "look, this is our idea of what an Android phone should be." But do we really want to get into Android vs. Android-based?

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21