Anybody here think the iPhone 5 will not be able to match the GS3

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
with such a locked down system... i don't see how an iPhone can ever compete with an S3. At least not for me, I thoroughly enjoy being in full control of my devices, I remember my first computer, i was 9 at the time and i spent countless hours/days/months tweaking Autoexec.bat and Config.sys! Those were the days. People want everything to be done so easily now without thinking, which means true hardcore customisation is the first thing to go in an apple system.
Just off the top of my head, a few things I have done with my S3 so far which I've not witnessed on an iPhone:

Complete backup of phone (including firmware/modem/kernel etc) to internal or external SD
External SD card!
Google Now>offline voice to text,
Tweaking current flow for charging times over USB/AC
Sideloading apps away from an app store, (without needing root/jailbreak)
Much easier to connect to and more importantly stream SMB shares on my home network (they can be forwarded to any application, I watched my friend try this on his iPad and he required two apps from the app store, including one just to play the file because the native player won't read from an SMB share without downloading the file first)
Offline google maps
Complete customization of nigh on every visual aspect of the phone
Use phone as a server
etc etc...

Maybe you can do this stuff on an iPhone, but the point is the majority of users do not. Different strokes and all that. I want to be balls deep in my technology, especially after paying a lot of money, and apple hates that. No doubting they make a great, powerful phone. But its their way or the highway, at least that's how it appears to me. Android is the total opposite. Go forth and with everything!

So this:
10 PRINT "HEY"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

means something to you...haha

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anybody here think the iPhone 5 will not be able to match the

And I think that we should buy American, rather than a bunch of cheap Korean knock-offs!

Who is supplying some of the chips in the iPhone? Samsung

Where will the iPhone most likely be assembled? China

Just thought you may want to consider these items. I am Korean-American born/raised and proud of it.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Just thought you may want to consider these items. I am Korean-American born/raised and proud of it.

Well said. The amount of ignorance perpetuated in forums is astonishing. Just because Apple is an American company doesn't mean iPhone is entirely made in USA.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Oh boy is right, the iphone 5 is not out yet and we still dont have all the final details of ios6. Yes the ios is becoming stagnant and going the way of rim with os 5,6,7. However, the hardware of the iphone 5 might make the difference and gain back some market share for apple camp. Lets wait till we know what apple is packing. As of right now the gsiii is king compared to iphone4s and i can argue that the gnex running jelly bean is too. Lets wait and see.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Gain back market share? Do some research, as Apple's marketshare is increasing while Android is decreasing.
GS3 king? Just an opinion. IOS going the way of RIM? LOL!
I have had Android since the original Droid, and recently switched to a 4S. I can say for myself, and probably 95% of users, that the iPhone does what we need it to do. I know that there are techies that love to tinker, and maybe Android is best for them, but 95% doesn't "tinker".
Maybe with "Project Butter" Android will be as smooth as IOS, but then again, Jelly Bean will be a LONG time coming to a lot of phones, if ever. That is a shame, as Android is a great system, and users deserve to get the updates in a timely manner.
Lastly, NO Android phone has a camera comparable to an iPhone, IMHO. Android manufacturers need to "step it up" in the camera department.
I am not bashing Android, as I still have an Incredible 2 as a backup, and may activate it every now and then just to play with it, but as far as a stable platform for the 95% of smartphone users, IOS is the way to go. Just my $.02.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

And I think that we should buy American, rather than a bunch of cheap Korean knock-offs!

The gent/lady above said it correctly.

Also, regarding Apple, the company blossoms on hype which it has in spades. That and putting out a solid product with excellent customer service. At this point, they could release a phone that is shaped as a coil of poo and it would still be eaten up by the masses. I mean, the phone release announcement hasn't been officially made and the media is heralding it as the biggest tech release in the universe.

The following video clip MAY offend some, but I find it humourous and you don't need to click it, but this is what Apple has as a following :)

PS I still love my Apple products, so take my post with a grain of salt.

I want an iphone 4 - YouTube

weezul

May 5, 2012
Visit site

So this:
10 PRINT "HEY"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

means something to you...haha

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

that could only end badly!!
Well, I used to make crappy little text games using IF ERRORLEVEL and the CHOICE command, and then I learnt some stuff to do with text and border colours there was another EXE that could do clever things to the screen such as give it a coloured border, and stuff like that, but for the life of me I forget the name of that EXE, i bought a book about it. But this was sooo long ago!
Infact the best thing i ever did to autoexec.bat was just before i left primary school (i was 10! ) and i left this on tthe machine:

CLS
ECHO THIS IS THE MILLENNIUM BUG. DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING OR EVERYTHING WILL BE DELETED
PAUSE ;this makes "Press Any Key To Continue" appear
CLS

I got told a few years later that they diddn't dare network the machine up because of that message hahaha!!
Coupled with the day I found all the Microsoft Music WAVs in the program files folder, and put the Electric Guitar sample as the start up sound, and cranked the volume before going home....good times.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as apple being an American company, sure it is at the head.

But you have to look deeper to see that all of their devices are made in China or surrounding countries, mostly at Foxconn.

Any company can have products made there to apple's specs, but most companies don't want to pay $1500 for a midrange laptop with an aluminum case. My Dell that I bought for $500 2 years ago had twice the specs of a comparable MacBook at the time. I have had apple products before. A MacBook and 3 iPhones (3g, 3gs and a 4), and I still use an apple router for my home network.

Will I buy from them again? No. That is not hate, just an understanding that I don't like to be dictated to as to what is good enough for me by a company.

As for the iPhone 5 being better than the SIII, I don't think it will be, but that is a question that you will get different responses from all that are asked. As stated previously, some people don't care about the specs as long as it does what they want it to do when they tap an icon. Also there are the people that have their whole lifestyle tied to a specific app store.

So when the question is asked, is the SIII better than the iPhone 5? You also have to ask yourself the question, at what? Pure processing power, data handling, media consumption, customization etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Either way I'm going to pick up the next iPhone just to try it out, I at least have to try the every highend phone on vzw...;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
doesnt most of that profit go to major shareholders who probably dont pay tax in US and probably spend most of it on imported goods?

Well, that Korean company he mentioned is building a 4 billion dollar factory in Austin Texas (using american workers) which will employ American workers to build parts for Apple ;)

In other words, ignore the troll. They call it a global economy because it's global.

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Tired of these posts, get the phone that YOU like and that's it, who cares which one u or anyone else decides to use.

I agree, a great phone can be made by multiple companies. Sometimes we forget, we all love TECH!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Seriously who cares about hypothetical devices that haven't come out yet? Depending on the user buy a phone that does what you need. The og evo to this day is 2 yrs old and honestly can do about the same thing that my new evo does. Yes its a hair slower. Yes the screen is a bit worse etc but this fascination with should I wait and which is better gets rediculous. That's the problem people are greedy and want to feel they have the best.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, that Korean company he mentioned is building a 4 billion dollar factory in Austin Texas (using american workers) which will employ American workers to build parts for Apple ;)

In other words, ignore the troll. They call it a global economy because it's global.

yeah thats what i was thinkin m8 :) why buy a phone with the company based in US just to make the shareholders richer? ;)

chakdev

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

I think iPhone 5 will beat GS3 for sure. I'm talking about this from the hardware+software perspective, not how well will it sell. Reason? The separating months between the release of gs3 and iphone 5 (rumored to be some time in Sept this year). GS3 and all other major android phones are already available in the market.

Apple now gets to study, pinpoint their weaknesses, and tweak iPhone 5, so that when iPhone 5 is well positioned to compete with GS3 and next year's android phones.

If iPhone 5 does not beat GS3 this time, it certainly indicates quality change in Apple's management after Steve Jobs left.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

No. I feel like they could match it hardware-wise. I have not tried iOS since 5.0.1 so I have no idea what iOS6 will be.

Lets just say they will both be great phones for the users.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Apple has something like 1,000 chip design engineers. They designed the chip and Samsung manufactures it.
iPhones are assembled in China and Brazil.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae