Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Blatant copying would the KIRF products by goophone or gooapple or any of the other exact replicas. Drawing influence from a competitor is normal and expected in the business world. Now on the first version of the Galaxy S Samsung may have gone a bit overboard on the icon backgrounds that "copied" Apples icons a bit too closely, but those were thankfully gone with the release of the S2. I would even accept Samsung having to pay for the combination of the use of the grid+icon look of touchwhiz that was used on the S1's, but the fact that both the S1 and S2's used 4 capacitive buttons and had a different styled back and edges throws out the idea of a blatant copy.
All TV's/Cars/Motorcylces/shoes/monitors/traincars/rollerskates/jeans/keyboards/telephones/etc all share very similar designs based on the direction that products became popular and recognizable in their respective industries. They differentiate themselves with logo's and minor design variances and differences in internals vs price point to stay competitive. the mobile space should be no different. When Nokia ruled the mobile space all phones were bricks, then flip phones were all the rage and the Razr brought on thin flip phones. Then Samsung (or some other company) started the bigger screen (for the time) with slideout keyboard and eventually RIM's success caused all mfg's to start making full keyboards on phones. Design follows the trends that are popular making minor changes to how they look. this is no different then what is happening now. Apple should be applauded by taking advantage of the technology that was becoming cost effective to use (ie capacitive touch screens) and making a device that people liked using. They should not be awarded design patents or otherwise on the look and features that evolved from the devices they strived to replace.

Grid based icon layouts have been around in mobile since the palm pilot days if not earlier, double tap to zoom is an obvious evolution on a touchscreen base don what you would do with a mouse on images/maps in desktop operating systems. Movies/TV shows go back decades showing the concepts of using to points to expand or collapse an image or screen. Slide to unlock is the digital representation of the chain locks on doors that have been around for ages. these are not new ideas. If Apple were patenting their exact implementation on how they do these things then that would be fine, but they are patenting the idea and not the execution and trying to force any other company evolving into the current competitive landscape to not be able to compete with the simplistic ideas.

It is for that reason I have no qualms about supporting Samsung or any other company that challenges Apple. Apple want to abuse a broken system and lock out competition which is not what America is supposed to be about. No matter how nice the aesthetics of their products may be I will never buy or recommend an Apple product to anyone I know until they change their practices, which is not likely to ever happen.

Yet there was also evidence in Samsung's own interntal documents where they directly compare their phones to the iPhone and how to copy things from the iPhone and implement them on their devices. Damning evidence.

Even if Samsung submitted their prior art/Apple design exercise evidence in time, allowing it to be used in that trial, it shows no evidence that Apple copied a commercially available device.

With regards to trade-dress, I am in total agreement about the early KIRFing going on with Samsung's early enteries in the Galaxy series. It really isn't that hard for a logical person to see- you've seen it yourself. I would be SHOCKED if Apple went after phones like the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Nexus on the grounds of trade-dress. I doubt they will. The G1, the original DROID- none of them looked remotely close to the iPhone. Samsung just took it too far. And if the same team that designed the Galaxy S III worked on the original Galaxy, it shows they didn't have to go the KIRF route.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What makes you think apple doesn't? I am not aware of any documented cases of Samsung doing this, however I would not say it is not possible seeing as that is prevalent in that area of the world. However, those children are going to have to work twice as hard now on double shifts thanks to apples recent endeavors.

I'm not saying Apple doesn't. I'm just saying Samsung is no angel either.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I always found it hilarious that people basically worship Steve Jobs while mocking Bill Gates.

I see a difference between being inspired and blatant copying.

I'll leave you with this.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU[/YT]

PS. This isn't Geesung Choi / Y.K. Kim saying this.(Samsung's CEO / Samsung USA's CEO)

Reactions: Johnly

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Yet there was also evidence in Samsung's own interntal documents where they directly compare their phones to the iPhone and how to copy things from the iPhone and implement them on their devices. Damning evidence.

Even if Samsung submitted their prior art/Apple design exercise evidence in time, allowing it to be used in that trial, it shows no evidence that Apple copied a commercially available device.

With regards to trade-dress, I am in total agreement about the early KIRFing going on with Samsung's early enteries in the Galaxy series. It really isn't that hard for a logical person to see- you've seen it yourself. I would be SHOCKED if Apple went after phones like the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus on the grounds of trade-dress. I doubt they will. The G1, the original DROID- none of them looked remotely close to the iPhone. Samsung just took it too far. And if the same team that designed the Galaxy S3 worked on the original Galaxy, it shows they didn't have to go the KIRF route.

Just FYI, this happens in EVERY company, in EVERY industry.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect, the priority has always (more or less) legally been shareholder profits. It has been since the 1919 case Dodge v. Ford Motor Company. However, what shareholders have demanded and what the consumer has demanded has radically shifted, in addition to a variety of other economic pressures (governments, political climates, international economics, etc.) so we see it a bit differently now because corporations have, for better or for worse, adapted. No offense meant, just clarifying :).

And those "shareholder" demands are really the Wall St. hedge funds and analysts who demand the quarter by quarter performance. Joe Sixpack with a few shares in his 401 would probably prefer a few percentage points a year for the next 20. Goldman Sachs and Bloomberg pundits are the guys who trash a CEO for "only" increasing revenue a little bit over a year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
And those "shareholder" demands are really the Wall St. hedge funds and analysts who demand the quarter by quarter performance. Joe Sixpack with a few shares in his 401 would probably prefer a few percentage points a year for the next 20. Goldman Sachs and Bloomberg pundits are the guys who trash a CEO for "only" increasing revenue a little bit over a year.

/offtopic

It's Always Sunny in Philly is the best TV show ever made. I've seen every episode like 100 times.

Where's Hue Honey!?

/ok back on topic.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

No doubt, I get your point, but to state that shareholder profits is a new thing completely disregards corporate law as it's stood for almost a century at this point. Bottom line is, if the directors don't gear their business to maximizing shareholder wealth, they breach their fiduciary duty of care and therefore are liable and at risk of a shareholder suit.

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, this happens in EVERY company, in EVERY industry.

I completely understand that companies research each other all the time. I've had to produce documents on competing products before (mobile/social games related) but I wasn't at Zynga so we weren't making blatant copies of the works of other companies.

I feel EA vs. Zynga (or the guys who made Tiny Tower vs. Zynga, or Buffalo Studios, who made Bingo Blitz, vs. Zynga) is very similar to Apple vs. Samsung in this case.

IMO, there was enough evidence to paint Samsung copying Apple vs. Samsung being inspired by Apple to earn Apple the win in this particular case.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand that companies research each other all the time. I've had to produce documents on competing products before (mobile/social games related) but I wasn't at Zynga so we weren't making blatant copies of the works of other companies.

I feel EA vs. Zynga (or the guys who made Tiny Tower vs. Zynga, or Buffalo Studios, who made Bingo Blitz, vs. Zynga) is very similar to Apple vs. Samsung in this case.

IMO, there was enough evidence to paint Samsung copying Apple vs. Samsung being inspired by Apple to earn Apple the win in this particular case.

I agree, to a certain extent. All you need to do is look at the Fascinate and shake your head.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone ever feel conflicted supporting a foreign company (Samsung) vs. a home grown American Company (Apple). While I am a strong supporter of Android and always will be sometimes I feel Un - American not supporting an American Company. I think we can all agree that Samsung probably did copy to some degree. Nonetheless, I more than anyone do not like Apple and their culture/products. I guess my patriotism is tugging at me! ;)

BTW, I come from a 2 platform household. I am Android, my wife and 2 daughters are Iphone. I have tried to convince/sway them over to Android but they are not having any of that. In a way I am glad as the first sign of trouble I would be blamed for them going with Android.

Homegrown? Maybe u should read what it says on the backs of iPhones and apple products, designed in California made in China hahahaha. Homegrown that's a good one

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone ever feel conflicted supporting a foreign company (Samsung) vs. a home grown American Company (Apple). While I am a strong supporter of Android and always will be sometimes I feel Un - American not supporting an American Company. I think we can all agree that Samsung probably did copy to some degree. Nonetheless, I more than anyone do not like Apple and their culture/products. I guess my patriotism is tugging at me! ;)

BTW, I come from a 2 platform household. I am Android, my wife and 2 daughters are Iphone. I have tried to convince/sway them over to Android but they are not having any of that. In a way I am glad as the first sign of trouble I would be blamed for them going with Android.

It is hilarious you say this because I was just talking about this with someone else about cars. Why do people have so much anger for non american cars, but not apply that to anything else?

Why did Olympians wear Chinese clothing?

Why do 99% of our products come from China and we complain about things being American? I think for every 2 trill we get from taxes, we owe China 5, I'm not sure.

But all car talk aside, no.

You know why the answer is no? Because the money Apple gets.....or GM for that matter, doesn't get reinvested back into the community, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Apple doesn't donate money at all anymore, how greedy and American is that right?

Not to mention, both Android and Apple, or Mac and Microsoft devices are made in the same crappy place in Thailand or China....with the same parts, heck, Apple uses Samsung for some parts for the ipad.

And if the ipad were American, it would cost 1400.

Just like how American cars, aren't made in America, just assembled here.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I will NVR buy an apple product. If someone gives me an iPhone. If I don't burst in flames first touching it. Lol. I will smash it with a hammer.

Samsung all the wY

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I will never understand statements like this.

Me neither. I don't care for some of Apple's business practices, but you can't deny the excellent quality and usability of their products. I'm a long-time Mac user and my wife and I have three iPods between us...but I prefer Android phones/tablets. It's just a matter of preference and one product that better fits my needs than another. There's nothing wrong with iPhones. They're great little devices. Just not for me.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Me neither. I don't care for some of Apple's business practices, but you can't deny the excellent quality and usability of their products. I'm a long-time Mac user and my wife and I have three iPods between us...but I prefer Android phones/tablets. It's just a matter of preference and one product that better fits my needs than another. There's nothing wrong with iPhones. They're great little devices. Just not for me.

Excellent quality? Not sure about that one. The speaker in the earpiece of my 4s dwindled in its first year. Never had a problem with an android set. My home button in my 4s was crooked to a small degree as well. The phone crashes, it isn't perfect. I actually think my sgs3 is of much higher quality as far as components are concerned.

There is a lot wrong with iPhones, but that is just my experience, I am not speaking for anyone else.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Excellent quality? Not sure about that one. The speaker in the earpiece of my 4s dwindled in its first year. Never had a problem with an android set. My home button in my 4s was crooked to a small degree as well. The phone crashes, it isn't perfect. I actually think my sgs3 is of much higher quality as far as components are concerned.

There is a lot wrong with iPhones, but that is just my experience, I am not speaking for anyone else.

That reminds me, I need to take my MacbookPro in. The lid is.... Askew.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Apple is NOT a homegrown American company. They manufacture nothing in the USA, that is why all their products have that cheesy tramp stamp on it that says "Designed in California"

I don't have a problem buying a foreign froduct from a foreign company...and I am a pure breed American Chevy and V-Twin chopper guy...and I DO NOT shop at Wal-Mart, ever!!!!

I will not buy products from a company that has all their stuff made over seas and claims to be a true American company. If Samsung was based in the US and was making everything over seas and claimed to be an American company, I wouldn't buy from them either.

That is the main reason I do not buy from Apple. Unchangeable batteries, locked eco system, tiny screens, blah blah blah just adds to it. Apple can suck it!

I will go buy more Samsung goods until a TRUE American made smartphone come available! Like that will ever happen!

Apple's opening court statement...
"It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

Apple is a home grown company. Starting in a parents garage in the Bay Area of California isn't homegrown to you?

Sent using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Apple is a home grown company. Starting in a parents garage in the Bay Area of California isn't homegrown to you?

Sent using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Where ever its from doesn't take away the fact that they are still made and assembled in China. The patents system is a joke, everyone in the end stole something from someone. from my EVO using Android Central Forums