Dropped calls.

jdennysgirl

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have searched here and not many people mention dropped calls. My hubby has a regular non smartphone and gets 4 to 5 bars constantly. My S3 jumps in and out of roaming and I never have more than 3 bars, usually 1 or 2. I am dropping calls to the point I can't even talk! I have been on the phone with US Cellular and they have told me they are aware of it and they are working on the problem. I can't see how it can be the carrier since my hubby has no problems with his calls. It makes me think I have a bad S3. They want to charge me 35.00 for a refurbished phone, or the other option they gave me was to send it in for free for who knows how long, for repairs. My feelings are, I bought this phone new about 2 months ago, and I feel they should give me a new one right away. Has anyone else had problems like this, or any thoughts as to what is going on or what I should do? I love the phone except for this. Thanks.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have searched here and not many people mention dropped calls. My hubby has a regular non smartphone and gets 4 to 5 bars constantly. My S3 jumps in and out of roaming and I never have more than 3 bars, usually 1 or 2. I am dropping calls to the point I can't even talk! I have been on the phone with US Cellular and they have told me they are aware of it and they are working on the problem. I can't see how it can be the carrier since my hubby has no problems with his calls. It makes me think I have a bad S3. They want to charge me 35.00 for a refurbished phone, or the other option they gave me was to send it in for free for who knows how long, for repairs. My feelings are, I bought this phone new about 2 months ago, and I feel they should give me a new one right away. Has anyone else had problems like this, or any thoughts as to what is going on or what I should do? I love the phone except for this. Thanks.

While I have Verizon, I would think that if there is an issue with your phone they should not be charging you a $35 fee for a refurbished phone when this could be considered a warranty issue. What I would do is call the tech support and be respectful and nice because anytime that you get angry they are less likely to help you. Just explain your situation nicely and say that you are paying monthly/yearly however you have your contract for phone service and you can't actually use your service. Just be nice about it and they might help you out more.

calwashere

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I spent a good part of last week arguing with US Cellular about this very issue. My Galaxy S3 hasn't worked properly since I got it two months ago. I went in during the exchange period and was told they working on fixing the bugs that making calls drop and reception bad. I considered exchanging it then but they said they didn't want me to have a phone that didn't work and said I could exchange it if it doesn't get fixed.

Well, they did do a software upgrade and it got worse. I use to be able to send texts and use data reliably, now I get constant weird messages that I lost data connectivity.

I went it again and was told I could buy a new phone altogether using my daughter's available upgrade?! What the heck!!!! Why would they think for a minute that I would pay for another phone when the one they sold me never worked?

I ended up calling US Cellular and spent an hour on the phone with a manager. They made a note to my file which says they will allow me to swap the phone.

Every other phone in my house works, the Galaxy 3 is the only one that doesn't.

You should not have to pay for another phone at all. This Galaxy 3 issue isn't yours, it belongs to Samsung and to US Cellular to stand behind.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I spent a good part of last week arguing with US Cellular about this very issue. My Galaxy S3 hasn't worked properly since I got it two months ago. I went in during the exchange period and was told they working on fixing the bugs that making calls drop and reception bad. I considered exchanging it then but they said they didn't want me to have a phone that didn't work and said I could exchange it if it doesn't get fixed.

Well, they did do a software upgrade and it got worse. I use to be able to send texts and use data reliably, now I get constant weird messages that I lost data connectivity.

I went it again and was told I could buy a new phone altogether using my daughter's available upgrade?! What the heck!!!! Why would they think for a minute that I would pay for another phone when the one they sold me never worked?

I ended up calling US Cellular and spent an hour on the phone with a manager. They made a note to my file which says they will allow me to swap the phone.

Every other phone in my house works, the Galaxy 3 is the only one that doesn't.

You should not have to pay for another phone at all. This Galaxy 3 issue isn't yours, it belongs to Samsung and to US Cellular to stand behind.

Sadly, I think that they duped you into not exchanging your phone within the return time so that they could charge you later. That is something that I would take up with US Cellular. That's poor customer service. If you experience issues with your device within the return period you should return it no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I was having problems with dropped calls on mine too. I am up in Canada and was using Telus. My iP4 never had any problems. I called the carrier to see if there was any known issues. The tech said that he was unaware of any and that I should exchange the phone.

I know the GS2 had some issues when 4G/LTE and 3G would fluctuate back and forth resulting in dropped calls. Not sure if this is the same kind of thing going on with yours.

I returned/exchanged the phone and the new one has not dropped a call on me yet.

Vee_G

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I got my Galaxy S III 3 weeks ago. I am also in Canada with Telus. A week into my phone I started having problems with dropped calls. It's to the point now where it'll drop the call every 30 seconds. I've had Telus replace my sim card, I've changed network settings, removed non essential apps, did a factory reset, firmware update this morning - it's really bad. I can't even talk on the phone. I can maintain a phone call when connected to wifi at home.

Telus is sending me a replacement unit since I'm still in my 30 days. They asked if I wanted a different device. I'm coming from a BlackBerry. I really hope the new handset doesn't give me the same trouble. I don't want an iPhone and despite the trouble I like Android but I need my phone to do the basic thing it was intended for, make and maintain calls while mobile.

Anyone know of any fix?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

twitkow

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Dropped calls

I too am having problems. I had no problems for the first couple of weeks. We have 3 other GS3s and they work fine. I too was offered a refurbished phone for $35. Great deal... I am new to us cellular and had heard good things about them. What a mistake. I am paying over $200 a month for a family plan and have a phone that can't stay on a call. I was told in August that a fix was on the way. Called again today and they said a couple of weeks. The lack of customer service is disturbing. Just received a consumer report survey re cell carriers and will let them know how lacking the customer service really is.

Vee_G

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Just to update. I received my replacement device From Telus last week. I haven't had any problems thus far.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Kay Rouse

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem with my note ll right now. I can't even talk on the phone. Just bought it a couple months ago. The only option they offered me was to pay 35.00 for a refurbished phone or wait 3 weeks or longer for my phone to be repaired. I think the phone is bad and I should receive a new phone. Samsung needs to stsnd by their product. I'm livid!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Nothing personal, but they are standing by their product. You got a one year warranty, and they're offering to fix it under the warranty. If you don't want to wait, they're offering to swap your used, defective phone for a used, working phone. Is there anything in the warranty or contract you signed that says you should get a brand new phone if yours acts up? Do you really think that any time a product breaks you should get a brand new one as a replacement? Try telling your car dealer that the next time you need a warranty repair.

Did you pay for it with a credit card? Some credit cards offer better warranties on products than the factory warranty, and you might be able to get a replacement that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia