09-03-2012 08:00 PM
58 123
tools
    Let us rejoice on the fast and decisive decision that a jury of 7 inept persons with no knowledge in technology took in the case against Samsung. Why? Samsung' s stock went down while the others went up. Samsung's employees are freaked out. There is the chance of products being banned in the US including one the best selling android phones in history. Celebrate the fact that I imagine that many other companies will be stalked by the owners of the rectangular electronic device. Again, why should we rejoice? Well all I can see coming out of this is the best smartphone in history after the S3. I can't even try to imagine what Samsung will come up with to kill the already mediocre iPhone's, including #5. What will other companies come up with including companies like Xiaomi. People don't worry the Runaway Jury can only go so far. Sooner or later we will have the next best thing in our hands and don't worry, you will have time to save your money because this isn't happening in September!!
    Tkbredx, Johnly and bdmridgback like this.
    08-27-2012 07:34 PM
    I was reading an article that said this may actually be good for Samsung in the long run. Conversations supposedly have been overheard where people are saying "If the products are exactly alike why should I pay a premium to Apple if Samsung does the same thing cheaper"? Gotta love thinking like that!
    Ntchwaidumela and Roboticz like this.
    08-27-2012 08:51 PM
    Fanboy nonsense aside, the question in my mind is: does Samsung have the talent necessary to truly go their own way with something original? The Galaxy line is definitely evolving nicely, so perhaps they do - but it will be interesting to see what the next few Galaxy devices look like.
    08-27-2012 09:09 PM
    The big question is how "original" do they really need to go?
    08-27-2012 09:13 PM
    The big question is how "original" do they really need to go?
    Good question. I view both Sense and the native Android UI as being very original. (or at least as original as is necessary in today's competitive smartphone environment) Microsoft's new UI is obviously very fresh and unique, and I suspect the new blackberry OS will be pretty original as well.

Clearly Touchwiz began it's life as a ripoff of iOS. (which is why Samsung stood no chance in the lawsuit) But I think if they can keep moving it away from iOS in the direction they're going (I'm generally fine with the "nature" thing) as well as make it a little less cartoonish then I think that will be a good start. Beyond that I'd like to see Samsung step up and be a real leader in Android UI. They're dominating sales for sure, but I still think Sense is quite a bit better from a design standpoint.
    08-27-2012 11:08 PM
    I think touch wiz is far different from ios and while Samsung may not be moving that far away from iPhones they are definitely changing the world with their features (motion). They will only get better and better too. Which is why I can't wait for Apple to slip up and take one of the TW features like swipe to capture for example. Oh how sweet revenge is
    08-28-2012 02:35 AM
    remember its not just sammy been hit by this.. how are google gona find a good way of using a touchscreen without finger gestures. i dont care about sammy, i care about android
    Tkbredx likes this.
    08-28-2012 02:47 AM
    08-28-2012 04:18 AM
    I personally care about both Sammy and android, it pains me to see people at work point at the s3 and just say oh that's ghee phone that was on the news for copying..... while they hold up there ty iphone..... I'm not supposed to take it personally hut honestly it like some one literally crapped on my floor.... more than anything I'm disappointed in our patent system and our judicial system as-well I just know that Google will continue innovating android and great things are to come, much like the movie industry and the cable companies fighting digital distribution and bringing laws up like the protect ip act.... this is just apple's dying attempts to stay relevant.... accompany that can't produce real products dies regardless they just delay the inevitable....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    08-28-2012 04:33 AM
    it does seem to be a HUGE problem in the US legal system mate. hope it changes.
    as for the iphone users.... samsung may have "copied" a few things but your workmates copied the masses lol and your device is superior.... fact
    08-28-2012 04:41 AM
    I just think some of these patents are just plain stupid. How can some thing so basic as pinch-to-zoom be a patent by Apple? How was that even allowed. That's like the most basic way to zoom in. "Experts" say that the verdict might be good for the industry, because it will force developers to innovate and come out with new ideas, but how else are you suppose to do the most basic functions? What other innovative ways are they suppose to zoom in and out? Double tap if you want to zoom in. Triple tap if you want to zoom out. Yell at your phone if you want to zoom in slightly. It's like putting a patent on the back key to make you go back to the previous page. It's as ridiculous as putting a patent on walking. "Oh you can no longer walk with one foot in front of the other. You have to come up with an innovative way of walking."
    trucky and Rev2010 like this.
    08-28-2012 04:50 AM
    its like a detroit music producer patenting acid house music or someone patenting dubstep!
    music is influenced and evolved from other artists otherwise what kinda crap would we be listening to lol
    08-28-2012 05:00 AM
    True that. One thing that's good about competition is not only just new and fresh ideas, but those that are over looked; the ideas that are borrowed from each other and improved upon. We know competitors borrow from each other, but, often time, they take an idea someone else came up with and make it better. We see it in videogames all the time.
    08-28-2012 05:16 AM
    totaly, everything should evolve from each other, thatp how everything advances. think of animals.. a mutation (innovation) occurs, if its successful, the animal succeeds and produces offspring that share that successful trait... 1000years later u have a new species (wow im goin way off topic lol)
    08-28-2012 05:28 AM
    totaly, everything should evolve from each other, thatp how everything advances. think of animals.. a mutation (innovation) occurs, if its successful, the animal succeeds and produces offspring that share that successful trait... 1000years later u have a new species (wow im goin way off topic lol)
    In fairness regarding the pinch to zoom patent Google have already said they are getting the US patent office to examine it to see if it is fair.
    08-28-2012 08:31 AM
    thats good but i have no faith in the US patent office lol. thixkin positive though
    do windows phones use pinch2zoom?
    08-28-2012 08:44 AM
    thats good but i have no faith in the US patent office lol. thixkin positive though
    No idea but lets put it this way I can't see pinch to zoom being taken out anytime soon. Plus we are safe the ruling was an american ruling much like the global search one a UK judge has already found in favour of Samsung in this country
    08-28-2012 09:50 AM
    Yes it does because MS has paid Apple licensing fees for use of various features. MS and Apple are friends believe it or not. They both consider Google their enemy.
    08-28-2012 09:56 AM
    Apples ecosystem is all about control. Control of consumer and their money. MS likes that way of thinking. You guys remember the Zune player awhile back that MS released?? If anyone recalls, MS tried doing the same as the ipod where you would connect to a software like itunes where you sync all your stuff to the Zune player. When I bought the Zune player for my dad and realized that you had to connect via software in order to put music (or anything) in the player, I returned it!! I ended up with a Sansa player!
    08-28-2012 10:06 AM
    No idea but lets put it this way I can't see pinch to zoom being taken out anytime soon. Plus we are safe the ruling was an american ruling much like the global search one a UK judge has already found in favour of Samsung in this country
    lol aye. im SO anti-uk but tech-wise its workin out quite well for us eh
    08-28-2012 10:09 AM
    Yes it does because MS has paid Apple licensing fees for use of various features. MS and Apple are friends believe it or not. They both consider Google their enemy.
    hmm true mate
    08-28-2012 10:09 AM
    this is just apple's dying attempts to stay relevant.... accompany that can't produce real products dies regardless they just delay the inevitable....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    This makes the top 10 of my "craziest things I've read on the internet" list. Thanks!
    08-28-2012 10:38 AM
    Pinch to zoom wasn't there until someone thought of the idea. I'm sure there must be other alternatives that just haven't been thought of yet. Some ideas are actually revolutionary not evolutionary.
    08-28-2012 10:48 AM
    I'm not worried about it at all. The money won't affect Samsung and their going to appeal it anyway. An appeal will also put the breaks on any possible product bans. by the time this whole thing is really settled all those products will be outdated obsolete models. It bugs me that certain moronic media outlets keep reporting this as a blow or damaging to "Android", it's not... it's a blow to Samsung. And the whole Steve Jobs thermonuclear on Android because "it's a stolen product" is a total load of horse(youknowhat). Android is based on Linux, an OS Apple eventually switched to themselves and was developed by Linus Torvalds, it's not stolen from Apple.

Anyhow, all that aside the problem with all this is our ancient and broken patent legal system. The current legal infrastructure is outdated and does not have all the new technologies taken into account yet so they often don't know how to approach certain issues that arise. I work at a law firm and the lawyers themselves told me this and explained it. They are lawyers, not techs, and every time they take on a tech related case they have to literally learn what it is, how it works, what the dispute is, etc. But what needs to happen, and I think it eventually will, is a stop needs to be put on patenting simple concepts - like a rectangular phone, pinch to zoom, a green phone call button, etc. That is pure nonsense. Let's take pinch to zoom... I agree that can patent the technology underneath it, in this case capacitive touchscreen technology, but after that how can you dictate in which ways I am allowed to move my fingers on the screen?? That is plain ridiculousness and the only way they are getting away with it is buying it by paying lawyers big bucks, threatening smaller companies with bankruptcy (since they would have to pay their own legal fees to fight the bully), etc.

Colors and icons, it's absurd to argue infringement on these things unless they are copying too closely your trademark - like another burger joint using the same colors and similar design in their name as McDonalds. But can you patent the shape of a burger??? Or the bun?? Or "ours has sesame seeds!"? No, of course not. it has to stop, and it has to stop soon.

What scares me though is the lawyers don't want it to stop and as a matter of fact want it even more complicated. The more complex and absurd the legal system is the more they are called upon for their services and the bigger their paychecks become. Doing away with frivolity will lose them a ton of money. In London for example, if someone sues another and loses they are required to pay the winner's legal fees. That makes people/companies think twice about suing unless they really know they have a strong case. Do we do that here? No. You have to either ask the judge to grant legal fee reimbursement or sue to recoup the fees and if I recall that is very difficult to do and certain exceptions have to be met.

Rev.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    08-28-2012 11:27 AM
    This makes the top 10 of my "craziest things I've read on the internet" list. Thanks!
    lol thats not fair man.... top 50 maybe
    08-28-2012 11:50 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD