Anybody here think the iPhone 5 will not be able to match the GS3

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
....let alone beat the GS3 even though it is coming out almost 4 months after the GS3 was launched? I think the iPhone is targeting a completely different demographic in terms of their critical user base now - people who don't care about features, people who like familiarity in terms of phone operation and don't like change...etc.

I believe the iPhone 5 has fallen so behind the Android super phones like the GS3 and the HOX, that they will never challenge Android again in terms of what they can offer in smartphone features and user experience.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anybody here think the iPhone 5 will not be able to match the

Agree and disagree here. From what I have seen, Apple is getting away from solid, reliable, integrated OS functions with the iPhone 5 and really shooting for some Gee Whiz features that will likely be unique but poorly implemented. One that really sticks out to me is the [power-sucking] laser table top keyboard. These folks haven't yet produced a decent softkeyboard and now this wacky feature?? Maybe you can buy a Pink Floyd album in their ty proprietary format to listen to while you check out the laser show, but forget writing home about it.

Apple's real strength in the smartphone realm still lies in some of its apps and their integration. It is powerful in its own right. Show me video production and editor apps in Android that are as good and easy to use as 8mm and iMovie on the iPhone 4. Do you think its users care that the format is in a lousy proprietary format when they can do what they do?

I shouldn't need to mention that I personally prefer Android for numerous productivity, customization capabilities and freedom.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
....let alone beat the GS3 even though it is coming out almost 4 months after the GS3 was launched? I think the iPhone is targeting a completely different demographic in terms of their critical user base now - people who don't care about features, people who like familiarity in terms of phone operation and don't like change...etc.

I believe the iPhone 5 has fallen so behind the Android super phones like the GS3 and the HOX, that they will never challenge Android again in terms of what they can offer in smartphone features and user experience.

In what ways does the iPhone 5 fall short? For that matter, how does the 4S fall short of the GSIII?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Vengeful

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Tired of these posts, get the phone that YOU like and that's it, who cares which one u or anyone else decides to use.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh boy is right, the iphone 5 is not out yet and we still dont have all the final details of ios6. Yes the ios is becoming stagnant and going the way of rim with os 5,6,7. However, the hardware of the iphone 5 might make the difference and gain back some market share for apple camp. Lets wait till we know what apple is packing. As of right now the gsiii is king compared to iphone4s and i can argue that the gnex running jelly bean is too. Lets wait and see.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I could careless what Apple brings to the table. Even if they implement quad-cores it wouldn't impress me. Would tick me off that we couldn't get them on our US SGS3's though, lol!

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I always wonder why if a person is so happy with what they have, why the constant fascination with what they don't have or say they don't want.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Syrous44

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

youre right that iphone is a very different device for a very different customer. its like chalk and cheese.
the s3 is the first phone that ive noticed discussions like this about. is this what happens when so many i-users try their first android?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I could careless what Apple brings to the table. Even if they implement quad-cores it wouldn't impress me. Would tick me off that we couldn't get them on our US SGS3's though, lol!

grr americans getting phrases wrong lol its "i couldnt care less" meaning i care zero so i couldnt care less. if u say "i could care less" it means you must care a bit lol :p sorry :)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

grr americans getting phrases wrong lol its "i couldnt care less" meaning i care zero so i couldnt care less. if u say "i could care less" it means you must care a bit lol :p sorry :)

Thank you for the clarification professor funky! :p lol

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Yes but the most valuable company in history is American. ;-)

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

youre melcome student GrooveRight lol :)
sorry i saw an english comedien have the same "poke fun at north americans" rant on tv the other night and youre the first person ive spotted writing it. bet u say "aluminium" wrong lol :p

djgadget

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

There are no details of the product released, so how can anyone answer the question... I agree, that Apple's strength is the App Store, and not the iOS, which will go the way of RIM...

What pisses me off, is that in the last 18 months, I have had retool my machines, to manufacture the MicroSIM and now the NanoSIM... I am a SIM manufacturer... and get this, not only is it smaller than the MicroSIM, it is also thinner... :mad:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I have no disdain for Apple and I hope the new iPhone blows our socks off. Apple set the standard by which all others are measured by. The better the new iPhone is, the better the next generations of Android phones will be. There is no Apple hate in me, it's actually quite the opposite. I have 3 Mac computers and an iPad. My wife and daughter both have iPhones, one of which I passed down when I got my GS3. I am an Apple stock holder and very happy I am!

But here I am on AC using my favorite new toy, my GS3! I am a tech minded person who likes to tinker and play around with things. I like customizing and making things my own. I can't do that with an iPhone. I like the latest technology, the 4s form factor and OS were getting stale to me. Oh, and a 1.3" screen size difference was what pushed me over the edge.

Like what you like. Buy what you want and what works best for you. Try not to hate Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. The competition and constant innovation will allow us to keep buying new and amazing devices as often as we can afford / justify the cost.

I guess we will have to wait patiently until the announcement on 9/12 to see if the new iPhone will be able to match the GS3.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There are no details of the product released, so how can anyone answer the question... I agree, that Apple's strength is the App Store, and not the iOS, which will go the way of RIM...

What pisses me off, is that in the last 18 months, I have had retool my machines, to manufacture the MicroSIM and now the NanoSIM... I am a SIM manufacturer... and get this, not only is it smaller than the MicroSIM, it is also thinner... :mad:

oh man that must be SO annoying lol

weezul

May 5, 2012
Visit site

with such a locked down system... i don't see how an iPhone can ever compete with an S3. At least not for me, I thoroughly enjoy being in full control of my devices, I remember my first computer, i was 9 at the time and i spent countless hours/days/months tweaking Autoexec.bat and Config.sys! Those were the days. People want everything to be done so easily now without thinking, which means true hardcore customisation is the first thing to go in an apple system.
Just off the top of my head, a few things I have done with my S3 so far which I've not witnessed on an iPhone:

Complete backup of phone (including firmware/modem/kernel etc) to internal or external SD
External SD card!
Google Now>offline voice to text,
Tweaking current flow for charging times over USB/AC
Sideloading apps away from an app store, (without needing root/jailbreak)
Much easier to connect to and more importantly stream SMB shares on my home network (they can be forwarded to any application, I watched my friend try this on his iPad and he required two apps from the app store, including one just to play the file because the native player won't read from an SMB share without downloading the file first)
Offline google maps
Complete customization of nigh on every visual aspect of the phone
Use phone as a server
etc etc...

Maybe you can do this stuff on an iPhone, but the point is the majority of users do not. Different strokes and all that. I want to be balls deep in my technology, especially after paying a lot of money, and apple hates that. No doubting they make a great, powerful phone. But its their way or the highway, at least that's how it appears to me. Android is the total opposite. Go forth and with everything!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

We already know most of what is in iOS6, so I don't expect many surprises with the iPhone 5, especially given all the leaks and rumors.

Really, about the only thing I suspect I will care about (that the iPhone 5 will beat the GSIII in) is the camera, which no doubt will be better.

There are a couple iOS functions I wish Android had (the tap-to-top feature where you tap the notification bar and the app or page scrolls back to the top and then the 4-finger-swipe functionality to quickly scroll through your previously used apps). But for the most part, Android passed iOS a couple years ago for the things I care about (I jumped ship with Gingerbread).

No doubt the iPhone 5 will sell well, of course. It's not like it's a bad phone or anything (and it's got better marketing, more media hype, and of course the 'iPhone' is practically a household name that people use to say "smartphone"), but iOS is starting to feel dated since it really hasn't gone anywhere. iOS 5 and 6 mostly just added features Android's had for years, and even the iPhone hardware (after years of claiming 3.5" is the perfect size) is now getting bigger, although still small compared to high-end Android phones. And after going years claiming there wasn't a market for smaller tablets, we'll probably see an iPad Mini soon. Not that they shouldn't move into markets that have proven successful, but the last two years or so, Apple has been more reactive than proactive.

Just my two cents. I'm not even going to consider the iPhone 5 because of the software....don't care how good the hardware is since i already know iOS6 is way behind what I want out of an operating system.

phillytim

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Is that a feeling of insecurity that I detect????