09-10-2012 12:03 AM
118 1234 ...
tools
    I would get it, because in case its banned you wouldn't be able to get it. Just being safe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    That's funny. The GS3 wasn't even part of the lawsuit, there is 0 chance it could get banned.
    08-27-2012 06:36 AM
    Au contrairre' mon ami: it is because of that "iStuff" you hate so much that you even have that 'Android stuff' in the first place.

Be respectful to that mother ship.
    woo i'd only seen US and UK english on this forum. now we have some Merde le francais
    08-27-2012 07:41 AM
    That's funny. The GS3 wasn't even part of the lawsuit, there is 0 chance it could get banned.
    +1 mahn but from now on i'll wana know EXACTLY whats included/EXCLUDED in every ota update from now on. dont wana have the same situation where they sneakily removed local/universal search from the US s3s
    08-27-2012 07:45 AM
    +1 mahn but from now on i'll wana know EXACTLY whats included/EXCLUDED in every ota update from now on. dont wana have the same situation where they sneakily removed local/universal search from the US s3s
    Why can't they have local/universal search? Are you telling me it's "patented" by Apple? Didn't Google have "google desktop search" years before the iPhone? Why can't Google claim they had a universal search for computers already, and all the mobile phones are in reality are mini computers. This doesn't make sense to me.
    08-27-2012 07:59 AM
    Somethings I've noticed and read about this whole deal. First Apple sued Samsung, specifically Samsung's industrial design as it pertains to some specific older devices as well as the TouchWiz UI elements that Apple feels that Samsung copied from Apple.

First the GS3 as well as the Note 10.1 were specifically excluded from the law suit -- this is important.

Second, the jury found that the GS2 amongst other phones violated trademarks so this is more about old phones that really don't concern us anymore.

Third, the infringing parts of the TouchWiz UI that apple doesn't like just means that at the worst Samsung will have to migrate to more of a vanilla Android experience -- isn't that what many people want anyway? I see this as a move to have more 'Nexus' like devices than anything.

Fourth, the judge specifically instructed the jury that damages could only compensate the parties to the effect of lost revenue due to infringement and specifically could not be punitive in nature. This is an issue as at least one juror has gone on the record as saying that the jury awarded as much as it did to "send a message" to Samsung that copying is bad, they can't do that. Also in the 700 some points that the jury managed to deliberate in record time they handed back damages with regards to the Note 10.1 having infringed, the Note 10.1 was specifically excluded from the lawsuit as having not infringed.

This case is going to go on a very long time, don't worry now, or realistically for years, about Android or Samsung having to make any changes. Until the case is settled the likelihood of anything substantial happening is slim. Get your SGS3 and enjoy it, I made the switch 3 weeks ago and wouldn't go back.

Look at the worst you'll have to room/ROM and go with CM10 or some other JB ROM because Samsung may have to pull something from TW but is that the end of the world?

Personally I hope this makes it all the way to the Supreme Court and that it manages to rip apart patent law as it exists today. The fact that you can be granted patents on such broadly defined ideas as 'rounded rectangles' is nuts!
    D.Sandman and Paradocks like this.
    08-27-2012 09:22 AM
    The design elements Apple won aren't included in the GS3, so have no fear that they will stop selling it. They specifically designed it so it's not a "rectangle" just to avoid these issues they had with the GS2. I'm amazed these patents held up in court or were granted in the first place as many of these so called innovations don't seem to meet the requirements for non-obviousness. Granted I haven't read the patents themselves, but I still think a lot of these patents were pushed through the USPTO without being fully scrutinized by the examiners.

The pinch to zoom and double tap has become such a standard for touch screens that it's hard to imagine every phone and tablet manufacturer using something else or paying a licensing fee. Apple should really start playing nice since now Google, with it's treasure trove of technical patents acquired from Motorola, is also getting involved. It's not helping Apple's image either, which I think is already seen as too closed off, controlling, and dictatorial by most people who value the open source free-market competitive nature of Android.
    08-27-2012 09:45 AM
    The US court is just dumb. End of story. I mean hell look at out nation....Not much to say there.

I'd still get an S3 over any Apple product as it currently stands. But that's just me. I don't own nor will I support a company that is will to stop technology growth for the consumers. But that's just me.
    08-27-2012 10:20 AM
    I knew the outcome of this case even before it started. All you gotta do is pick the company with the most money. It seems money trumps over truth and justice, and even plain common sense in US courts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    08-27-2012 10:34 AM
    Why can't they have local/universal search? Are you telling me it's "patented" by Apple? Didn't Google have "google desktop search" years before the iPhone? Why can't Google claim they had a universal search for computers already, and all the mobile phones are in reality are mini computers. This doesn't make sense to me.
    yup its banned on US devices mate. my old nokia n95 had it before the 1st iphone but i guess phone manufacturers werent greedy till apple
    08-27-2012 11:06 AM
    Somethings I've noticed and read about this whole deal. First Apple sued Samsung, specifically Samsung's industrial design as it pertains to some specific older devices as well as the TouchWiz UI elements that Apple feels that Samsung copied from Apple.

First the GS3 as well as the Note 10.1 were specifically excluded from the law suit -- this is important.

Second, the jury found that the GS2 amongst other phones violated trademarks so this is more about old phones that really don't concern us anymore.

Third, the infringing parts of the TouchWiz UI that apple doesn't like just means that at the worst Samsung will have to migrate to more of a vanilla Android experience -- isn't that what many people want anyway? I see this as a move to have more 'Nexus' like devices than anything.

Fourth, the judge specifically instructed the jury that damages could only compensate the parties to the effect of lost revenue due to infringement and specifically could not be punitive in nature. This is an issue as at least one juror has gone on the record as saying that the jury awarded as much as it did to "send a message" to Samsung that copying is bad, they can't do that. Also in the 700 some points that the jury managed to deliberate in record time they handed back damages with regards to the Note 10.1 having infringed, the Note 10.1 was specifically excluded from the lawsuit as having not infringed.

This case is going to go on a very long time, don't worry now, or realistically for years, about Android or Samsung having to make any changes. Until the case is settled the likelihood of anything substantial happening is slim. Get your SGS3 and enjoy it, I made the switch 3 weeks ago and wouldn't go back.

Look at the worst you'll have to room/ROM and go with CM10 or some other JB ROM because Samsung may have to pull something from TW but is that the end of the world?

Personally I hope this makes it all the way to the Supreme Court and that it manages to rip apart patent law as it exists today. The fact that you can be granted patents on such broadly defined ideas as 'rounded rectangles' is nuts!
    +1
    08-27-2012 11:16 AM
    I saw an article yesterday regarding the outcome of this case and the ammo samsung has towards an appeal. 1) the jury disregarded key points of the judge's instructions and even went as far as to say they didn't read or didn't have to read the judge's instructions. 2) they amount awarded to Apple. Jurors, specifically from what I recall has allegedly said that the total they came up was meant to be more than just a slap on the wrist. The instructions stated that the amount awarded could not be set as a punishment. 3) The jury foreman, who allegedly is a patent holder, used his influence using said patent holding to skip or disregard most of samsung's argument as to prior art, and it was stated that they ignored anything to do with prior art, because "it was bogging them down." 4) As I read earlier today, as part of the appeal to be filed by google and samsung, the validity of the patents Apple is sueing for is being investigated by the patent office. Again this is all from what I read from a few different sites, one of which is a law review site.
    08-27-2012 12:23 PM
    The GS3 wasn't included in this case because the judge wouldn't allow it to be added because every thing is filed. People are spectulating that there is going to be another round of lawsuits filed by Apple on the GS3, but that remains to be seen. On another note, there have been a lot of talk about how courts in other countries have said that Samsung has not infringed on Apple's patents, but a court and jury basically in Apple's backyard says it has.. hmmmm....
    08-27-2012 12:29 PM
    The GS3 wasn't included in this case because the judge wouldn't allow it to be added because every thing is filed. People are spectulating that there is going to be another round of lawsuits filed by Apple on the GS3, but that remains to be seen. On another note, there have been a lot of talk about how courts in other countries have said that Samsung has not infringed on Apple's patents, but a court and jury basically in Apple's backyard says it has.. hmmmm....
    Regardless, the phone currently isn't affected at all. By the time Apple files a NEW suit (if they do) against Samsung, the case will take months and months to get to trial at which point Samsung will have a new line of phones which aren't mentioned in the suit.

Samsung can also now make changes to their newer phones to ensure Apple won't have any leg to stand on in future lawsuits, so I highly doubt the Galaxy S4 or Note2 would be affected going forward.
    08-27-2012 12:36 PM
    Just get it. Samsung and android are here to stay. The phone is awesome and will smoke the ip4s and ip5 in every way.PERIOD
    DSK123 likes this.
    08-27-2012 01:03 PM
    Well, if your gonna be upgrading from the 3g your gonna be blown away by the S3! Great phone. Simple as that. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the future of Android. It's gonna be good.. At the end of the day it's your choice and it all boils down to which OS you prefer really. The iPhone is a top drawer product but I just couldn't live with that small screen and the lack of ability to customise. The choice is yours. Good luck..

alanandroid
    seerg likes this.
    08-27-2012 01:05 PM
    I saw an article yesterday regarding the outcome of this case and the ammo samsung has towards an appeal. 1) the jury disregarded key points of the judge's instructions and even went as far as to say they didn't read or didn't have to read the judge's instructions. 2) they amount awarded to Apple. Jurors, specifically from what I recall has allegedly said that the total they came up was meant to be more than just a slap on the wrist. The instructions stated that the amount awarded could not be set as a punishment. 3) The jury foreman, who allegedly is a patent holder, used his influence using said patent holding to skip or disregard most of samsung's argument as to prior art, and it was stated that they ignored anything to do with prior art, because "it was bogging them down." 4) As I read earlier today, as part of the appeal to be filed by google and samsung, the validity of the patents Apple is sueing for is being investigated by the patent office. Again this is all from what I read from a few different sites, one of which is a law review site.
    Would you mind sharing a few links on the articles you read regarding the questionable patents being investigated. It sounds like an interesting read
    08-27-2012 01:07 PM
    Would you mind sharing a few links on the articles you read regarding the questionable patents being investigated. It sounds like an interesting read
    +1 .... although theyl probabjly go right over my thick head lol
    08-27-2012 01:26 PM

Isn't Groklaw great??

To the person wanting read / looking for links:

Just google Groklaw and you'll find all you want, they are the ones who have stated the jury came to a decision rather quickly, especially when the lawyers took 3 days to read the 700 points in the judges documents..and the jury not only read those in 3 days, they made a decision in 3 days.

Didn't the CNET-interviewed juror also say that they decided on the first couple of days that Samsung was guilty?

My wife served on a jury a couple months ago (grand jury) and they SPECIFICALLY said "DO NOT MAKE A DECISION UNTIL BOTH SIDES ARE HEARD"
    If they decided on the first day...then uhhhhhhh.....DUH!!!

It's appeal time for Samsung, and I smell a really STINKING RAT in this verdict. I wish the judge would throw the verdict out, but she seems to be in the iSheep crowd as well...who knows there. She did ask the Apple lawyer if he was "smoking crack?"
    TheDonJ77 and seerg like this.
    08-27-2012 01:52 PM
    well im in front of a jury in High Court in Scotland next february lol. dont know what thn US equivalent is but it has the power to give the highest possible sentence in the land. jurys scare me now!
    08-27-2012 02:10 PM
    well im in front of a jury in High Court in Scotland next february lol. dont know what thn US exuivalent is but it has the power to give the highest possible sentence in the land. jurys scare me now!

Told my wife earlier today (we both own galaxy s3's now) that I hope this case goes all the way to the Supreme court, which is the highest for the US...when a supreme court justice has to decide, then we'll see what's really going on in the district court where this case was heard..supreme court is the final word.

The difference here is the court where this was heard isn't federal, it's state. Southern Cali district court.
    08-27-2012 02:13 PM
    Well, if your gonna be upgrading from the 3g your gonna be blown away by the S3! Great phone. Simple as that. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the future of Android. It's gonna be good.. At the end of the day it's your choice and it all boils down to which OS you prefer really. The iPhone is a top drawer product but I just couldn't live with that small screen and the lack of ability to customise. The choice is yours. Good luck..
    Good to hear and the type of feedback I needed.

If I may ask- I see you have SG3 and iPad3. So, no problem working in these 2 systems? I have iPad3 as well (and I think it is great), and don't see this as a problem between platforms as Dropbox etc. are neutral. I just need to double-up on some apps. Any other issues to consider?
    08-27-2012 02:23 PM
    Good to hear and the type of feedback I needed.

If I may ask- I see you have GS3 and iPad3. So, no problem working in these 2 systems? I have iPad3 as well (and I think it is great), and don't see this as a problem between platforms as Dropbox etc. are neutral. I just need to double-up on some apps. Any other issues to consider?
    I have the S3 and iPad 3 and I don't have any issues. I use my iPad 3 for reading a lot. I save articles to my Pocket app on the S3 and read them on the iPad just like I used to do when I had the iPhone 4. The S3 is a great phone and the iPad 3 is a great tablet I highly recommend both. The biggest adjustment I had to make was the S3 size. It is more difficult to use with one hand, but it is hardly a big issue and all of the things it can do that iPhone can't outweigh it by a long shot.

BTW, I personally think that this law suit will only drive further innovation from android as a whole.
    DSK123 likes this.
    08-27-2012 06:12 PM
    Simple, the big bad SAMSUNG gave the poor winy kid a "small" donation to their efforts...go apple, go big guy! Nay APPLE!!
    08-27-2012 08:18 PM
    08-28-2012 03:49 AM
    Judge May Ban Samsung Products In US Following Apple Victory

maybe you should buy it while u can mate
    Only if you want to buy an S2 (according to the article).

Anyway Samsung will just find a more reasonable judge to stay any ban during the appeal process. It is all just part of the legal game. Much of what has been said by the jurors just goes to show how much the Apple hype machine has clouded the general American public. From listening podcasts the Samsung lawyers just plain blew it in the closing arguments. Apple showed backed their points up visually while the Samsung lawyers did a dry text based presentation which likely put the jurors thoughts somewhere else.

I listen to Bloomberg podcasts and the "technology" financial analysts are just all gaga over Apple while Samsung has more market share, makes as much if not more money, and they are just the main player in the Android ecosystem not the total ecosystem. From the press you would think that 3 out of every 4 smart phones in America are the iPhone and of course the numbers do not back that up but hey this is America where perception is everything.

Mike
    08-28-2012 05:52 AM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD