"Eye" icon in notifications - Smart Stay?

its111

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The eye is the smart rotation feature. It allows the camera to detect how to rotate your screen. Disable it in Settings/Display/Features.

jess9074

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a no signal sign with an i in the middle. Ive read a lot of comments that say to turn on my notifications icon back on but I don't have it. Its not between mobile data and power saving. Any other way to get rid of it?

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Folks Please help me out here. I read comments here but still not getting it. So I charged my galaxy s3 last night and probably used it for 2-3 minutes then when I woke up this morning and saw 19% battery (CRAZYYYY).
I noticed this eye symbol that was constantly on?[/B]??[/B] may be this is the problem???. I don't know what causing all this??

Ever since I got the phone I always turn data off when I am on wifi, auto brightness is off and brightness is at 5%, I clear my task manager. Besides all this what could cause battery drainage ??

Thank You

OK. First off, you're doing some things here that are not necessary and/or bad. You don't need to turn off mobile data when you are connected to WiFi. That happens automatically, so you're just wasting your time. The exception to this, is if you have the WiFi set to go to sleep. DO NOT "CLEAR YOUR TASK MANAGER". This has become a massive pet peeve. Apps stay loaded in memory so that they can use *less* resouces next time you want to use them. Many apps, such as those that sync, will have to relaunch themselves to perform that sync. This means that, by constantly force closing them, you're actually making them chew up far more battery by relaunching than they were by just sitting there idle. And that's not even getting into the stability issues you can create.

It's important to understand that, in Android, apps stay loaded in memory, but that doesn't mean that they are running. That's not to say that there can't be an app that was written badly that doesn't properly sleep and *could* drain your battery. In that instance, uninstall that app and give it the bad review it deserves in the Play Store, since handling this event is simple and there's no excuse for an app to be doing it incorrectly. Personally, I use an app called "System Panel" for that sort of thing. It works much more like "Task Manager" for Windows, in that you can see from the main list *which* app(s) is using the CPU by a small, vertical gray bar on the left edge of each item in the list.. It will also indicate the apps' actual status: "active", "idle", "cached", "service" or "system".

Now, for the battery drain, go to the settings menu, and then "Battery" and it will show you what apps have been using the most battery. Now, so long as you have been force closing everything, this might be misleading as you will likely see a bunch of system apps eating a lot of power because they keep having to relaunch. At the top, where is says "1h 40m 40s on battery" (or whatever time) click on that, and it will give you details on how much your screen has been on, and whether the phone has been prevented from "sleeping". This is indicated by the "Awake" bar at the bottom of that second screen.

There are actually a couple of things here to take note of: the awake time. If it's solid, you've got a bad app that's killing your phone. Also look at the "Mobile Network Signal" bar. If it's solid red, this means you're in a low signal area, which will rapidly drain your battery as the phone (desperately) searches for a better signal.

Also, if you're connected to WiFi at night, make sure that your WiFi isn't set to "sleep". To do this, go into settings, then WiFi, then hit the "Menu" button and select "Advanced" from the menu. There are a couple of settings here, actually. Personally, I *always* uncheck the "Network notification" option. This means that the WiFi scans every 5 minutes or so for an "open" WiFi in your area and notifies you if it finds one. Depends on how much of your day you spend going from place to place and how important it is to know if there's an open WiFi in the area, I guess. Also, if you turn off that notification option, set the "Keep WiFi on durring sleep" to "always". I know that having the WiFi chip "sleep" along with the phone sounds like a great idea, but these devices *want* to be connected to the internet so, as soon as the WiFi cuts out, the cellular radio turns back on and that uses significantly more power than WiFi.

I suspect your problem is going to be either a rogue app or the cellular signal strength. Personally, I leave WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS on 24/7 and I get 12-15 hours of battery life, easily, with moderate usage on my Note 2.

Greg Lee

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I received the T-Mobile 4G LTE upgrade for my Note 2 this morning and the "eye icon" turned on and appeared to stay on. Before the upgrade, I had "Smart Stay" turned on, but honestly, it never worked. It appears as though T-Mobile may have fixed this issue along with the upgrade. When I go into settings, the "eye icon" turns on and off as I turn Smart Stay on and off. And, most importantly, Smart Stay now actually works as intened.

GreenBerry84

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I received the T-Mobile 4G LTE upgrade for my Note 2 this morning and the "eye icon" turned on and appeared to stay on. Before the upgrade, I had "Smart Stay" turned on, but honestly, it never worked. It appears as though T-Mobile may have fixed this issue along with the upgrade. When I go into settings, the "eye icon" turns on and off as I turn Smart Stay on and off. And, most importantly, Smart Stay now actually works as intened.
From above -
walcolm said:
The eye icon is not supposed to be steady in the notification bar...it's supposed to show up intermittently when the camera is checking for activity

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
Greg, Walcolm is right and how he describes it is how it works for me, if the eye icon is there all the time as you say, it isn't working correctly. The eye should come on just before your screen times out to check if you are looking, replies above suggest a battery pull would fix this for you.

DestinJaybird

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
ss89987_zps7127094c.png

I've got the same issue. I've done everything mentioned above (disabled auto rotate, smart stay, powered down, back up, removed battery...) and nothing has worked. it seems the icon appeared for the first time after the latest TMobile update a few days ago. I'm not, however, having any battery issues. The little thing is just annoying me. Any other suggestions?

Kaustubh Thakur

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I noticed -

First-off, the eye icon DOES go away if I disable both smartstay and smartrotate.

However, when you notice carefully and actually test the smartstay feature by putting time out to let's say 1 min and then popping your head in front of the screen after 50 secs, the color of "the eye" slightly brightens. What that tells me is previously the eye used to pop up; it felt like my phone just opened one eye to see if I'm around and if I was, he would close his eye and re-check after said timeout period.

But now with this new LTE update pushed. The eye icon always stays there, only while checking for my presence, it goes from off-white to bright-white.

For me the smart stay was working prior to the update and is working now too.

I just wish these people had some common sense to not change a beautifully implemented feature into an "eye" soar... why on earth would anybody wanna clutter their notification area with an icon that's gonna pretty much live there now. :p

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae291/destinjay/ss89987_zps7127094c.png

I've got the same issue. I've done everything mentioned above (disabled auto rotate, smart stay, powered down, back up, removed battery...) and nothing has worked. it seems the icon appeared for the first time after the latest TMobile update a few days ago. I'm not, however, having any battery issues. The little thing is just annoying me. Any other suggestions?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
On my Sprint S3, the "eye" still works as it always did, popping up only when checking to see if you're still looking at the phone, or when you rotate the phone (if smart rotate is on). If it's not working that way on yours, then either your carrier screwed up their customizations, or there's another issue with your phone.

Samsung didn't screw it up.

Kaustubh Thakur

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
On my Sprint S3, the "eye" still works as it always did, popping up only when checking to see if you're still looking at the phone, or when you rotate the phone (if smart rotate is on). If it's not working that way on yours, then either your carrier screwed up their customizations, or there's another issue with your phone.

Samsung didn't screw it up.

I bet it's not Uncle Sammy.. Must have been Tmobile's "brilliant" idea... They like to dumb down any smartphone to a point it's almost weakens the gene pool at large... :D

Rotem Sagi

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem on my s4. The battery remove didn't work, but i think I found the solution. If you disable all the features of smart stay and smart scroll (inside the settings) the eye finally disappear. It's not enough to disable it from the notifications menu, all the settings of each feature needs to be disabled too.

:)

Jason Sprong

May 23, 2013
Visit site
To get the "eye" to disappear from my notification area, I went to :
Settings -> My Device-> Smart Screen.

From here, any "checked" selection will cause the "eye" to appear on the notification bar.
Un-check everything to remove the "eye"...
To me, these functions are not really worth having,
unless you're so lazy that it's difficult for you to use a finger to move your screen.!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To each his own, but I find Smart Stay to be very useful. It lets me set my automatic timeout very short, to save battery when I'm not actively using the phone, without having to worry about it timing out while I'm in the middle of viewing something.

Miskinak

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
This was incredibly helpful thank you TenshiNo

After realizing it was related to the Smart Stay feature everything made sense, but the tips and settings you suggested helped me out a lot, thank you.

Ahmad Ahvaz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This notification tells you that the front camera is unable to detect your eyes to turn the screen on as long as you look at it and therefore your phone battery drainage isn't related to it and you can disable it if you want , go to setting and open display then you find smart stay box and leave the box empty so you can't see this notification anymore.

Man Manny

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Talking about that doctor-headpain analogy, sometimes it's difficult to describe the pain, u just want the Dr to treat u and let the pain go away. If my Dr. insists on me fully describing my pains before he treats me, it'll be time to shop for another Dr, believe me!