10-13-2012 04:25 AM
49 12
tools
    It's a shocking title considering the GS3 is regarded as the fastest phone currently on the market. I was expecting a lag free experiment when I payed a butt load of money for it.

Sadly, my phone lags, especially when pressing the home key and returning to my home screen. TouchWiz got way too laggy (With 3 pages in the main screen, nothing more) to the point that I had to switch over to GO Launcher and even then, this one still lags.

I admit, I am an app junkie, but 95% of my apps are organized in folder. Does it depend on how much free Internal memory there is? I have the 16 GB version (With a 32GB SD card) and almost 12 of the available-for-user 14 GB's are full.

Any thoughts? The phone is not rooted/unlocked.
    08-17-2012 04:29 PM
    Oh geez, there are like 95 threads on this and there is a solution:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...asy-steps.html

Don't recall if it also tells in that thread how to resolve the home button lag but it's caused by the S3 waiting a fraction of a second for a second button push (or not) to activate S-Voice. if you don't use S-Voice disable it and no more home button lag.

Rev.
    Tkbredx likes this.
    08-17-2012 04:34 PM
    Makes since, I just did this and yea I am feeling the phone is shaking off that lagginess. Though, stuff like the home menu widgets/apps still take sometime to load, is there a solution for that? I might not have noticed the effect since I just toyed with these 2 scales ...
    08-17-2012 04:42 PM
    It's a shocking title considering the GS3 is regarded as the fastest phone currently on the market. I was expecting a lag free experiment when I payed a butt load of money for it.

Sadly, my phone lags, especially when pressing the home key and returning to my home screen. TouchWiz got way too laggy (With 3 pages in the main screen, nothing more) to the point that I had to switch over to GO Launcher and even then, this one still lags.

I admit, I am an app junkie, but 95% of my apps are organized in folder. Does it depend on how much free Internal memory there is? I have the 16 GB version (With a 32GB SD card) and almost 12 of the available-for-user 14 GB's are full.

Any thoughts? The phone is not rooted/unlocked.
    Go to settings scroll to developer options go to transition animation turn it off and Window animation turn. Off

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    RawisTheGameHhH likes this.
    08-17-2012 04:56 PM
    My home screen icons load instantly, most I even see is a super quick flash and even that is rare. However, I don't use any widgets. Also not sure if it's mentioned in that thread but disabling some of the bloatware apps will help speed up your device. This thread details a lot of it, great advice in there:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post1972663

*EDIT - I have animations turned off as well btw.

Rev.
    08-17-2012 04:57 PM
    my folders take ages to write and fill with apps sometimes. using a live wallpaper slows things down a lot though.
    amount of internal memory shouldnt matter
    08-17-2012 07:27 PM
    There might be something wrong with your phone or to many apps running in the background. I haven't even changed the animation scale and mine is as quick as ever.
    08-17-2012 11:51 PM
    I have yet to see any serious lag about once a week I may see a hiccup in the ui

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-17-2012 11:56 PM
    ive just done a test using a still wallpaper and theres zero lag or re-write returning to home from a few heavy apps so guess thats the price u pay for usin LWPs
    08-18-2012 12:07 AM
    Also just turning pages will stutter with Power Saving on. Atleast it did for both my Galaxy S2 and S3
    08-18-2012 02:58 AM
    yeah power saving is only worth using when youre just usin the phone as a phone. for everything else it has to be off. it underclocks the processor so it makes things really jaggy
    08-18-2012 03:10 AM
    Pretty sure I have this same issue and I don't know what to do to fix it.

Whenever I press my home key to get to the home screen it goes to the home screen almost instantly but it takes a few extra seconds for the keyboard to disappear. The samsung weather widget takes an extra second to refresh itself and then everything is ok. I also notice this issue the most when sending a message. I type the message, press send and then the home key to escape out of the messaging app. This is the time I get the above mentioned behavior the most. One of the only things that is driving me nuts about the phone.
    08-18-2012 10:26 PM
    Pretty sure I have this same issue and I don't know what to do to fix it.

Whenever I press my home key to get to the home screen it goes to the home screen almost instantly but it takes a few extra seconds for the keyboard to disappear. The samsung weather widget takes an extra second to refresh itself and then everything is ok. I also notice this issue the most when sending a message. I type the message, press send and then the home key to escape out of the messaging app. This is the time I get the above mentioned behavior the most. One of the only things that is driving me nuts about the phone.
    Not for me (just tested it). However I am using SwiftKey so that might be the difference.

Mike
    08-19-2012 10:15 AM
    I have the LTE Galaxy Nexus and I had the same problem, but only with Swiftkey taking an extra second to disappear. After I flashed it to Jelly Bean, that problem went away and I have yet to see any lag anywhere. I won't ever get a regular Samsung phone just because of Touchwiz. I've always thought Touchwiz was too iOS like and thought it bogged down Android.
    08-19-2012 10:29 AM
    I have this issue too. Nothing to do with animation speed settings, s voice or power saving - pressing the home key sometimes (and this varies 'sometimes' can be nearly all the time to occasionally) results in a flash of a black screen then stuttering redrawing of app icons and dock shortcuts. I changed to adw launcher which slightly improved it but this is now as bad. App drawer also occasionally redraws which means I have to wait to choose an app. Like you say not what you'd expect from the 'world's fastest phone'. Will try and capture a video of the issue...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    08-20-2012 06:11 AM
    I have this issue too. Nothing to do with animation speed settings, s voice or power saving - pressing the home key sometimes (and this varies 'sometimes' can be nearly all the time to occasionally) results in a flash of a black screen then stuttering redrawing of app icons and dock shortcuts. I changed to adw launcher which slightly improved it but this is now as bad. App drawer also occasionally redraws which means I have to wait to choose an app. Like you say not what you'd expect from the 'world's fastest phone'. Will try and capture a video of the issue...

ive never had black screen frames when doing that but any time ive had a bit of lag or stutter when returning to home screen (when im not using a live wallpaper) is when i have some heavy apps running in bakground and im pressing home from the browser. im on the international though so half the total ram of the US models
    08-20-2012 06:21 AM
    ....its always my clock widget thats last to draw itself so when that appears, i know i can swipe through the other homescreens happily and all the folders will be drawn.. we'r talkin bout fractions of a second here but u seem to notice it on a phone..
    08-20-2012 06:24 AM
    How much RAM is 'average' used and spare? My phone has around 110 spare and 600 odd used. Running processes seem appropriate.

08-20-2012 06:30 AM
    aye im on gt-i9300 and around 600 used is about average i think m8
    08-20-2012 06:31 AM
    Ta, probably not that causing it then!

08-20-2012 06:32 AM
    yeah its not a fault in how the phone is using its ram but to me its a fault in the phone with the firmware thats in it. a phone this expensive shouldnt have that bit of lag we'r experiencing. id say the hardware is being held back by the firmware though and once we get Jellybean, a few months of updates after that, the phone will probably be the smoothest piece of tech we've ever held
    clintw22 likes this.
    08-20-2012 06:36 AM
    Fingers crossed. Been resisting returning it for a replacement due to the fuss involved but it gets really annoying. That said it's not doing it now!!

08-20-2012 06:40 AM
    what does it get on Quadrant app m8?
    08-20-2012 06:54 AM
    download Quadrant and run a full test. total score on the GT should be around 52**
    quadrant cant be taken seriously in comparing different models of phone but i find it a good way to make sure my phone is healthy
    08-20-2012 07:00 AM
    fs think this is the highest quadrant ive had and that was without rebooting or killing apps... seems like the s3 prefers to be under pressure.. if thats not evidence enough that task killers are no longer needed in android then i dont know what is lol
    08-20-2012 07:08 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD