10-03-2012 07:09 AM
737 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Sorry you lost me on that one. I wasn't suggesting any rooting. Just making a point that some things that are obvious simple features that are standard in lots of phones are not possible on ios. There is lots of frustration. It's not always because of the device. Some people are ignorant and don't care to learn how to use their 'smartphone' but Apple keeps trying to wave this we are perfect flag and it annoys me.

And plus JHBTHREE is such a fanboy I am trying to give real examples of the day to day benefits and negatives between Android and iOS.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    He is just trying to defend some of the hardware/ and software specs that all of the forum is putting down. The new iPhone has a lot of good but a lot of android fan boys won't recognize any of it. Personally I've had about 10-12 android phones from the d1 to the gnex to my note. And there are things I dislike about android. I've also had a iPhone 4 and there were things I preferred on the iPhone over android phones. I just hate when ppl can't see the good/bad in both companies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
    09-21-2012 03:18 AM
    Here's another example of a real world situation.

A friend of mine goes to Africa to help at an orphage and see the sights. She takes lots of photos with her SLR camera while her friends are using their iphones. I her friends also have iPads.

After a few days she wants to transfer the photos over to her Transformer tablet which has a keyboard dock and sdcard support (suggested by me). She manages to copy her files over but she can't seem to view them. Her iphone friends tell her it's because it's not an iPad so it sucks. They are managing to back up their photos from their iphones just fine. So she is frustrated and feeling like she made a bad purchase.

She gets home and says I hate this tablet it isn't an iPad. She explains the situation. I tell her that if she had an iPad she would have no way to transfer the photos over without a card reader. She of course is not a tech person and says but the iPhone people did it. I explained that they were using icloud or drop box to upload the photos but with an slr this was not possible. She then mentioned not being able to see the photos on the tablet. After exploring the disk all the files were there in glorious raw format. I guess she was pushing too many buttons and switched to raw.

Sorry long post.

The point is that technology can be difficult no matter what. Ios provided one solution for one person, yet it was not even possible to accommodate the other person. Yet the iPhone people were willing to just say android isn't an iPad so it's crap, yet they had no solution to help her. Android did what it needed to do even though she thought it wasn't. Standard tech support in my life.

Ironically my friend also had an iPhone...

09-21-2012 03:31 AM
    I am not boycut iphone, I think if I have extra money will consider buy. when at matro or public place will see a part of people use iphone. But for young people can consider other type of smartphone. as a young should have specical style.
    09-21-2012 03:43 AM
    Where it gets nasty is when you get on a plane with your shiny new iPad and realize all those files you emailed yourself so you could work on them during your 9 hour flight are unavailable after you thought you had accessed and downloaded them in the airport. True story. Maybe not quite so easy after all. Or trying to load an mkv file via itunes. Such a treat. Not.

You don't have to use iTunes. You can use a device like Kingston WiFi drive and have your files on there. There are also apps that act as file explorers and you can put files into them and view any file. So yes in fact it is quite easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    09-21-2012 06:57 AM
    Only if you consider any vague slight against anything made by Apple misinformation. Good to know that you folks in the Apple Police are hard at work here at AC.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Um, as always you have no clue what you're talking about. When someone says x can't be done on such and such product when that clearly isn't the case then that's misinformation. You really have such a hard time understanding such concepts don't you.

09-21-2012 07:00 AM
    You don't have to use iTunes. You can use a device like Kingston WiFi drive and have your files on there. There are also apps that act as file explorers and you can put files into them and view any file. So yes in fact it is quite easy.

I know there's an app for that but when you just get a device you don't know what does what. I am a techie guy and get lots of people calling me to help with their iPads mostly. I am being totally honest that every time I try to do simple copy functions it doesn't work worth crap. My Android tablet is just like a usb drive. No itunes to worry about. And for what it's worth I love itunes as a player. I use it every day.

09-21-2012 09:05 AM
    Um, as always you have no clue what you're talking about. When someone says x can't be done on such and such product when that clearly isn't the case then that's misinformation. You really have such a hard time understanding such concepts don't you.

Well obviously someone like that would never admit they were like that. :P
    09-21-2012 09:12 AM
    As this is probably a thread with folks that can do "anything" with Android I would like to do the following and haven't found a way:

1.) The voice commands to do something with email ("note to self"; "email bob jones"; etc.) seem to be hard coded to Gmail, and the initial account I set my device under. I don't use either for email so I would like to map this behavior to an account set up in Email.

2.) I have two accounts in Email, work and personal. I can find no way to forward or reply a message sent to personal from my work address (which is often important for me to do).

I really am looking for answers for these issues. Hopefully this is not a case where Android can't do something iOS can.
    I don't use voice commands very often for regular email but never have it default to Gmail. There is an option in your pop mail account to make this account the default. Not sure what version of os you are on but Google now or S voice will do better for commands. You may want to try the Speak to it assistant app.

The second thing is a bit vague in your explanation so it could be more of a server or account side setting. What type of account do you have? Pop or a Gmail, hot mail type account? Most servers allow you to setup your pop account to automatically redirect email from one account to another. But Gmail, hot mail etc. Have these in their options.

If you are just looking for a email to look like it is coming from one email address instead of the other when you reply You have to setup both accounts on your phone. Similar to outlook. You add both email accounts. One is set to default so it will show that email address first when you reply, but if you click on the address in the from section it will pop up with your other accounts that you can select to use instead.

09-21-2012 09:26 AM
    He is just trying to defend some of the hardware/ and software specs that all of the forum is putting down. The new iPhone has a lot of good but a lot of android fan boys won't recognize any of it. Personally I've had about 10-12 android phones from the d1 to the gnex to my note. And there are things I dislike about android. I've also had a iPhone 4 and there were things I preferred on the iPhone over android phones. I just hate when ppl can't see the good/bad in both companies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Gotcha and I agree.

09-21-2012 09:29 AM

I would like to see a list of things that are possible on an iphone but not on Android. Even if apps are required. Maybe even one that just compares stock vs stock.

For example I know that I can use SwiftKey and Tasker on Android but not on ios. What are some really awesome apps I can't get for Android that are on ios. I'm not trying to create a war just am interested because so many people always say the app store offers more than Google Play. But no one ever answers this. Maybe it's a thread of its own.

09-21-2012 09:35 AM
    1.) The voice commands to do something with email ("note to self"; "email bob jones"; etc.) seem to be hard coded to Gmail, and the initial account I set my device under. I don't use either for email so I would like to map this behavior to an account set up in Email.
    I don't use the built in S-Voice, I use the Assistant app you can download from the market. If I ask it to email Bob Jones it pulls up the list of email apps and I tap K-9. It then opens K-9 to a new email with the contacts email address already in the field. So, works fine here for me. It will also take notes either using Evernote or it's own built in "Notebook" memory that the Assistant app has. I just told it to take a note "Buy milk tonight" and it asked if I want to save the note in it's memory or in my Evernote account (which I don't use) so I chose it's own memory. It saved the note and I was able retrieve it.

2.) I have two accounts in Email, work and personal. I can find no way to forward or reply a message sent to personal from my work address (which is often important for me to do)
    K-9 email lets me change the sender e-mail to any account in my list. I have three email accounts and all I need to do to change which account it looks to be coming from is simply tap my email address. It then displays all my email accounts to choose from.

Using the built in apps I can't help ya there. But, create a new thread for it and maybe someone else can help out.

Rev.
    09-21-2012 09:36 AM
    I would like to see a list of things that are possible on an iphone but not on Android. Even if apps are required. Maybe even one that just compares stock vs stock.

For example I know that I can use SwiftKey and Tasker on Android but not on ios. What are some really awesome apps I can't get for Android that are on ios. I'm not trying to create a war just am interested because so many people always say the app store offers more than Google Play. But no one ever answers this. Maybe it's a thread of its own.

Cause if they did the number of apps they would post could easily be counted on half a hand (arguably, I mean when it comes to apps it always comes back to personal preference.) Why do you think the iPhone users were so pissed when Instagram made their app available to Android phones? They lost one more point for why the App Store was better.

All I can think of that they have and we don't (that might actually be worth having) are the Infinity Blade games. And even those are hardly worth switching over for, or bragging about.
    09-21-2012 09:40 AM

I never made that claim. They are essentially the same for me. That's why I had no problem switching from iPhone 4s to the galaxy s3.

What I mentioned is what you cold do when someone said you couldn't. Like PDF files or other music and video files.

You quoted me but put words into my mouth.

09-21-2012 10:11 AM
    I know there's an app for that but when you just get a device you don't know what does what. I am a techie guy and get lots of people calling me to help with their iPads mostly. I am being totally honest that every time I try to do simple copy functions it doesn't work worth crap. My Android tablet is just like a usb drive. No itunes to worry about. And for what it's worth I love itunes as a player. I use it every day.

I said no iTunes to worry about. Sheesh.

09-21-2012 10:13 AM
    What I mentioned is what you cold do when someone said you couldn't. Like PDF files or other music and video files.
    OK then, please explain to me the process for adding a shortcut to a .Doc file, a PDF, a movie, and a picture onto the iPhone homescreen. This way I will know for the future how this is done on the iPhone.

Rev.
    09-21-2012 10:18 AM
    Are you referring to "Speak To It"?
    Yep, that's the one.

BTW, if it keeps going to the gmail app have you tried going into the Application Manager and into Gmail and clearing the defaults?

Rev.
    09-21-2012 10:25 AM
    Have to admit it owned the s3 in drop tests I was pretty impressed.

The amazing galaxy s3
    09-21-2012 10:31 AM
    Have to admit it owned the s3 in drop tests I was pretty impressed.

The amazing galaxy s3
    Those can be staged though. Besides many people buy cases and screen protectors for their phones immediately after getting them so I find drop tests to be an outdated way to compare phones.
    09-21-2012 10:42 AM
    No defaults are set and button is disabled.
    So strange, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. On my unit when I say "email Bianca Sasha (my cousins name)" it opens the app list for which email I want and then I tap K-9 and it opens to a new message with her email address filled in. Maybe if you install K-9 it might then pop up the app options to choose a different email?

Rev.
    09-21-2012 10:55 AM
    The reason for that is Apple makes everything for the iPhones. They will work on their apps until they can make them work right whereas on Android there are thousands of developers out there making apps and games. I don't get force closes on my Droid and I have my phone customized to the way I like it. I also have way more apps on my phone than anybody I know. But it stills works the way I like it too, quick and responsive. I am not anti apple but I do love Android.
    Sent from myVerizon DROID BIONIC Android 2.3.4 using Android Central Forums.
    09-21-2012 11:15 AM
    Thank u bro lol i wanted a bigger screen but didn't wanna lose Wimax until lte is fully functional in Chicago so i bought my epic and ill say the extra .5 inches this is over my ns4g is really noticeable idk if i could handle the old note but would get one anyway just off bragging rights lol

Sent from my white Epic 4g Touch
    In case it wasn't clear, I was trying to reply to JBHthree, but accidentally replied to your quote of JBHthree, lol.

09-21-2012 12:10 PM

Here sir, I am going to paraphrase a previous comment made by your good self. It should just work. You shouldn't have to problem solve and install workarounds to make that happen.

09-21-2012 12:15 PM
    Here sir, I am going to paraphrase a previous comment made by your good self. It should just work. You shouldn't have to problem solve and install workarounds to make that happen.

Ahh yes. As you always do. Never looking at all the information.

So that we are clear, that thread was about rooting, while I in this thread was talking about apps. Rooting is much more difficult and could be detrimental to the function of your phone. Where as installing an app is not. If you can't see the difference, well then you should just stop trying.

I know its difficult for you to try and quote correctly and honestly, but really cmon, try harder.

09-21-2012 01:04 PM
    Monkeyluis.... Please respond to my last post to let me know how to add an iPhone home screen shortcut for each of the file types I'd mentioned.

Rev.
    09-21-2012 01:19 PM
    Ahh yes. As you always do. Never looking at all the information.

I know its difficult for you to try and quote correctly and honestly, but really cmon, try harder.

I feel like you should be telling this to yourself more than anyone else. Though, now your posts are starting to be just you waving off everything people say, and making condescending remarks.

Example, your last post I read was you quoting someone defending themselves and you merely sawing "Aww" like you're somehow above him. You've pretty much lost all credibility.
    09-21-2012 01:22 PM
737 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD