Title pretty much says it all. I love this phone and my ONLY complaint is that you cannot store apps on the sd card, this is a pretty huge design flaw...unless it was done intentionally to lure more customers into buying the 32gig version, however I didn't even know until after I bought my phone so if that was the case it was not marketed well at all. So my question is, again, is there anyone out there working on a way to get apps to sd on the Samsung galaxy s3? This is a huge deal to me and I'm not sure why I can't find ANYONE talking about this online.
    08-24-2012 06:22 PM
    as far as my limited knowledge goes... the way android (lynux?) work wont allow this. could be wprong though. its definately something google dont want to happen anyway
    eul0gy06 likes this.
    08-24-2012 06:27 PM
    It's not specific to the hardware of GS3- the HTC EVO LTE is the same. I understand this to be built into android, version ICS.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    08-24-2012 08:28 PM
    ICS can do it but most ICS devices dont use this new system that google are pushing where the the SD card is internal yet
    08-24-2012 08:33 PM
    ...cant u just move apps to external sd and then move them to internal when u wana use them? or just download them from playstore when u need them. or even use a back-up app to store them? surely theres a lot off appp u only use rarely that dont have to be constantly in internal? i suppose youd need root to save the app data though for game progress etc..
    08-24-2012 08:37 PM
    I had no intention of using a custom ROM on my S3. I planned to root it only to give myself maximum control over the device. But if anyone is doing a custom ROM based on whatever it was that came before ICS, but has a few features of ICS and JB, that person has one more customer.

I can hop up my car; I should be able to hop up.my phone.

Sfrrr

At http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=202205, you'll find a vaguely similar topic
    08-25-2012 01:33 PM
    It is just my opinion. I don't see how it is a big deal to get app on the ExtSdCard. I would prefer to leave the app in the internal while keeping pictures, video, and music on my ExtSdCard. And it work well. There is tons of space on my sd card and the internal too. I barely use up 1gb of my memory that is only from apps. I only download app that I would use a lot. Not like those mindless drone who kept downloading apps on their iphone that they haven't play the app for two years

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    08-25-2012 02:48 PM
    Looking at the design of the Nexus S 4G - LTE (the newer version), it doesn't have an external storage at all...and future designs - like the next in the Galaxy S series, probably won't have external storage either.
    They can put something useful in place of that cardslot, like a 4G radio or something...what's the big deal about having it if you have enough internal storage? It would literally take 2 year to fill up even a 16gb version..and h*ll for that matter, I JUST spent two years on an Optimus S that only had ONE-HUNDRED AND SIXTY MEGABYTES OF FREE SPACE FOR APP DOWNLOADS.
    160mb after clean install of OS. Stripped down CM7 left me with 205mb. THATS IT!
    I still used the phone for 2 years and I didn't skimp on apps either. I removed apps I no longer used though...and I even used the hack to make the SDcard appear as internal storage. I still never bought a new card, and kept my old 2gb that I used in my LG Lotus (phone I had before the Optimus S).
    So it's hard to say that if you don't have XX amount of space, the phone won't be worth having. The Optimus S was the biggest mistake I ever made in purchasing a phone...no storage, Sprint borked the update to GB when we finally DID get it...
    I have to say though, I ran through some ROMs on the Optimus and I learned my place in rooting and ROM'ing a phone with the Optimus S. I even had a spare that I sent to Drewwalton (here) so he could help with development...so the Optimus had a purpose, just not much of a brag-about phone. I enjoyed playing with ROMs but I am happy to have a 16gb phone that I can really be free with now.
    08-25-2012 04:41 PM
    Looking at the design of the Nexus S 4G - LTE (the newer version), it doesn't have an external storage at all...and future designs - like the next in the Galaxy S series, probably won't have external storage either.
    They can put something useful in place of that cardslot, like a 4G radio or something...what's the big deal about having it if you have enough internal storage? It would literally take 2 year to fill up even a 16gb version..
    I'm not so sure, rumor is that the next Nexus (suprisingly) may have a microSD card slot. As far as a 4g radio instead... I already have a microSD and 4g LTE on my VZW SGS3! No need to get rid of the microSD.
    08-25-2012 11:28 PM
    to me, i couldnt have a phone with lack of expansion unless it has atleast 32Gb. i wont wana have to carry around a media player as well as a huge smartphone. i fully understand future phones using internal memory for apps but whats the problem with having our media on an sd? and surely sd will get smaller in size so we cant blame the lack of a few mm space being wastdmd? also sd are interchangable
    08-26-2012 06:26 AM
    In my experience, the sd card is just another thing that can easily fail without warning and leave you wishing you had not saved photos to it, or other important stuff.

My wife's sdcard failed in her optimus S, and the sdcard was the only place you could store any amount of photos on that phone, because of the CRAPPY internal memory...thing is, it failed during the delivery of our daughter back in February. So there are a few pics of my daughter that nobody can ever see...because of the card failing. And it's not the first card I've had to fail.

If only she had a phone with more internal memory to store images on...or had a signal so she could've sync'd with G+ or something..but she didn't. Gone forever...so Sdcards can burn in hell..
    08-26-2012 10:48 AM
    yeah back them up regularly. phones can break or get lost/stolen. i feel your pain though mate
    08-26-2012 11:14 AM
    In my experience, the sd card is just another thing that can easily fail without warning and leave you wishing you had not saved photos to it, or other important stuff.

My wife's sdcard failed in her optimus S, and the sdcard was the only place you could store any amount of photos on that phone, because of the CRAPPY internal memory...thing is, it failed during the delivery of our daughter back in February. So there are a few pics of my daughter that nobody can ever see...because of the card failing. And it's not the first card I've had to fail.

If only she had a phone with more internal memory to store images on...or had a signal so she could've sync'd with G+ or something..but she didn't. Gone forever...so Sdcards can burn in hell..
    Look online, I had a memory card that went bad when my son was born and almost lost some pictures, but I found a way to restore them.

I got the photos of my son and the card is now working again.

Problem is, the card was actually a fake 16gb I got off eBay which turned out to be an 8 gb formatted as a 16

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    08-26-2012 11:29 AM
    Look online, I had a memory card that went bad when my son was born and almost lost some pictures, but I found a way to restore them.

I got the photos of my son and the card is now working again.

Problem is, the card was actually a fake 16gb I got off eBay which turned out to be an 8 gb formatted as a 16

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    nice one man!
    08-26-2012 11:33 AM
    Have you tried elixir 2 it has that option, don't know how well it works but it's there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-26-2012 04:34 PM
    It is just my opinion. I don't see how it is a big deal to get app on the ExtSdCard. I would prefer to leave the app in the internal while keeping pictures, video, and music on my ExtSdCard.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

It's pretty much just the people that skimped out a bit and bought the 16gb version that are worried or close to running out of space.

With a 32gb S3, pretty much no chance of running out of app space.

Just my outlook on it.

Apple's opening court statement...
    "It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3
    08-26-2012 08:32 PM
    doubt il ever run out of memory on my 16Gb, its over half full but ive never went through and uninstalled all the useless crap ive ever used. plus il root eventualy and get rid of the samsung bloat
    08-27-2012 12:42 AM
    doubt il ever run out of memory on my 16Gb, its over half full but ive never went through and uninstalled all the useless crap ive ever used. plus il root eventualy and get rid of the samsung bloat
    Only thing about uninstalling apps is you get a bunch of folders you aren't sure if you can delete or not. Empty folders at that, I've got a couple of folders that I don't know if I can delete or not. But no where near filling up my 16gb.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    08-29-2012 09:14 PM
    folders in file explorer mate?
    08-29-2012 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD