Well, I've been through the phone settings from top to bottom, but I can't find anything to account for this behavior, and since it just started happening on my wife's Rezound after it got bumped to ICS I can only assume that ICS is to blame: whenever the phone finishes charging (in the dock; not sure if it happens during normal charging) the screen gets turned on and stays on until you press the power button to turn it off. It's particularly annoying on her phone since she keeps the brightness turned way up - it's like the beacon from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in the middle of the night.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop this annoying behavior? Anybody else having this problem?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    08-22-2012 12:33 AM
    lol ive never had an ICS phone do the holy grail thing but then ive never used a dock. does it do that with a normal charger?
    08-22-2012 12:39 AM
    ...love your sig' btw im a Commodore 64 man
    08-22-2012 12:40 AM
    Thanks - I haven't determined if it only happens with the docks yet - guess tonight we'll have to plug in directly and see what happens.

But this didn't happen on her Rezound (in the dock) prior to the ICS update. Just wondering if there's a way to turn that off.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    08-22-2012 12:55 AM
    i honestly dont know mate sorry
    08-22-2012 01:01 AM
    By looking at all the posts on the ICS update and all the issues that came after it sounds like the developers need to iron out the issues. I don't have an answer for your issue and can't find an answer for the problem mine is having...ugh! Good luck.
    08-22-2012 01:03 AM
    I can think of one option you can try, if you go into settings then developer options there is an option called stay awake which basically keeps the screen on while charging. It has happend before after some upgrades that even though this box isn't ticked the phone thinks it is , hence the screen stays on while charging. If you turn developer options on , toggle this box a couple of times and leave it unchecked. Then turn developer options off it might solve your problem

Probably goes without saying but don't go fiddling with any other options in there if you don't know what they do
    08-22-2012 09:34 AM
    Thanks for your response - I assumed that most of the functionality/menus would be the same across the different providers (except for the things that Verizon just HAD to mess with), but I don't even see a 'Stay awake' selection in Developer Options. In any case, the screen isn't staying on all the time - it only comes on when the phone gets fully charged, and it doesn't go off after the normal timeout. I will look on the wife's Rezound, though, to see if there's anything like that.

The problem appears to be some interaction between ICS and the dock - last night I just plugged my SGSIII directly in to the charger and the screen never came on.

08-22-2012 10:27 AM
    Did you check the "Desk Home Screen Display" in Dock or Accessory option?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    08-22-2012 12:42 PM
    I am also having dock issues with my Razr MAXX. When I plug in my car dock, the car dock screen shows up. That's the only function that doesn't malfunction.
    When I get texts, I'm never guaranteed to hear who sent them. When listening to Pandora or TuneIn Radio, a phone call will entirely shut that program down. I have to use the back button on the bottom of the phone to get back to where I was, and since it's not always illuminated, I often hit the HOME key, which before ICS took you to CAR HOME and now it takes you to the standard phone main screen.
    That's not all! During Pandora, or nav, or anything, if you back out of it, it may very well take you back to main screen, having shut off car dock entirely! You then have to unplug the dock and plug it back in to get car dock back online.
    Sometimes the dock program forgets that it's been disconnected, and I have to turn it off to get back to main screen.

I thought ICS was supposed to be BETTER. My experience hasn't been great at all.
    08-22-2012 01:00 PM
    It is better, but it could also be the APIs may have been changed slightly from gingerbread through to ICS which could allow for these odd behaviors.

In other words, your dock may be looking for the gingerbread OS and when finding ICS, certain calls to the phones hardware or software may be going to the wrong app or hardware.

I have seen things like this on PC OS upgrades as well, where hardware doesn't work with the new OS properly because there is no updated driver from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    DriverOneAF1 likes this.
    08-22-2012 01:25 PM
    That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
    08-22-2012 01:32 PM
    Did you check the "Desk Home Screen Display" in Dock or Accessory option?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    good suggestion but doesnt that keep display on as soon as the phone is docked and not just when its fully charged?
    08-22-2012 04:16 PM
    @aquafusiondane - I do have 'Desk home screen display' checked; if I uncheck that option then the dock screen isn't shown at all, which rather defeats the purpose of having a dock...

@Jevangil - I might agree with your assessment WRT my wife's Rezound, since it was running Gingerbread prior to the ICS update. But the Samsung Galaxy S III was released as an ICS phone, and I'm using a Samsung dock - I can only assume that this is some unadvertised 'feature' of ICS that they're not aware of. Thanks for your response though.

08-23-2012 12:23 AM
    I don't think it's an ics behavior...I don't use a dock but when my phone charge gets to a 100%, a steady green notification light comes on if my phone is in an idle state

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    08-23-2012 01:16 AM
    Yes, I've seen the LED behavior when the phone is fully charged, but you can turn that off in the Settings.I haven't come across anything that addresses the screen on behavior though.

08-25-2012 10:54 AM
    i use an app called bedside. it will probably keep the"holy grail" thing from happening and it has a clock that covers the screen when you touch it and then after a bit goes to a blank screensaver. should keep it from waking you. it works great for me. good luck.
    08-25-2012 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD