Wifi Speed Cap?

jpirog

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, just rooted with stock on it and when doing a speed test I'm getting some weird results.

From Speedtest on my GS3:

OgJzr.png

From Speedtest on my computer:

2136978826.png

I'd say it's a pretty significant difference. My computer is wired, I know that'll make some of a difference, but definitely not THAT much as shown in the images.

The most I've ever gotten from my phone is about 10mbit. Has anyone else seen similar issues?

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have seen the same type of results with this phone and my iPhones before this one. Numbers very similar to yours from the phone. My broadband on my home computer is wireless too and I just pulled numbers around 40 down and 6 up the other day. Very big difference indeed.

cmyers35474

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
63b01076-ec17-2013.jpg

this is from my galaxy s2 connected to my home wireless service from AT&T
u-verse. I'm rooted running ice cream sandwich

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jpirog

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Weird...I mean, I guess it doesn't matter THAT much..but it bothers me because I like to maximize the potential of my device if it can get more speed.

jpirog

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone with a T999 (T-Mobile S3) having this issue? I want to see if this fix helps anyone. Respond to this message if you are or not and I'll let you know what the fix was.

Found the solution, My S3 was in Powersave mode for WIFI, in order to disable this mode, enter into service mode (*#0011#), hit menu button, select wifi and disable the power save mode from the screen, your WIFI will restart and should run at full speed

If you do this, please do a speed test first then try the fix, then try a speed test again and post your results.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It is common for G speed to be around that number. My phone pull like 10-21 mbps. Even that are capable of going to 50 mbps . However their workable speed is up to 20mbps due to overhead. It common for computer to show different result because the ethernet wire is capable for going higher than that. Basically G speed is cap at about 23 mbps. My computer show 53 mbps. Woot Verizon FIOS. Basically it is working as intended

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke