09-10-2012 03:12 PM
28 12
tools
    Samsung shouldn't have copied if it didn't want any trouble. They're acting way too desperate these days. Apple's patents are hillarious in many cases, but at least they are valid (at least here) and they certainly aren't SEP/FRAND.

LTE Patents needed to implement a standards-complient LTE Radio are SEP/FRAND. That's how it works. They will clobber themselves. Maybe they plan to win by running up Apple's court costs, although I heard their lawyers are for the US case were a fair bit more expensive :-P
    09-01-2012 06:15 PM
    While I'm no fan of Apple's behavior, there's no way Samsung will have any luck suing over LTE patents.

First, it'll just get them in more trouble with the US and EU anti-trust investigations already going regarding their use of FRAND patents.

Second, Apple buys their chips from Qualcom, which already has a license for all the LTE/CDMA/GSM patents. Samsung cannot then sue the purchaser of the chips (Apple). This is law in the US and EU.

Third, Apple itself owns some LTE patents (look up Rockstar). If Samsung tries to assert their patents, Apple can assert theirs.

Unfortunately, in this case, I do not see any way for Samsung to have any success at all with this attempt. I see it as nothing more than Samsung trying to save face (a big deal in Chinese and Korean culture) in light of their big loss in the recent US court case.

Again, I'm no fan of Apple here, but simply going on fact and law, Samsung here doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    Ry and JHBThree like this.
    09-03-2012 01:12 PM
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...-over-lte.html

One of the points made in the conclusion of this report is that the huge valuations for patent acquisitions of Nortel and Motorola Mobility at $4.5 billion and $12.5 billion, respectively, have given Apple, Microsoft, RIM and Google representation in patent ownership of LTE technology. The report notes that Apple is in an LTE patent consortium with EMC, Ericsson, Microsoft, RIM and Sony.

When you add up LTE patents from Apple and partners Qualcomm and Ericsson alone, it would appear that mathematically Apple has an excellent chance of defeating Samsung's coming lawsuit handily. Then again, it's likely to be another huge patent case slugfest between Apple and Samsung with both camps playing it up in the press.
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    09-10-2012 03:12 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD