Kies for Mac and Mountain Lion Solution!

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
What's up guys.
Found a solution for all Mac users on Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4163556?start=0&tstart=0

Link provides info for:
1. How to install Kies on mountain lion

Solution :

1.Download Samsung Kies: http://j.mp/dlkiesz

2.Open the DMG

3.Right click on the "kies20mac_s9218.pkg", then open it with "The Unarchiver"

4.You should see a file named "kies20mac_s9218", open it.

5.Right click on the "contents.pkg", and click "Show Package Contents"

6.Double click "Payload", it will create a folder named "Payload 2 2", double click it.

7.Double click "Applications", then you will see Kies, drag it to the application folder, installation complete!

Get The Unarchiver here: Mac App Store - The Unarchiver

2. What to do if Kies auto-detects you're on mountain lion and prevents syncing from then on.

1) Open the Kies menu and select Preferences
2) Click on the Update tab at the end
3) Uncheck the 'Notify when updates are available'
4) Close and restart Kies.
5) Now try connecting your device.

Hope Samsung updates Kies ASAP. Hope this helps!

Reactions: ashishb and Bla1ze

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
That does work however, it still asks you to update and then you get the "Unknown OS" error again so be sure to kill off the updates as noted. But ya, for the sole purpose of syncing this will indeed work.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I did this, but Kies never finds my phone. It's as if I never plugged anything in. I have it on "media device" too, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. This installation worked great though.

mitchythekid

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
This does NOT work on my 2008 MBP. When I connect my Galaxy S3, under connected devices it just shows connected with a spinner next to it. It never shows the phone. I've tried forever to get this to work with no luck.

mitchythekid

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
That does work ok but I want to be able to sync my songs, videos, & podcasts without having to pick and choose a bunch of files to copy over. People may hate Apple and iTunes but it is the gold standard compared to this.

iNDiGLo

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I have done a ton of research on this issue and have found the following facts:

While it is possible to get Samsung Kies to install on a Mac running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8 you will not be able to sync your phone to it UNLESS when your Mac was running OSX Lion 10.7 you previously had Samsung Kies installed.

If you are trying to install Samsung Kies on a Mac running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8 that NEVER had Kies install when your Mac has OSXLion 10.7 then you are out of luck until Samsung upgrades Kies.

Most posts or threads you find in a Google search that talks about how easy it is to get Kies installed on 10.8 fail to mention that just installing the app on 10.8 does you no good if your phone won't sync to it.

So to sum it all up:

Mac running OSX 10.7 Lion with Kies installed -> Upgrade to OSX 10.8 -> Do the Kies workaround -> Phone will sync
Mac running OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion -> Do the Kies workaround -> Phone won't sync

Reactions: Bill484

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2010 iMac with 10.7 installed. I tried Kies and couldn't get it to work at all. I installed iSyncr with the wifi add on. Yes, it costs a few bucks!

iSyncr allows me to wirelessly sync my playlists, including Smart playlists to AND from my phone. I think it also updates the play count. It uploads any music I buy from Amazon MP3 and adds it to an Amazon MP3 playlist in iTunes. It also uploads photos taken on the phone if you choose.

I have mine set up to sync at 2:00 am every night. It works brilliantly with no brain damage. I honestly don't even think about it except when to post about it here.

iTunes is the gold standard IMO and drag and drop is not an option for me. Two way syncing automatically without having to connect is the way to go. It works as well as the iPhone sync, wifi sync when connected to a power source.

Reactions: Bill484

alanandroid

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
So you want to connect your Samsung Galaxy S3 to a Mac running Mountain Lion?
This is what I do..
I've tried a few ways to get around this problem but I find the easiest solution to getting files from A to B or B to A is by using a usb flash drive connector. I transfer any desired file from my Mac to the flash drive and then connect the flash drive to the S3 and then use the file transfer app on the S3 to move the files to wherever I want them. Again, if I want to transfer my pictures or video from my S3 to my Mac I once again just connect the flash drive to my S3 and move them to the flash drive and then to the Mac. You can buy this cable from Amazon or any decent Mobile phone outlet. One end is the the male mini usb(S3) and the other end is the female usb(flash drive). The trouble with the other solutions I've tried is that they generally transfer over wi-fi and although this does work it can be fairly slow. Using the usb connector I find it to be much quicker and I can just get the job done.
Of course the real issue here is.. we've got our ?500 phone and we can't connect it to the bloody computer without jumping through hoops! To be honest it's a joke and Samsung need their ass's kicking.. Tutorial and Rant over.

alanandroid

rrebuffo

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The only two files in the package are:
1. The Kies App
2. A Kernel Extension.
Why don't you just install the Kernel Extension in Mountain Lion, reboot and reconnect the phone? It should work. Try using a tool like Kext Utility.

fuma_

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
rrebuffo has the correct answer.

You could get tricky and extract the package with pacifist, and modify the install plist that checks the system requirements, then re run the installer...

BUT it's a LOT easier to extract "keis.app" and "ssuddrv.kext" with pacifist (extract the "payload" file, then double click it in finder to expand)... place the app in your applications directory, and manually install the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ (with root:wheel permissions) - via a kext install utility or yourself via command line -

(copy ssuddrv.kext into /System/Library/Extensions)

then

Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot.

Make sure your USB option is set to MTP, then wait a few for it to discover the phone.

Ricardo Rosenberg

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
When I dowloaded the Kies from the link I got the file called KiesMac_1.3.0.12062_4_1.dmg and I wasn't able to extract the file on the unarchiver. Where can I download the kies20mac_s9218.pkg?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Download from Here: Kies
It should be: KiesMac_1.3.0.12084_6.dmg

When you install you will be prompted to update, accept.

I installed it on my daughters Mac (10.8) a few days ago just to test (Even though I do not use MACS) and it works perfect.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I updated to OS X 10.8.2 today and Kies Air Build 1.3.0.12093_4 is back to the previous problem where the device connecting state just cycles on forever. Looks like this build is the most current when checking via the Update feature in Kies. Seems as if specific Kies builds are tied to work up to a particular OS X version, such that the 1.3.0.12093_4 build was released prior to OS X 10.8.2.

As others have suggested, I installed AirDroid and first impressions are that its a great app. I downloaded a bunch of recent photos and videos and am able to browse the filesystem easily. With AirDroid I may not worry as much as before or try to rely upon Kies going forward. The only other piece I'm missing now is a solid backup application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae