In the last three days I have had the same problem once a day so far. The S3 is on because the LED will be flashing with a notification but when I proceed to turn it on it will not. As much as I try it will not turn on and I have to proceed to remove the battery and restart the phone.
    The phone is not rooted.
    08-20-2012 03:40 PM
    its not rooted so you havent bleeped anythin up mate so id return it
    08-20-2012 05:03 PM
    Are you using any programs that customize your notifications or how the LED operates?
    08-20-2012 05:20 PM
    yeah lightflow or anythin?
    if u can remember when it started, try n delete all the recent apps you installed around that time. if that fails factory reset. if that fails return it
    08-20-2012 05:29 PM
    Are you doing anything in particular before the screen shuts off?

A friend was having a (sort of) similar problem. I don't know if anything else was triggering it, but they said the fullscreen app screenshots in the Play store would time a long time to load. The screen would time out, and when they tried to turn it back on, it seemed like it wasn't working. The screen was totally black, no backlighting at all and definitely off. Eventually, they ended up hitting the back button on accident, and it lit up and went back to the description/info screen. If they tried to get to the fullscreen screenshot again after that, it was fine.
    08-20-2012 06:07 PM
    Are you doing anything in particular before the screen shuts off?

A friend was having a (sort of) similar problem. I don't know if anything else was triggering it, but they said the fullscreen app screenshots in the Play store would time a long time to load. The screen would time out, and when they tried to turn it back on, it seemed like it wasn't working. The screen was totally black, no backlighting at all and definitely off. Eventually, they ended up hitting the back button on accident, and it lit up and went back to the description/info screen. If they tried to get to the fullscreen screenshot again after that, it was fine.
    yeah i have that exact same issue with play store but dont think its related. the screen doesnt go actualy off, its just showing pure black and LED screens like the s3 arent backlit so black is true black (zero light)
    08-20-2012 06:10 PM
    That's what I'm getting, a totally true black screen. Next time it happens I'll try the back button. Other than that no LED apps. What I have done is mostly download some launchers and customizing the heck out of the icons and all else. Have some pics posted in another forum.
    Thanks!
    08-20-2012 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD