Ok, recent iPhone convert here. So on the iPhone when you plugin headphones and press play on the inline controls it will start the iPod music player period, unless you have for example, Pandora already running. The better way to say this is that a freshly rebooted iPhone, open up the multitasking close all programs, plug in headphones and press play you will get the iPod app to play music.

On the S3, freshly rebooted, open multitasking, close all apps, plug in headphones and press play and you get the sounds of silence -- nothing, no music period. You have to go and start an app before the inline controls, or bluetooth controls will control anything.

My guess is that there are various different apps that could be controlled by the inline controls and the S3 doesn't know which one you want to control. So the question is can I set a default program to always accept the inline/BT commands even if it the app isn't running? I'd like not to have to install a 3rd party headphone program to do this but if that's the case then ok.

I'd like Google Play to be the default but am open to other suggestions. Conversely if the solution is to remove the Samsung music app and that won't screw me up doing so then I'll gladly do that.
    08-24-2012 10:50 AM
    Tasker can do this and will allow you to select which app to start. It can even start music automatically. But I'm pretty sure you can do this stock as well.
    08-24-2012 11:08 AM
    Tasker can do this and will allow you to select which app to start. It can even start music automatically. But I'm pretty sure you can do this stock as well.
    I'll look at Tasker, I've looked in the settings and was unable to find something that would do what I want, if you can point me in the direction I need to go that would be great.
    08-24-2012 02:42 PM
    What do you want it to play when you plug the head phone in? Try llama. I'm pretty sure you can set whatever app you want to play when you plug in head phones. Llama is like tasker except it's free and in my opinion better.
    08-24-2012 04:07 PM
    ... Llama ids like take except ...
    I'm pretty sure Tkbredx meant to say "Llama is like tasker except..."
    08-24-2012 04:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure Tkbredx meant to say "Llama is like tasker except..."
    Lol. Yeah thanks. Sometimes I forget Swype is not perfect and I forget to actually proof read my posts lol.
    08-24-2012 05:39 PM
    I installed the Tasker demo and was quickly able to launch Play Music when headphones are plugged in, now all I need to do is press play on the inline remote and I have tunes! I don't like that Takser is $6, this is one gripe about Android while I can customise damn near everything about the phone having to pay to do so sucks. I'll look at Llama and see if that will do what I want as well.

Thanks all!
    08-25-2012 09:24 AM
    I installed the Tasker demo and was quickly able to launch Play Music when headphones are plugged in, now all I need to do is press play on the inline remote and I have tunes! I don't like that Takser is $6, this is one gripe about Android while I can customise damn near everything about the phone having to pay to do so sucks. I'll look at Llama and see if that will do what I want as well.

Thanks all!
    So while you earn a living you begrudge a paltry $6 to the guy who developed the app? What did you spend on lunch yesterday?
    08-25-2012 02:44 PM
    So while you earn a living you begrudge a paltry $6 to the guy who developed the app? What did you spend on lunch yesterday?
    Bad argument, If all this guy is going to use tasker for is to launch play music upon inserting headphones that seems pretty expensive and all the power of tasker is complete overkill. If on the other hand he is going to use tasker to automate lots of things to make his life easier then $6 doesn't seem so bad.

Personally I was at home for lunch yesterday and my ham & cheese sandwich was probably about $1. I don't buy $4+ coffee either...
    08-27-2012 09:22 AM
    I don't begrudge the dev anything. If Tasker is the best solution to my problem I'll gladly pay the price, however Tasker looks like it's far more control than I want and need. If anything I begrudge Google and/or Apple, this feature and functionality is built right into iOS for free, though maybe I should direct my anger at Samsung and TouchWiz for being a bully with it's own apps, who knows.

Regardless I'm not going to simply give my money away without first making sure that I'm doing what's best for me.
    08-27-2012 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD