I'm thinking of rooting my galaxy s3 but I'm not sure if I should... Should I?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-29-2012 06:52 PM
    there are a couple threads about it already but saying that j can't count and.paste I'll tell you a couple main points

Back up your phone, apps, settings, and data.

Have a faster phone

Better battery life

Silence the camera

Run themes and get rid of Samsung's awful color scheme (like the toggles, they are ugly as hell).

Get rid of bloatware.
    08-29-2012 07:01 PM
    All of the above, plus the following:

Remove any UI sounds you don't like, or even introduce totally custom sounds for ANY function of the device, including boot up, shutdown, camera, feedback, and all others. Also customize native ringtones and notifications and boot/shutdown animations.

You can also modify signal and GPS performance, free up a lot of memory from services that do not get disabled even when you install replacement features.

There are other benefits too but these are just a few more to the list.
    08-29-2012 07:16 PM
    All rooting does is give you file permissions. Unlocking the bootloader is the true weapon to wield.

EDIT: Weird, I posted at 8:17pm, yet it says 7:17pm. Oh well lol
    sicario666 likes this.
    08-29-2012 07:17 PM
    Why root? My main question is why not?! Just as stated above. You will get everything possible out of your hardware after rooting. Not only that. You can flash CM10 jelly bean ROMs. If you like aosp its the way to go.

FissionMailed from Paranoid S3
    08-29-2012 07:19 PM
    Sorry about that, for some reason my post became the first post? Regardless, that post is my response lol
    08-29-2012 07:19 PM
    Lol that is weird. Unlocking the bootloader is also one click away if you have root.

You can do a lot of things with either and everything with both.
    08-29-2012 07:21 PM
    All rooting does is give you file permissions. Unlocking the bootloader is the true weapon to wield.

Dude. I think I seen a post like this in the chatter thread too.

08-29-2012 07:22 PM
    Lol that is weird. Unlocking the bootloader is also one click away if you have root.

You can do a lot of things with either and everything with both.
    I forgot you guys have that menacing GSIII . Everything seems so simple in the land of Nexii
    08-29-2012 07:22 PM
    I forgot you guys have that menacing GSIII . Everything seems so simple in the land of Nexii
    Yep I had the Nexus before I had the GS3 and the GS3 is just one extra step haha. But it is just as functional as the Nexus. The only thing I hate is that freezing does not work on a lot of the core apps at least on a Verizon phone for sure. They unfreeze themselves after every reboot and then are running again. So I do a CWM backup of all the core apps and then actually uninstall all the ones I don't want to be running or used.
    08-29-2012 07:24 PM
    Short simple answer: IF YOU'RE NOT SURE WHAT ROOTING IS/DOES THAN YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT!

I say this in your benefit. You don't want to venture down the dark alleyway without a flashlight.

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums
    08-29-2012 07:47 PM

08-29-2012 07:59 PM
    Short simple answer: IF YOU'RE NOT SURE WHAT ROOTING IS/DOES THAN YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT!

I say this in your benefit. You don't want to venture down the dark alleyway without a flashlight.

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums
    I didn't really know at first but now I'm rooted, running roms, and pretty much ready to go ask with the help of others (and by others I mean skunk ape, my rooting savior). As long as the person reads, pays attention to details, stays in the forums, and watches YouTube videos they can learn and be rooted easily.
    08-29-2012 08:11 PM
    I didn't really know at first but now I'm rooted, running roms, and pretty much ready to go ask with the help of others (and by others I mean skunk ape, my rooting savior). As long as the person reads, pays attention to details, stays in the forums, and watches YouTube videos they can learn and be rooted easily.
    This.
    08-29-2012 08:12 PM

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    All you have to do is some research. If this were the case then no one would be rooted lol. A little guidance is all it takes. Check out this link.

Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S3 [How To]

It also links to other posts for the steps of accomplishing each stage. Follow it step by step, and I can provide you with some of the tools needed. I added the copy of the recovery image into the odin archive. The following three should have everything you need:

USB Drivers -> Eh, it looks like this one is too big. Just download the Verizon GSIII drivers
    GS3 DebugFS Root Tool
    Odin Flashing Tool -> make sure you follow these instructions clearly and I can help if you have questions.

Happy rooting
    08-29-2012 08:27 PM
    All you have to do is some research. If this were the case then no one would be rooted lol. A little guidance is all it takes. Check out this link.

Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S3 [How To]

It also links to other posts for the steps of accomplishing each stage. Follow it step by step, and I can provide you with some of the tools needed. I added the copy of the recovery image into the odin archive. The following three should have everything you need:

USB Drivers -> Eh, it looks like this one is too big. Just download the Verizon GSIII drivers
    GS3 DebugFS Root Tool
    Odin Flashing Tool -> make sure you follow these instructions clearly and I can help if you have questions.

Happy rooting
    That was implied. Seems like quite a few people dive in without any idea of risks or proper procedure (there's a guy on the Verizon boards who literally flashed a JB ROM over a locked bootloader).

Not being a jerk, just making sure nobody screws up their device. Of course doing research beforehand is important, why would I suggest otherwise? Lol

08-29-2012 09:08 PM
    That was implied. Seems like quite a few people dive in without any idea of risks or proper procedure (there's a guy on the Verizon boards who literally flashed a JB ROM over a locked bootloader).

Not being a jerk, just making sure nobody screws up their device. Of course doing research beforehand is important, why would I suggest otherwise? Lol

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    No sweat, I wasn't taking a shot at you. My apologies if it seemed that way, and for many users I would side with your statement.

Hopefully the info I provided will help new root desiring users.
    Srambo217 likes this.
    08-29-2012 10:10 PM

Those of us with international S3 don't even have to worry about locked bootloaders

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    08-30-2012 07:03 AM
    1 More: it lets you install AdFree and get rid of all ads in aps, games, browser, etc. That + the bloat removal are super simple, and worth rooting for even if you do nothing else. Addition of a WiFi button in the pull-down menu was easy too, and I use it a ton.
    08-31-2012 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD