Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
There's a subtle difference between "claim as own" and simply owning a patent on something.

Can you please point me to the evidence where in the trial Samsung accuses Apple of stealing a technology or patented idea for use in smart phones or tablet devices that Samsung claims to have shown Apple previously?

Why did you hate those Apple devices? Was it simply because they were Apple devices? You give no reason to hate them.

Are you implying that Steve Jobs stole the idea to start a company out of a garage? lol.

Sounds like you let hate for a corporation cloud any rational thought.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

As for one point of evidence for that claim, look up the Diamond Touch issue. I consider any patent involving the "shape" of a device totally meaningless and find it stupid that the category of "rectangular device with rounded corners and a single button" should be limited to just an iphone. As I said in the post, I hate them from having to work on them and deal with them, and my experience with the devices and apple support are my reasons for hating them. Steve Jobs (or someone under him) stole many ideas, and someone posted a video earlier alluding to that fact. Hell, he probably did steal the garage business idea, because that was Bill Gates. I also understand the difference, and apple goes beyond just "owning the patent" and the lawsuit itself is enough of the claiming its own for wanting "damages" that were nonexistent.

I do not let my hatred for apple cloud anything. My thoughts on them are rational, and my rational decision is to hate them.

Also that claim is not really incorrect as far as I know (to other post). Can you list some things that apple developed on its own? I would be interested to learn.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Why Intel over Qualcomm? :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Oh, if only AMD made phone chips :) then I would go for that. I like the FX and A/E series, i think the E series would do very well in a phone or tablet platform.

fr8cture

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel bad, 90% of electronics are made outside the US, not much you can do and th I never thought about where my device came from.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh, if only AMD made phone chips :) then I would go for that. I like the FX and A/E series, i think the E series would do very well in a phone or tablet platform.

I've never really liked AMD, they always seem like the shady cheap knock-off. Plus, I like my processor to emergency shut off before it starts frying and burning :) lol (I think that was some tech rummer started by Intel to get rid of the competition but its scary enough to make me not want to buy an AMD! lol But I find Intel to have better chip architecture which results in better performance and a more responsive experience while AMD runs high clock speeds but they don't offer the same level of architecture.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I've never really liked AMD, they always seem like the shady cheap knock-off. Plus, I like my processor to emergency shut off before it starts frying and burning :) lol (I think that was some tech rummer started by Intel to get rid of the competition but its scary enough to make me not want to buy an AMD! lol But I find Intel to have better chip architecture which results in better performance and a more responsive experience while AMD runs high clock speeds but they don't offer the same level of architecture.

Heh, I never heard that one. I love all my AMD systems. I have several based on the following processors - Phenom II X6 1100T, FX-8150, A-3870K, E350, E450, and Athlon II X4. I have never had a problem with any of them and while Intel may boast slightly faster memory interfacing and such, IMHO AMD blows them out of the water in integrated GPU solutions and definitely in heat management -> the only reason Intel brags about emergency shutdown is they need it! haha just kidding but my AMD systems have run cooler than my Intel (last of which were Pentium D, E, Xeon, and Core 2 series, and the extremely hot atom). AMD's new archy in the FX series is really cool as well and everything from AMD is cheaper. I would love to try out an i7 extreme, but don't want to spend over $1k just for a cpu when I can get a maxxed unlocked AMD for $200, you know?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I never said she couldn't own idevices, but rather it shows some kind of bias against any other company. I do not purchase products based on what is wildly popular with the hipsters today, but rather what works best for me. I have owned idevices up until last year, so i can say i have had them and used them on a daily basis. Did they work for me then? yes. Do they work for me now? no.

Apple has found ways to draw people into their ecosystem and make it simple for the users. Many come back to them year after year because they are simple. Apple even tells its potential customers this: it is just so minimalist and easy and simple, just press this one button, or slide this one slider and all of your troubles go away, now here drink this and repeat after me as you fall asleep and merge with the universe............

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I feel the same way!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I never said she couldn't own idevices, but rather it shows some kind of bias against any other company. I do not purchase products based on what is wildly popular with the hipsters today, but rather what works best for me. I have owned idevices up until last year, so i can say i have had them and used them on a daily basis. Did they work for me then? yes. Do they work for me now? no.

Apple has found ways to draw people into their ecosystem and make it simple for the users. Many come back to them year after year because they are simple. Apple even tells its potential customers this: it is just so minimalist and easy and simple, just press this one button, or slide this one slider and all of your troubles go away, now here drink this and repeat after me as you fall asleep and merge with the universe............

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Not sure why people have to assume that simple smartphones are somehow for idiots. You really shouldn't need to be some tech expert to use and own asm artphone.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not as what apple is doing imo is completely UN-AMERICAN!! This country is about choice but apple is trying to destroy choice and be a monopolizing dictatorship. I will never buy apple not because of their products but because of their business practices!

Amen to that!

sent from my Rezound

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people have to assume that simple smartphones are somehow for idiots. You really shouldn't need to be some tech expert to use and own and smartphone.

Are these conflicting statements or mutually exclusive?

EDIT: apple devices can be used by the latter. And yes I support the above post.

Last edited:

Scooter_In_MN

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Exactly all the major us companies, alot ofCanadian and European, have their manufacturing info structure in greater Asia to fully exploit cheap slave labour so they can get the most profit margin. Also most hold their accounts in offshore banks so they dont have to pay taxes back into their hq counters to better them and giving back to their nations social net. So what's so American, Canadian, or European about them. NOTHING.! Till they start bringing back home manufacturing and their bank accounts. Your supporting an entity and not national pride, economy or product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

?? Have you ever been to a Chinese or Korean factory? There IS NO slave labor in the electronics manufacturing industry. These products are made over there for 2 reasons. NO labor unions which mean they will work a full day. The other reason is that these people have a work ethic! They are all proud of the company they work for and the products they make. Can you think of a single company in the US that can say that today? It's common sense that puts manufacturing over seas. Better products for less money. Period!

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
?? Have you ever been to a Chinese or Korean factory? There IS NO slave labor in the electronics manufacturing industry. These products are made over there for 2 reasons. NO labor unions which mean they will work a full day. The other reason is that these people have a work ethic! They are all proud of the company they work for and the products they make. Can you think of a single company in the US that can say that today? It's common sense that puts manufacturing over seas. Better products for less money. Period!

Yes I agree with you on their strong work ethic and no unions. This is why they are exploited as slave labour. Why slave labour because they work 10-14 hour shifts every day for peanuts. What making 1 us dollar and hour is a wage ok their buddy. And how do you explain the high suicide rate in these so called factories. Please enlighten me, you honestly telling me you would work under the same conditions in your home town, yeah right. Get a freaking clue.

Their is a reason US companies are stopping manufacturing here. Its not the unions. Its employee rights and protection reform. Their is no way in h@ll that people in the us would work 10-14 hour days for 1 dollar an hour even 5 dollars an hour. Plus we have more stringent environmental laws then these Asian countries. Europeans, Canadians, Americans are just as hard working as Asians, the difference is we don't live fearing for our lives under oppressive regeams, being forced to work under said conditions and fearing to resist or say no.

You sir need to go back to school and learn about other cultures and political regions. Get out of your bubble, cause your statement is very ignorant. Talk to some individuals that emigrated from china, Taiwan and the like and they will laugh at your rosey picture. Only nations in Asia that have some sort of standards are South Korea and Japan, yet they have their manufacturing in other less standardized Asian nations go figure.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh how horrible, investors looking to make a profit and in many cases a huge profit.

Is this forum and specifically this topic going to morph into one about politics, values, and morals?

The original posted question should provide for you the obvious answer.

We all want to buy shoes for a nickel and we all want $100/hr for our own efforts.

When Henry Ford opened his factories, he paid twice the going labor rate to his workers. When asked why he did this he responded that he wanted his workers to be able to buy the product they are building.

Scooter_In_MN

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes I agree with you on their strong work ethic and no unions. This is why they are exploited as slave labour. Why slave labour because they work 10-14 hour shifts every day for peanuts. What making 1 us dollar and hour is a wage ok their buddy. And how do you explain the high suicide rate in these so called factories. Please enlighten me, you honestly telling me you would work under the same conditions in your home town, yeah right. Get a freaking clue.

Their is a reason US companies are stopping manufacturing here. Its not the unions. Its employee rights and protection reform. Their is no way in h@ll that people in the us would work 10-14 hour days for 1 dollar an hour even 5 dollars an hour. Plus we have more stringent environmental laws then these Asian countries. Europeans, Canadians, Americans are just as hard working as Asians, the difference is we don't live fearing for our lives under oppressive regeams, being forced to work under said conditions and fearing to resist or say no.

You sir need to go back to school and learn about other cultures and political regions. Get out of your bubble, cause your statement is very ignorant. Talk to some individuals that emigrated from china, Taiwan and the like and they will laugh at your rosey picture. Only nations in Asia that have some sort of standards are South Korea and Japan, yet they have their manufacturing in other less standardized Asian nations go figure.

I have talked to a few. :D I lived in China for a year and a half and still travel to Taiwan. My best friend still lives in Baoding. I know first hand the culture, working conditions, and the work ethic there so I "don't live in a bubble" or need to learn about Asia from a book. The only thing that they laugh at is us and OUR work ethic. You are correct that they get peanuts compared to us but they can actually live off of what they make. ALL of the Asians that I know that emigrated to the US did so because they got married to an American or they wanted their children to attend an american school. Not because of the rosey way we treat employees. I know that this point of view is forced on you by the media and I get that but it's simply not true. Americans have to understand that nobody (including ourselves) will by a product made here at twice the costs than from somewhere else for the same or better quality. Basic math.

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem supporting them by buying their products. They support me by buying millions of dollars of testing equipment from the company I work for.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The original posted question should provide for you the obvious answer.

We all want to buy shoes for a nickel and we all want $100/hr for our own efforts.

When Henry Ford opened his factories, he paid twice the going labor rate to his workers. When asked why he did this he responded that he wanted his workers to be able to buy the product they are building.

Different times, different situations. Henry Ford, didn't have to deal with a plethora of costs and burdons that modern day companies have to.

Let's take it a step further, we are living in a global economy, something that was not a factor for Ford's generation. Even good old Henry Fords company outsources much of its assembly.

Reactions: Ry

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
. I know that this point of view is forced on you by the media and I get that but it's simply not true. Americans have to understand that nobody (including ourselves) will by a product made here at twice the costs than from somewhere else for the same or better quality. Basic math.

I think you have a media skewed perspective if you believe globalization and off shore manufacturing is good and benefits the American consumer.

If you read works by economics professors and economists that are not swayed by corporate interests they will tell you that globalization and the global economy are killing our way of life and will blow up in our faces making the depression of the 30s look like preschool.

You want basic math, here it is if we would manufacturer are own stuff at a higher wage then we get now, we could afford a 1400 dollar iPhone and still have money for mortgage and the rest. At the same time living without debt. But guess what the man wants you in financial debt so you can be a mindless work drone worrying about your finances, while corporates and politicians rake in the money and the vast majority have nothing. In the 50s and 60s the majority of americans had homes cars luxuries with close to zero debt with hardly any unemployment today they are buried in debt, with high unemployment. look at the great USA if they continue on their downward economic spiral they surely will have the economy of a 3rd world country in the next 5-10 years. They already desimimated many a cities and towns in Michigan because of all the foreign manufacturer of car parts. The global economy is nothing more then a sham the biggest ponzy scheme ever created and people like yourself are falling for it. The banks and governments are printing money out of thin air, we will never make up the dept of our nations under this system. Apple Samsung and others are forcing this cr@p down our throats all in the name of higher margins while we live in a society of major debt.

And you talk about basic math. If we make way more then current we can afford higher priced products. Funny how over the last 30 years prices on everything have gone up 10 fold but our wages only doubled or tripled and you dont see a problem with this and I need the simple math lesson oh brother.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not as what apple is doing imo is completely UN-AMERICAN!! This country is about choice but apple is trying to destroy choice and be a monopolizing dictatorship. I will never buy apple not because of their products but because of their business practices!

I think you make some very good points.

When you consider how long it has been since Apple has made any significant updates to iOS, plus their hard and fast rule to only releasing a new phone once a year (if you can call it that), even though they only change their phone once every couple of years and at least in my opinion you have a recipe for disaster in the long run.

Apple no longer has the luxury of having the smartphone with the largest of anything. Clearly, Apple is worried. One of the terms that Jobs coined (fragmentation) regarding Android as being a weakness is turning into one of its strengths. Can it be a headache having so many different styles of phones along with a variety of handsets, hell yes. Is it annoying when a company like Motorola releases new phones every couple of months, oh hell yes it is. But, ultimately, at least in my opinion it is benefiting the consumer.

iOS is just downright old and tired. It is a very restrictive operating system. There are some definite advantages to having it this way, but how long is it going to be before the consumers no longer need an iPhone for a year or two?

Now look at Android, look at how much it has changed since the very first version. There are significant changes, not to mention with each new release there are significant improvements.

At one time, iOS was innovative, original and creative. That is simply not the case anymore. There are features that have been incorporated into later versions of iOS that are clearly "borrowed" from Android. The notification bar is a significant one. Folders and desktop customization are also in that area in my opinion.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
And I am not saying there aren't well of people in china and Taiwan. But I have a few friends that teach English in both countries in smaller manufacturing cities and the stories they tell me and our friends are disgusting and appalling when it comes to working conditions, and how many in these towns and cities live on edge of poverty. All I was saying was you would not want to work in the conditions i was described. What you see on your china trips is show for the westerners what happens behind the scenes is different, china is a communist nation, I immigrated from Poland to flee communist rule, believe me when I say you would not like to live under such system. Nor do people that are stuck in such nations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon