Black spot in camera?

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed this yesterday. The main camera on my s3 has this dark spot in the center. It shows up on the screen when using the camera app and becomes a part of all pictures. I've cleaned the camera glass and inspected it closely under a magnifying glass and see no scratches or marks on the glass. Any ideas?

View attachment 36316

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Like Steve said, it could be dust or something has gotten inside your camera (behind the glass). I know it's sealed but there always are some dust particles behind screens sometimes also

Cap_172R

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Never really encountered this problem... but on the other hand, i have had lots of dust particles beneath my screen on previous device to which was supposed to be sealed. It happens.. I'd return it to the carrier or wherever it was purchased as it should be under warranty.

JSE

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It's likely dust on the actual sensor. Happens all the time with DSLR cameras. It's probably microscopic but shows up large on your photos. On DSLR cameras this can be cleaned. No way to do it on a phone. At least not easily.

I would return it. But, you might try taking the back off the phone, remove the battery and then gently blow around the back of the phone. It's a long shot but you might hit the particle and move it off the sensor. A long shot but who knows.

JBiz227

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I encountered this with my S3, but mine is in the lower left hand corner. Only shows up in photos, but not videos. I plan on getting the phone replaced since I just got it on Sunday.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
instead of blowing (and i know this sounds mad) try a hoover/vacuum cleaner.
its fixed things from an old physical phone keypad to my mates Xbox in the past lol :)

from the pic it defo looks like something physical/optical and not an obvious software thing..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you use a case? Id try blowing it to see or even as funk said vacuum could work...but Id also get a case for extra protection against dust particles

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
instead of blowing (and i know this sounds mad) try a hoover/vacuum cleaner.
its fixed things from an old physical phone keypad to my mates Xbox in the past lol :)

from the pic it defo looks like something physical/optical and not an obvious software thing..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Yeah, without doubt it is physical. Shows up in pics and vids taken with the rear camera, not the front camera. I'm sure it is dust our some particle on the sealed part of the lens. I guess I'll have to get it replaced. Think Sprint well be cool about that? I've had this s3 since June. How long is the warrentee?

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Finally took it in to Sprint. They are going to replace it. But charging me a $35 "expediting" fee. That's pretty lame!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Finally took it in to Sprint. They are going to replace it. But charging me a $35 "expediting" fee. That's pretty lame!

Very lame mate :(
Not a terrible price.
Are they replacing the unit or the cam?

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Very lame mate :(
Not a terrible price.
Are they replacing the unit or the cam?

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

They replaced the whole unit after determining they couldn't fix it. They said if I went through Samsung it would be free, but would take more time. I was there and just wanted to get it taken care of.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
They replaced the whole unit after determining they couldn't fix it. They said if I went through Samsung it would be free, but would take more time. I was there and just wanted to get it taken care of.

Least its sorted.
Thats bad news for a guy in another forum with cracked lens cover who was wondering if it could be a DIY job.... guess not if they gave you a new unit.
Hope youve got one with the "good batch" of screen glass like mine :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Least its sorted.
Thats bad news for a guy in another forum with cracked lens cover who was wondering if it could be a DIY job.... guess not if they gave you a new unit.
Hope youve got one with the "good batch" of screen glass like mine :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

What's the "good batch"?

Manny Powers

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, (right top corner). Mine shows it only while taking pictures, not when I'm video recording.
I factory reset my phone and still the same.
Geek Squad said their warranty will cover it and they'll replace my phone! ...for a refurbished, of course.

jyotirmoy biswas

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
same thing happens few days back to my galaxy S2 after using 1.5 years......just following some image software like Cymera!! It is not there when camera is in video mode. so - just software problem. now I think, it will be there, until I re-update my phone and let erase all the previous data/ software. :-\:(