can anyone explain this to me...

if my friends have any problem with their phones, even if they damaged it by accident, they can simply bring their iphone to the apple store and 9 out of 10 times they get a brand new phone to use.

i cracked my samsung s3 screen. did not opt for insurance because its a f***ing ripoff through AT&T. my only option was to send it to samsung to get it fixed for $179. the insurance route would have costed me $200 deductible + $10 a month on my monthly bills.

unless i am missing something there, what gives? i love my new s3, i always take care of my technology, just one slip up this time and it costed me big time.
    08-21-2012 05:45 PM
    Apple customer service is very good if you are fortunate enough to have an Apple store nearby. Their Apple Care + for $99 is a good deal too, which is why I think most people buy it.

The carrier insurance is simply not as competitive, which makes it tough on an average user. God forbid you drop your phone in the toilet. I guess this is why there is such a huge market for protective cases and used phones on eBay.

I personally buy my phones at Best Buy because of their Black Tie protection plan. It is $10 per month, but it covers replacements at a $0 deductible with no limits. The only catch is that it doesn't cover lost or stolen phones.
    08-21-2012 05:51 PM
    thanks for the reply. should have done my homework on the best places to purchase a phone. no more buying direct through carriers. now i can only hope that i never drop my s3 again.

can't do bulky cases, they take away from the design. went with a rock quicksand thin case, but like i said hopefully dropping it wont be an issue.

rats! btw my phone was shipped out to samsung on 8/8 and its still "under repair" today. not fun using an old phone.
    08-21-2012 05:59 PM
    Maybe it's worth it for Apple to keep phone replacement incidents quiet and this is one way to do that. If the customer is happy they don't complain. Of course then everyone thinks that iPhones never have problems and the mystique continues.
    08-21-2012 06:44 PM
    Egg, do yourself a favor and get a dual layer case! I've dropped mine several times at the gym on HARD machines and all is well!! If you don't, you're just asking for trouble. The SGS3 is a delicate phone....everyone knows this! Learn from your mistakes!
    08-21-2012 07:32 PM
    Egg, do yourself a favor and get a dual layer case! I've dropped mine several times at the gym on HARD machines and all is well!! If you don't, you're just asking for trouble. The SGS3 is a delicate phone....everyone knows this! Learn from your mistakes!
    +1 on this advice. I know the phone won't be as sexy, but at least it will work and won't cost you an arm and a leg to fix it.
    08-21-2012 09:28 PM
    $200 deductable seems really steep man. mine is 50 which isnt too bad for a phone that cost me 600
    08-22-2012 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD