Taking pictures while shooting video.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used this function? With the burst mode on this thing I just don't see the need for it. But it's a really cool feature and I'm trying to find a use for it.

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how burst mode replaces this feature. It allows you to capture images while recording a video, much better than just getting a bunch of pictures with no audio.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Lol..Did you not read the description carefully. It's not that you can use the video clip recorded to make pictures, but you can take pictures of things while you're video recording.

For example you're taking a video of a event, and you meet an old friend, or you see something you want to take a picture. You can literally just take the phone while recording a video and point it at the object and take a picture. While you're doing this the video will not stop recording which means one file instead of having to stop recording, and starting again with lost time and missing recordings.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
its an excelent feature. say youre videoing an event, take pics of stuff that would make a great still for sharing and embaresing people on fb ;)

mooseo21

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I used this feature while watching fireworks about a month ago. Recorded the entire fireworks show and got some excellent pictures that I could time perfectly as the fireworks went off.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK.. noob question.. I know about this feature but I have no clue how to take a photo while shooting a video Since the red button is the start/stop control, what do you tap to take a photo while shooting video? Thanks.

mooseo21

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Once you start recording their is a camera button right above the red record start/stop icon. Just press that while recording and it will take a picture.

Reactions: _OMEGA_

Waipio11

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Once you start recording their is a camera button right above the red record start/stop icon. Just press that while recording and it will take a picture.

My VZW S3 does notseem to have this or I cannot find it. Once I start recording all the screen buttons go away. Tapping the screen anywhere just moves the focal point. The back button just stops the recording,the home button does the same and take you to the home screen, and the menu button does nothing.
This is driving me crazy as I really want to use this feature but I either do not have it or am having a pre senior moment.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My VZW S3 does notseem to have this or I cannot find it. Once I start recording all the screen buttons go away. Tapping the screen anywhere just moves the focal point. The back button just stops the recording,the home button does the same and take you to the home screen, and the menu button does nothing.
This is driving me crazy as I really want to use this feature but I either do not have it or am having a pre senior moment.

Hi. I have the Verizon S3 as well. When I begin recording the camera button appears directly above the red record button if held horizontal and to the right if held vertical.

I hope this helps. It's definitely there on the phone. I love this feature. I used it a few times yesterday at a parade and at fireworks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you know the camera button won't appear if you're recording at the highest video resolution.

It came up in an earlier thread back in June

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Waipio11

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Just to let you know the camera button won't appear if you're recording at the highest video resolution.

BINGO! That did the trick. Have to step down twice though to 720x480 down from 1920x1080. Not sure I want to record video in less than half the available resolution though. I'll test them both out but has anyone noticed a visible difference in video quality?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Is this a limitation of the international Galaxy S3? I record at full resolution and can still take pictures at the same time.