Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

ice2008

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Buy whatever product you feel like, its freedom of choice.

Besides, its not like apple would manufacture its products in America, its manufacturing is mostly in China, Samsung by the way manufactures quite a lot of its stuff in China as well.
Or another example, my wrisrwatch from a Japanese manufacturer is actually made in Thailand.

Lets face it, they all out source and if they don't they just buy the parts from abroad and then assemble locally in some attempt to deceive consumers into believing they would be supporting the local economy.

Sent from my ST25i using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As if we all buy our products here. WTF! Everything is built over seas, even though some products are assembled here, the parts are built over seas. Did not anyone pay attention when we shipped all our manufacturing over seas 10-15 years ago. If you want 100% American, you can do it, but be prepared to do your research. I can link you with a site that is 100% American...but you wont fin ANY cell phones on it.

CDH

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
How much cash is apple sitting on? Over a hundred billion? Why not return it to shareholders or reinvest it? Maybe because most of it is offshore and remains there so they don't have to pay taxes on it. Sounds like a company concerned about America.

Reactions: bdmridgback

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
This article sums up what a travesty this lawsuit is.

Groklaw - Jury in Apple v. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With this Picture? ~pj Updated 4Xs

These jurors are savants. One hundred and nine pages of jury instructions and 700 questions in 3 days.

Still reading this but wow, interesting stuff here. And with all the jurors are saying that contradicts the instructions (which they didn't read) I think Sammy might have something to use.

Rev.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
How much cash is apple sitting on? Over a hundred billion? Why not return it to shareholders or reinvest it? Maybe because most of it is offshore and remains there so they don't have to pay taxes on it. Sounds like a company concerned about America.

Let's not forget that Steve Jobs was one of the only billionaires that was not a philanthropist.

He closed the Steve P. Jobs foundation 1 year after opening it, and only after his death, did Tim Cook open Apple back up to offering donations.

He was a greedy person who ran a greedy/shady company based on do as I say, not as I do morals and took prior art, merged it into functionality and claimed no one else could do the same.

Apple created ideas based on inspiration from other companies. Why is it OK they do it and not Samsung?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yikes, have not looked at this since posting yesterday. All good points! I guess I had a brief lapse in judgment. We all have our moments, better lay off the beer.

Reactions: Johnly

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't really feel bad for Samsung, but I do think they got the short end of the stick. From an outsider looking in, it appears that the outcome was predetermined.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's not forget that Steve Jobs was one of the only billionaires that was not a philanthropist.

He closed the Steve P. Jobs foundation 1 year after opening it, and only after his death, did Tim Cook open Apple back up to offering donations.

He was a greedy person who ran a greedy/shady company based on do as I say, not as I do morals and took prior art, merged it into functionality and claimed no one else could do the same.

I always found it hilarious that people basically worship Steve Jobs while mocking Bill Gates.

Apple created ideas based on inspiration from other companies. Why is it OK they do it and not Samsung?

I see a difference between being inspired and blatant copying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
It is patently absurd to think that the Apple would absorb a $28 billion profit hit just to manufacture their products in the US. US wages whether unionized or not would be several times higher and you would expect Apple to absorb this impact to their profit? They also do not control their part sourcing which drives costs even more. Samsung controls part sourcing which gives them an advantage.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device

Part of the problem here is the shift in priorities of companies starting at the end of Reagan/Bush era. While every company is entitled to make a profit their priorities used to be ordered as follows.
1) Customer - build a reasonably priced quality product
2) Employee - pay a fair wage and good benefits
3) Country - pay taxes, hire Americans workers to keep the economy strong
4) stockholder - be profitable to the point you can pay out dividends and reward investors with increased value.

Sadly it now reads as :
1) Profit
2) Stockholder
3) Profit some more
4) Stockholder
5) F everything else

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Part of the problem here is the shift in priorities of companies starting at the end of Reagan/Bush era. While every company is entitled to make a profit their priorities used to be ordered as follows.
1) Customer - build a reasonably priced quality product
2) Employee - pay a fair wage and good benefits
3) Country - pay taxes, hire Americans workers to keep the economy strong
4) stockholder - be profitable to the point you can pay out dividends and reward investors with increased value.

Sadly it now reads as :
1) Profit
2) Stockholder
3) Profit some more
4) Stockholder
5) F everything else

With all due respect, the priority has always (more or less) legally been shareholder profits. It has been since the 1919 case Dodge v. Ford Motor Company. However, what shareholders have demanded and what the consumer has demanded has radically shifted, in addition to a variety of other economic pressures (governments, political climates, international economics, etc.) so we see it a bit differently now because corporations have, for better or for worse, adapted. No offense meant, just clarifying :).

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
No. apple is a terrible company and Samsung is not. Regardless of where they originated from, Samsung is a better company and deserves the support. I could go on for a long time with details of why apple is that bad.

Neglecting the fact that apple doesn't really make that great of devices or software, they depend on the lawsuits to make profits, which is why they have a huge legal department and sue everyone they can get their hands on.

See the attachment, source: Google Images.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No. apple is a terrible company and Samsung is not. Regardless of where they originated from, Samsung is a better company and deserves the support. I could go on for a long time with details of why apple is that bad.

Because there have been no reports of Samsung using places that use child labor to make their stuff..

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I always found it hilarious that people basically worship Steve Jobs while mocking Bill Gates.

I see a difference between being inspired and blatant copying.

Blatant copying would the KIRF products by goophone or gooapple or any of the other exact replicas. Drawing influence from a competitor is normal and expected in the business world. Now on the first version of the Galaxy S Samsung may have gone a bit overboard on the icon backgrounds that "copied" Apples icons a bit too closely, but those were thankfully gone with the release of the S2. I would even accept Samsung having to pay for the combination of the use of the grid+icon look of touchwhiz that was used on the S1's, but the fact that both the S1 and S2's used 4 capacitive buttons and had a different styled back and edges throws out the idea of a blatant copy.
All TV's/Cars/Motorcylces/shoes/monitors/traincars/rollerskates/jeans/keyboards/telephones/etc all share very similar designs based on the direction that products became popular and recognizable in their respective industries. They differentiate themselves with logo's and minor design variances and differences in internals vs price point to stay competitive. the mobile space should be no different. When Nokia ruled the mobile space all phones were bricks, then flip phones were all the rage and the Razr brought on thin flip phones. Then Samsung (or some other company) started the bigger screen (for the time) with slideout keyboard and eventually RIM's success caused all mfg's to start making full keyboards on phones. Design follows the trends that are popular making minor changes to how they look. this is no different then what is happening now. Apple should be applauded by taking advantage of the technology that was becoming cost effective to use (ie capacitive touch screens) and making a device that people liked using. They should not be awarded design patents or otherwise on the look and features that evolved from the devices they strived to replace.

Grid based icon layouts have been around in mobile since the palm pilot days if not earlier, double tap to zoom is an obvious evolution on a touchscreen base don what you would do with a mouse on images/maps in desktop operating systems. Movies/TV shows go back decades showing the concepts of using to points to expand or collapse an image or screen. Slide to unlock is the digital representation of the chain locks on doors that have been around for ages. these are not new ideas. If Apple were patenting their exact implementation on how they do these things then that would be fine, but they are patenting the idea and not the execution and trying to force any other company evolving into the current competitive landscape to not be able to compete with the simplistic ideas.

It is for that reason I have no qualms about supporting Samsung or any other company that challenges Apple. Apple want to abuse a broken system and lock out competition which is not what America is supposed to be about. No matter how nice the aesthetics of their products may be I will never buy or recommend an Apple product to anyone I know until they change their practices, which is not likely to ever happen.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Blatant copying would the KIRF products by goophone or gooapple or any of the other exact replicas. Drawing influence from a competitor is normal and expected in the business world. Now on the first version of the Galaxy S Samsung may have gone a bit overboard on the icon backgrounds that "copied" Apples icons a bit too closely, but those were thankfully gone with the release of the S2. I would even accept Samsung having to pay for the combination of the use of the grid+icon look of touchwhiz that was used on the S1's, but the fact that both the S1 and S2's used 4 capacitive buttons and had a different styled back and edges throws out the idea of a blatant copy.
All TV's/Cars/Motorcylces/shoes/monitors/traincars/rollerskates/jeans/keyboards/telephones/etc all share very similar designs based on the direction that products became popular and recognizable in their respective industries. They differentiate themselves with logo's and minor design variances and differences in internals vs price point to stay competitive. the mobile space should be no different. When Nokia ruled the mobile space all phones were bricks, then flip phones were all the rage and the Razr brought on thin flip phones. Then Samsung (or some other company) started the bigger screen (for the time) with slideout keyboard and eventually RIM's success caused all mfg's to start making full keyboards on phones. Design follows the trends that are popular making minor changes to how they look. this is no different then what is happening now. Apple should be applauded by taking advantage of the technology that was becoming cost effective to use (ie capacitive touch screens) and making a device that people liked using. They should not be awarded design patents or otherwise on the look and features that evolved from the devices they strived to replace.

Grid based icon layouts have been around in mobile since the palm pilot days if not earlier, double tap to zoom is an obvious evolution on a touchscreen base don what you would do with a mouse on images/maps in desktop operating systems. Movies/TV shows go back decades showing the concepts of using to points to expand or collapse an image or screen. Slide to unlock is the digital representation of the chain locks on doors that have been around for ages. these are not new ideas. If Apple were patenting their exact implementation on how they do these things then that would be fine, but they are patenting the idea and not the execution and trying to force any other company evolving into the current competitive landscape to not be able to compete with the simplistic ideas.

It is for that reason I have no qualms about supporting Samsung or any other company that challenges Apple. Apple want to abuse a broken system and lock out competition which is not what America is supposed to be about. No matter how nice the aesthetics of their products may be I will never buy or recommend an Apple product to anyone I know until they change their practices, which is not likely to ever happen.

nice
nice

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Because there have been no reports of Samsung using places that use child labor to make their stuff..

What makes you think apple doesn't? I am not aware of any documented cases of Samsung doing this, however I would not say it is not possible seeing as that is prevalent in that area of the world. However, those children are going to have to work twice as hard now on double shifts thanks to apples recent endeavors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power