OK I have been told that the GS3 has a very good camera.

That may be the case but I am having a hell of a time getting the same sharpness and clarity of photos that I got very easily with my iP4. What the problem is is that the images are just NOT sharp. I got ONE photo that was sharp with it and that was using flash. I have also tried using the anti-shake feature. Nothing is giving me a sharp image. I don't have any special effects selected.

Troubleshooting I have tried: experimenting with the ISOs, turning on auto contrast, setting ISO to automatic adjust. Yes the lense IS clean and clear.

The images are not blurry they are just NOT sharp. Like perhaps the auto focus adjusted itself out of the sharpest focus state.

Is there any way to turn auto focus OFF?

Any help or perhaps any apps that might help would be greatly appreciated!
    08-23-2012 06:07 AM
    The auto-focus for the camera and the video camera are not particularly good. When I have tapped the part of the screen that I wanted in focus, then waited a second to let the focus lock (with a beep), I have gotten some really great shots.

One random issue I have found is that the contrast and color saturation on the screen of the S3 are much higher than on a computer screen: pictures that have seemed too dark on the S3 actually look fine on the computer. I have increased the exposure to make things come out lighter on the S3 screen but they turn out washed out on the computer screen.
    08-23-2012 07:06 AM
    The images are not blurry they are just NOT sharp. Like perhaps the auto focus adjusted itself out of the sharpest focus state.

Is there any way to turn auto focus OFF?

Any help or perhaps any apps that might help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have the same issue and have tried numerous different settings...not sure if it's something I am doing or what.
    08-23-2012 09:46 AM
    You may wish ot try different metering modes. Depending on your subject matter the different options will provide different results. Likewise, the resolution you shoot at will make a difference in the resulting photo quality.
    An 8 MP camera or even a 12 to 16 MP camera is not capable of providing photographic quality images without a bit of help. Using a photo editing app such as PicSay and/or Perfectly Clear on your Android device or Photoshop Essentials on your PC will really help bring out the image as you want it.
    How the image looks on different screens is a function of screen display components and the color palette the screen software is using. Even if you use, for example, the Photoshop color palette on all of your different devices, the physical parameters of the display will present images that look differently from one another.
    08-23-2012 11:04 AM
    I have the same issue and have tried numerous different settings...not sure if it's something I am doing or what.
    I Kno right!!!

You may wish ot try different metering modes. Depending on your subject matter the different options will provide different results. Likewise, the resolution you shoot at will make a difference in the resulting photo quality.
    An 8 MP camera or even a 12 to 16 MP camera is not capable of providing photographic quality images without a bit of help. Using a photo editing app such as PicSay and/or Perfectly Clear on your Android device or Photoshop Essentials on your PC will really help bring out the image as you want it.
    How the image looks on different screens is a function of screen display components and the color palette the screen software is using. Even if you use, for example, the Photoshop color palette on all of your different devices, the physical parameters of the display will present images that look differently from one another.
    What is this metering thing of which you speak?

Funny that you should say this, my iP4 took crisp and clear images without issue or aid. I am wondering if perhaps like one poster said immediately after my original post, is waiting the eternity until you hear the focus bleep and then taking the pic. If this is the case, the speed at which the device is touted is hardly impressive if it can't focus quick enough to capture the image accurately.
    08-23-2012 11:45 AM
    I Kno right!!!

What is this metering thing of which you speak?

Funny that you should say this, my iP4 took crisp and clear images without issue or aid. I am wondering if perhaps like one poster said immediately after my original post, is waiting the eternity until you hear the focus bleep and then taking the pic. If this is the case, the speed at which the device is touted is hardly impressive if it can't focus quick enough to capture the image accurately.
    Turn on camera>touch the settings icon (gear wheel) on lefthand side of screen in menu bar>scroll down to "Metering">touch Metering and then select metering method.

The camera focuses automatically by default. This is done within a second or so of you pointing the camera at a subject and holding the camera still. What the first poster was speaking of, I believe, is the additional focusing feature of touching the screen somewhere other than where the auto focus frame is and refocusing at that different point without moving the camera and changing the original composition.

I am definitely not an iPhone person but from having seen friends use them for photos I believe the iPhone actually does use software processing automatically to "assist" the camera before you get to see the image. But that is just my guess for observing others using the iPhone and I definitely could be out in left field. However, considering that all phones no matter the brand use pretty much the same 3rd party cameras I don't thing the phone brand determines the camera image quality.
    08-23-2012 02:55 PM
    i have a theory on this.

When using the iphone as a camera, its shape and size/thickness is comfortable enough because you are so used to it. It is a tad heavier too and the shape of it makes it more balanced in your hand.

the s3 however, is a lot bigger and a lot thinner and a tad lighter. making you prone to camera shake. It takes some getting used to.

I have a tip for this. when taking photos, the photo is really taken when the finger comes off from the shutter button. It is by design to lessen camera shake. With this in mind, place your finger on the shutter button frame the shot and when ready just release your finger.

The act of tapping the screen adds to the camera shake.

Hope that helps.

Note: I have read somewhere that the hardware fr the camera between the 4s and the s3 are the same, its just the software thats different
    funkylogik likes this.
    08-23-2012 03:17 PM
    The auto-focus will focus on what is in the center of the viewing field, and it takes a second or two for the beep and green rectangle to come on showing that the camera was able to successfully focus there. If you want to focus anywhere else, you have to tap there on the screen and wait for the green rectangle.

The camera does not auto-focus quickly: I think that is one of the true drawbacks of the S3 camera (I have never had an iPhone 4S so I do not know how that compares). I have been randomly moving the camera around and the pictures are consistently blurry unless I let the camera focus before pressing the shutter button.

I agree with the OP that this limitation means that the claims of the speed of the camera have to come with this caveat. However, once the camera is focused, you can take many quick shots in a row (or burst shot) and they will all come out clear. I took pictures on the S3 camera and my wife's point and shoot on a recent trip to Spain and the S3 pictures were as good or better.
    08-23-2012 04:20 PM
    Cool. Thanks all! I will just keep working on it
    08-23-2012 09:11 PM
    The GS3 definitely takes some time to play around with the camera, where the iP4 and 5 take better pictures out of the box. I have done side by side comparisons and the iPhone wins in 9 out of 10 shots. Providing you don't make any manual adjustments and just point and click. I also agree that it is probably a software and not a hardware issue.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-16-2012 08:36 AM
    id say the s3 takes some messing around with to get professional shots like the guy above says.
    most pics i take though are spur of the moment pics for facebook etc but if im tryin to get a half decent shot, i hold the shutter button then release to take the shot like another poster says.
    think of it like the sony phones two-step camera button, pressing the on screen button is same as pushin the physical button half-way down, releasing it is like pushing it all the way.
    i prefer it to physical button personaly

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-16-2012 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD