09-04-2012 06:32 PM
161 ... 567
tools
    Well considering they are guilty of willfully violating Apple's patents, I'd say you are correct they went a little over board. Just a small mistake though that will cost the company a little over a billion dollars (at this point). I wonder how many jobs will be cut at Samsung because of a couple of top executives "going overboard." I'm sorry, but they did not have to design a phone that looked almost identical to the iPhone. Motorola didn't seem to have that problem, HTC didn't either.

All irrelevant. That is not what was being challenged in court. All the excuse making in the world, doesn't excuse Samsung for what it did, nor does it reserve the judgment against them.
    I have to firmly disagree with you. While in our broken legal system the only relevant facts are who holds the patent, the only thing Samsung is guilty of is screwing up a defense. apple is just charging someone for something it does itself, and the only reason is hasn't gone after Motorola or HTC are because it no longer wants to **** off Google and HTC hasn't made an easy target for them, respectively. Look at the history. apple has had cases against nearly every single mobile device manufacturer. Samsung did not do anything wrong. They merely did what apple does all the time. They took a great idea that was made into a mediocre idea and made it a great idea again. Taking text and twisting it and abbreviating it and using parts that benefit you can make anyone look like they are doing something bad. I will use the car analogy again, seeing as a few years ago, the G35, the 350Z, and the TT were all the same car; if I had the choice between an apple iPhone and a Samsung iPhone, I would buy Samsung's only on the grounds that there would be better electronics in the Samsung and better software. Even if they were IDENTICAL, the Samsung phone would be better quality.

For those griping over the cost of labor overseas, their living expense and conditions are not going to change if they stop working 10 hours a day or if the manufacturing moves back to US. In fact, things would get worse for them and their families. Something humanitarians all overlook is that for someone to win, someone else has to lose. There are only so many pieces of the pie, and not everyone can have one. Most people who have negative opinions of US vs. overseas labor are hypocrites. As was mentioned before, many Americans want to pay a nickel for their shoes and get paid $100/hour for their own labor. That is a prime reason why manufacturing leaves and design stays.

If the law were made by people who have to follow it, instead of those who benefit from it being broken and create loopholes for themselves to slide through, while knowing all of the edges and gain skill skirting them, then this case would have never made it to court and apple wouldn't be nearly as big as it is now. That includes patent laws, which protect businesses and people with money, while screwing independent designers with patent suits or costing them so much in patent/legal fees that it is no longer worth the struggle.
    09-04-2012 12:50 PM
    . I will use the car analogy again, seeing as a few years ago, the G35, the 350Z, and the TT were all the same car; .
    Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Says who??

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    09-04-2012 12:58 PM

Not sure on the TT, but the G35 and 350Z both have the same engine, suspension, drivetrain and exhaust system. Basically the same car, with different bodies. G35 has 2 more seats and is designed more for luxury, 350Z is more sporty.
    09-04-2012 01:07 PM
    I have to firmly disagree with you. While in our broken legal system the only relevant facts are who holds the patent, the only thing Samsung is guilty of is screwing up a defense. apple is just charging someone for something it does itself, and the only reason is hasn't gone after Motorola or HTC are because it no longer wants to **** off Google and HTC hasn't made an easy target for them, respectively. Look at the history. apple has had cases against nearly every single mobile device manufacturer. Samsung did not do anything wrong. They merely did what apple does all the time. They took a great idea that was made into a mediocre idea and made it a great idea again. Taking text and twisting it and abbreviating it and using parts that benefit you can make anyone look like they are doing something bad.
    Apparently the system is broken because Apple won.

Unless you're talking specifically about trade-dress, I'm not sure why you continue to insist that Apple doesn't have ongoing litigation with Motorola and HTC. That is simply untrue.

IIRC, HTC was one if the first companies Apple went after.

09-04-2012 01:07 PM

Lol, says me and a few of my friends at the time after inspection and testing. Same frame, same motors excepting the TT's 1.8, same interior design, same handling, different emblems. Much more so the 350 and 35, but the TT was found reasonably close.

Pictures of them from the year (2002 generation) for broad comparison.

09-04-2012 01:14 PM
    Apparently the system is broken because Apple won.

Unless you're talking specifically about trade-dress, I'm not sure why you continue to insist that Apple doesn't have ongoing litigation with Motorola and HTC. That is simply untrue.

IIRC, HTC was one if the first companies Apple went after.

I don't "continue to insist," seeing as this is the first time I mentioned Motorola and HTC. I am aware there were past issues, and if you can cite the ongoing litigations that would be great. What I did insist before, however, is that apple goes after every device it can make a case against, which is pretty much every device, because there are only so many intuitive designs.
    09-04-2012 01:17 PM
    Lol, says me and a few of my friends at the time after inspection and testing. Same frame, same motors excepting the TT's 1.8, same interior design, same handling, different emblems. Much more so the 350 and 35, but the TT was found reasonably close.

Pictures of them from the year (2002 generation) for broad comparison.
    Click to view quoted image

lol.

Doesn't make the same. If anything, the 350Z and G35 are similar- and likely roll off of the same assembly line in Japan. The G35 uses a stretched version of the Nissan FM platform that underpins the 350Z.

The Audi TT however has nothing to do with Nissan or Infiniti.

09-04-2012 01:50 PM
    I don't "continue to insist," seeing as this is the first time I mentioned Motorola and HTC. I am aware there were past issues, and if you can cite the ongoing litigations that would be great. What I did insist before, however, is that apple goes after every device it can make a case against, which is pretty much every device, because there are only so many intuitive designs.
    Ongoing litigations-

Apple vs. Motorola in Florida. HTC is listed as a counterclaim defendant. Trial date in 2014.

Apple vs. HTC in Delaware. Court-moderated settlement talks scheduled for September 19th.

Apple vs. HTC in Munich.

Apple vs. HTC in Mannheim.

HTC vs. Apple in the UK.

Apple will go after every device it has a case for. My point is that trade-dress isn't involved in most of the cases and if I recall correctly, trade-dress claims have only been asserted in claims against Samsung.

09-04-2012 01:54 PM
    Ongoing litigations-

Apple vs. Motorola in Florida. HTC is listed as a counterclaim defendant. Trial date in 2014.

Apple vs. HTC in Delaware. Court-moderated settlement talks scheduled for September 19th.

Apple vs. HTC in Munich.

Apple vs. HTC in Mannheim.

HTC vs. Apple in the UK.

Apple will go after every device it has a case for. My point is that trade-dress isn't involved in most of the cases and if I recall correctly, trade-dress claims have only been asserted in claims against Samsung.

All of these are still in pretrial phases. It doesn't mean HTC nor Apple will benefit. For all we know the judge could throw the cases out all together! Anyone can sue, heck I could claim I invented the wheel and sue everyone who uses it now but that doesn't mean I would win.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    09-04-2012 03:28 PM
    All of these are still in pretrial phases. It doesn't mean HTC nor Apple will benefit. For all we know the judge could throw the cases out all together! Anyone can sue, heck I could claim I invented the wheel and sue everyone who uses it now but that doesn't mean I would win.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    These are ongoing, debunking the whole "Apple is only going after Samsung" myth.

09-04-2012 03:37 PM
    These are ongoing, debunking the whole "Apple is only going after Samsung" myth.

I must have missed that part. I said apple will go after anything they can, not just Samsung. Samsung just happens to be the flavor of the month for apple and they happened to get a good shot at them.

If someone said apple is only going after Samsung then yeah, it's not just Samsung - apple sues everyone.
    09-04-2012 06:32 PM
161 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD