Should Apple vs Samsung decision stop me from getting GS3?

DSK123

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been planning to get the Galaxy 3, moving from Apple iPhone3G. Everything I have seen and read about the SG3 has convinced me this is the right decision for me: bigger screen, more customizable, etc. Many have obviously made the same move from iPhone to G3.

For one reason or another, I have been slow to get the G3, and now I am wondering if I should hold off. Maybe wait until Sept unveiling of iPhone 5.

I know the G3 will not change, but will Android become less good in the future (I am buying into the whole new Android system)? Will the lawsuit loss lead to less upgrades for Android, less suitable phones in the future, etc?

I know nothing changes now. The G3 will be the same, running ICS and maybe JB in future. However, maybe innovation for Android will be diminished in the future, 2-3 years from now?

I am surprised no one has asked this question, but seems something many people must be considering.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You seem to be mixing two distinctly different issues here. Firstly, the Android OS is popular because it is efficient, effective, customizable, open source, and just plain works. The next full new version is already well down the road to release. Being owned by a company of great resources that fully believes in it means that it will continue and grow being far more likely than it dying out.

The Apple/Samsung case just finished is only the first step in what will become a long trip through the legal system. Both sides will surely file appeals and then appeal that result before it is finally settled. That will take several years. By that time the GS3 will be on display in the Smithsonian as will the iPhone.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is currently the hottest smartphone in the world and with reason. Next month who knows. There are at least 4 major producers of Android smartphones and many minor players. Any of whom can become major players as innovation brings new and better components, software, and production smartphones.

You seem to believe the GS3 is the phone for you. Then go get it and enjoy. When the next iPhone comes out you can review it and see where it stands. And change phones if it seem the right thing to do. After all the rumor is that the iPhone5 will be 4G and maybe even LTE oh, joy ;)

If you continue to equivocate you will not get the phone you want now, nor the next phone you want after that, and after that, etc., etc., etc.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I would still get it. Android isn't going anywhere. Anytime soon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

+1

Things may seem bad for us now but trust me Google isn't going to key android go down with out a fight. The galaxy s3.is a beautiful device and there will always be roms :)

nmoira

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Meh. Apple is no longer in the forefront, so to speak, and is fighting (mostly) over the near past. I would be shocked if the company is able to so completely reinvent the iPhone in terms of features and functionality that it seems "new" rather than merely another iteration. There may be some short term scuffles and awkward work-arounds, but Google is in this for the long haul. It will be interesting to see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot.

Sent from my GS3.

Reactions: Jude526

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you can't innovate, then litigate. You should not hesitate, the GS3 was aka a phone designed by lawyers.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't let the verdict of Friday change your direction. This is mainly a high dollar dance for the big business lawyers, fighting over patents and exchanging money back and forth. Both companies need each other at least they have up to this point as some key components of iPhone/iPads is indeed Samsung components! Yes thats right, so while they sue each other until they are blue in the face they still need each other to make their product survive and make a profit.

jstar8000

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I would get it, because in case its banned you wouldn't be able to get it. Just being safe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DSK123

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't let the verdict of Friday change your direction. This is mainly a high dollar dance for the big business lawyers, fighting over patents and exchanging money back and forth. Both companies need each other at least they have up to this point as some key components of iPhone/iPads is indeed Samsung components! Yes thats right, so while they sue each other until they are blue in the face they still need each other to make their product survive and make a profit.

I understand this is a lawyer issue and Samsung and Android will not be going anywhere. I also understand this verdict will be appealed and nothing about that known now.

However, the spin is this decision is a "loss for consumers" due to less ability to innovate on Android phones.

That said, I do still plan to get the G3- I just need to find the time to set it up, get new apps, etc as this will be a move for me from iOS.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I'm wondering, is Samsung going to be releasing a software update that severely impacts the phone as it currently stands?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
The lawsuit is'nt about android it's about samsung. Android is not going to change but samsung's phones will look different from here on. They will still be android. Im not worried about anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

DSK123

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I'm wondering, is Samsung going to be releasing a software update that severely impacts the phone as it currently stands?

Good question. The dispute involved software, not just hardware. For example, inertial scrolling and bouncing at end of scrolling. It is true Android does not have this, but maybe other software does?

For now, with appeals I don't think anything will change, but perhaps in the future.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of how this plays out, Apple won't be able to stop innovation of future Android ideas and designs. They maybe granted a win here and there but then the tide will shift the other direction and those same judges and lawyers who upheld Apple's wins will decide in favor of Android/Samsung, HTC, etc.. Its a back and forth game..

Eventually the court systems are going to get exhausted of these battles and it will die off until they come up with something new to sue over.

Maybe just maybe one of these days Apple will actually speak with a completely new product instead of repacking the same old story over and over again and living off design patents that they themselves have no more right to than Android or related OEMs do.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the outcome of the trial steers me towards buying more Samsung products.
I talded my friend into buying a Note 10.1 over the weekend. I will buy one soon.

I hate iStuff even more now!

Apple's opening court statement...
"It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

DSK123

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of how this plays out, Apple won't be able to stop innovation of future Android ideas and designs. They maybe granted a win here and there but then the tide will shift the other direction and those same judges and lawyers who upheld Apple's wins will decide in favor of Android/Samsung, HTC, etc.. Its a back and forth game..

Really? I know you are moderator here, but are you also a lawyer? If so, can you specify why this jury was so wrong and why Samsung will win on appeal?

My interpretation of the decision was this was a very balanced and reasonable verdict. Apple did not win everything they asked for, but by the end, Samsung knew they would lose. Of course they will appeal, but it is not a "back-and-forth" thing. I think it is likely Samsung will lose the appeal, though this will cost everyone more time and money. In the end, the consumers are the ones who pay these costs.

Most reports also highlight that this decision can inhibit innovation of Android. Some basic UI items (software) will need to be licensed- likely driving up costs or leading to less good UI.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
First, all of the devices involved in the suit are over a year old so the S3 is not even part of it. Second, in order to sue Samsung they would have to be attacking what Samsung had put in the product which from my perspective is TouchWiz mostly. If they attacked base Android then they would have had to have gotten Google involved and Apple really does not want to do that. Third, things are beginning to get interesting for Cupertino as Google just within the past two weeks filed for an injunction against the iPhone for infringing on some of its Motorola patents... That means they want the iPhone blocked from sale in the US. See the bottom of this link on the Forbes site.

And Now Google Sues Apple - Forbes

What goes around, comes around.

Mike

Reactions: DSK123

smrathburn

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
The lawsuit did convince me to make my decision and it was for the GS3. My family went to Android phones, none of the phones are covered by the lawsuit but I was much more interested in an operating system that gave me the choice of how I wanted it, not the company's decision of how I will get it. Also, bigger screens and better options of devices. Most of my family still prefers physical keyboards and Apple won't be offering those. Apple's behavior to litigate instead of innovate makes me wonder what they have left in their future.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple wants to patent the smart phone &/or the operating system. I read some of the items that a juror mentioned in the Wall Street Journal that were insane. Cannot find the article at the moment, but one mentioned the Samsung model was flat with rounded corners like the iphone. Another mentioned when a lawyer cut the lights in the courtroom & turned off both phones that the buttons were in similar places & accomplished similar things.

If anything, buy MORE from Samsung as am sure the lawyers who won this case are already banking on going after the rest of the industry.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It would be a shame to see the S3 lose it's multi touch features, but I'd assume since it's baked into the Android OS it's not Samsungs battle but rather Googles. Either way I'd say jump ship, and do it! Owning an S3 is like having a really awesome jailbroken iPhone!

Reactions: DSK123

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital