10-03-2012 08:09 AM
737 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    This is another thing that I will agree with JHB on.....the iPod Nano, Nokia post was clever....lol.

I have no problem giving Apple props, credit .........where its due. I just dont get the high pedestal it gets put on.
    Marketing. Seeing a lot of the crazies on the news talking about how much they love apple and blah blah blah is obnoxious. It's just technology people!
    jroc likes this.
    09-22-2012 07:21 PM
    Because apple doesn't care about releasing their Specs. It is not relevant for them.

You should read anandtechs analysis of the chip. It breaks down why it is better than most everything out there, and how it does it.
    That's why we get terms like Retina display, iSight camera..

That's also why we get terms like i3, i5, and i7. Snapdragon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    jroc likes this.
    09-22-2012 07:32 PM
    I figured how to do shortcuts to .pdf's to my home screen for my RAZR. Some file managers have the Create Shortcut option. Good thing this came up in this thread. I dont know how I never knew this or looked for this before today. My daily commute just became a lil easier.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    09-22-2012 08:00 PM
    Glad this thread turned up something useful. How is this done? I have been trying to do this for months. Anycut app? I havent looked into it more to see.

And about the iPhone 5 benchmarks......its not just the cpu that gets it those scores. Apple may have optimized the memory on the phone or be using the latest memory specs. Good job iPhone 5 on the benchmarks tho. I stopped being a benchmark fiend when the GS1 and Droid X1 came out. The GS1 had the better specs...but the Droid X1 had the better benchmarks out the box. Samsung handicapped the GS1 performance with the file system. So I do agree somewhat thats specs aren't everything. WP, the iPhone and the GS1 proves that specs arent everything. I just dont agree that specs dont matter as a whole.

Thats another reason why I dropped out of the specs debate in that other iPhone 5 thread....lol. That and Ry made a good point about Windows OS requirements.
    Ya its still pretty impressive beating out the quad core cpu's and also with the battery life claims if those are true then this is one hell of a chip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    09-22-2012 08:35 PM
    Because apple doesn't care about releasing their Specs. It is not relevant for them.

You should read anandtechs analysis of the chip. It breaks down why it is better than most everything out there, and how it does it.
    They've always released the CPU specs by launch before. And it's also the only architecture spec they didn't release. And Besides, what you're saying is nuts. It's not relevant for a hardware company to give the specs of the hardware they sell? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If any other smartphone maker said "we're not going to tell you what's in it. Just trust us." it would be headline news. If their chip was better than the Android flagships you can be damn sure they would have been shouting it from the hills. They didn't feel like telling everyone that their A6 was a 1.2 ghz dual core, because it flat out sounded bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the market at all.

And anandtech's article is conjecture at best. Looking at their zoomed in photos of the architecture and reading their wild guesswork at it's workings just about made me laugh. Using that as evidence really doesn't help your point.

Oh and by the way, the iPhone 5 only beat the tegra 3 when it was running ICS, by a mere 40 points. With jellybean, the tegra won by 181 points. First of all, that tells us that software has a great effect on benchmarks, which is probably the reason the A6, a 1.2 GHz dual core, performed so well. Second, it tells us that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5, which means Android wins the battle of the benchmarks. Third, it tells us how greatly the iPhone 5 will be outclassed when devices with the S4 pro hits the market next month. Let's just imagine how much it's going to be lagging behind by the beginning of next year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-22-2012 10:10 PM
    Ya its still pretty impressive beating out the quad core cpu's and also with the battery life claims if those are true then this is one hell of a chip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Battery life is a tricky subject..... The talk times Apple posted at the key note are low or even vs some recent and older Android phones with dual core chips. LTE web browsing is interesting.....cuz honestly the iPhone 5 comes up short or even vs some of these other phones everywhere except LTE web browsing. I think the only phone out the box that will match or beat the iPhone 5 in that is the Maxx HD. I didnt post any Stand By times, but some I seen recently last longer than the iPhone 5. And I never really see battery life for music and video playback on phones. I mostly see that for tablets. Or some sites just dont focus on media playback on phones.

AnandTech - The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

AnandTech - Bench - Smartphone11

Anandtech's battery tests for the iPhone 5 will be interesting. Does Apple ever post the mAh size of their batteries in the iPhone? Its also funny how things can get misunderstood. I seen a post somewhere where the person said the iPhone 5 would be the first LTE phone that could last all day. The GS3 last between 6-7 hours for LTE web browsing...according to some tests. But an LTE phone lasting all day.....overall........goes to the Maxx with that monster battery in it.

I also find it odd that LTE and 3G web browsing times are identical in that pic for the iPhone 5. I would assume 3G would last longer. It does for Android phones.
    09-22-2012 10:36 PM
    And you know this how?

As a developer, I can tell you they have hundreds, if not thousands of engineers on board. There are hundreds at WWDC alone.
    I know they've been doing some headhunting. I work around a bunch of buildings with a "Q" on them. Senior engineers have been moving away from San Diego to Cupertino.

09-22-2012 11:55 PM
    suppose it depends on if they downloaded an identical file and that the 3g and 4g signal strength were both very strong mate?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    09-22-2012 11:55 PM
    They've always released the CPU specs by launch before. And it's also the only architecture spec they didn't release. And Besides, what you're saying is nuts. It's not relevant for a hardware company to give the specs of the hardware they sell? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If any other smartphone maker said "we're not going to tell you what's in it. Just trust us." it would be headline news. If their chip was better than the Android flagships you can be damn sure they would have been shouting it from the hills. They didn't feel like telling everyone that their A6 was a 1.2 ghz dual core, because it flat out sounded bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the market at all.

And anandtech's article is conjecture at best. Looking at their zoomed in photos of the architecture and reading their wild guesswork at it's workings just about made me laugh. Using that as evidence really doesn't help your point.

Oh and by the way, the iPhone 5 only beat the tegra 3 when it was running ICS, by a mere 40 points. With jellybean, the tegra won by 181 points. First of all, that tells us that software has a great effect on benchmarks, which is probably the reason the A6, a 1.2 GHz dual core, performed so well. Second, it tells us that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5, which means Android wins the battle of the benchmarks. Third, it tells us how greatly the iPhone 5 will be outclassed when devices with the S4 pro hits the market next month. Let's just imagine how much it's going to be lagging behind by the beginning of next year.

IIRC, Apple hasn't posted the clock speed of any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch during keynotes. We usually get those later when people run tests on them. I could be wrong though.

09-22-2012 11:57 PM
    Battery life is a tricky subject..... The talk times Apple posted at the key note are low or even vs some recent and older Android phones with dual core chips. LTE web browsing is interesting.....cuz honestly the iPhone 5 comes up short or even vs some of these other phones everywhere except LTE web browsing. I think the only phone out the box that will match or beat the iPhone 5 in that is the Maxx HD. I didnt post any Stand By times, but some I seen recently last longer than the iPhone 5. And I never really see battery life for music and video playback on phones. I mostly see that for tablets. Or some sites just dont focus on media playback on phones.

AnandTech - The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

AnandTech - Bench - Smartphone11

Anandtech's battery tests for the iPhone 5 will be interesting. Does Apple ever post the mAh size of their batteries in the iPhone? Its also funny how things can get misunderstood. I seen a post somewhere where the person said the iPhone 5 would be the first LTE phone that could last all day. The GS3 last between 6-7 hours for LTE web browsing...according to some tests. But an LTE phone lasting all day.....overall........goes to the Maxx with that monster battery in it.

I also find it odd that LTE and 3G web browsing times are identical in that pic for the iPhone 5. I would assume 3G would last longer. It does for Android phones.
    I'm pretty sure the iFixIt tear down revealed a 14XX mAh battery in the new 5. I'll have to double check.

And in Engadget's battery run down test, I think the DROID RAZR MAXX only beat it by 10 minutes.

We'll see how it actually compares in real world use.

jroc likes this.
    09-23-2012 12:00 AM
    No, they haven't. Apple has never released any specs for their CPUs/ram. They've only identified vague benchmarks, like twice as fast, etc. The only reason we've ever known the clock speeds, ram amount, etc, is because sites like anandtech analyze the parts being used and run benchmarks.

You CAN'T be serious, can you? They matched up a part number on the CPU to a part number for Samsung, which is exactly what you have to do when the manufacturer refuses to give any information. Then they analyzed benchmarks, as well as the presence of an advanced instruction set that hasn't really been seen before. Their 'guesswork' is more accurate than anything you can find. If you disagree, then why don't you do some detective work and prove them wrong.

It's faster than the S4 by a wide margin, so what on earth makes you think it will 'lag behind'? (And don't try to rationalize being a fanboy in your answer)
    jroc likes this.
    09-23-2012 12:04 AM
    And you know this how?

As a developer, I can tell you they have hundreds, if not thousands of engineers on board. There are hundreds at WWDC alone.
    So? They spend less on r & d than pretty much everybody.

http://gigaom.com/apple/how-apple-ge...r-rd-spending/
    09-23-2012 12:08 AM
    No, they haven't. Apple has never released any specs for their CPUs/ram. They've only identified vague benchmarks, like twice as fast, etc. The only reason we've ever known the clock speeds, ram amount, etc, is because sites like anandtech analyze the parts being used and run benchmarks.

You CAN'T be serious, can you? They matched up a part number on the CPU to a part number for Samsung, which is exactly what you have to do when the manufacturer refuses to give any information. Then they analyzed benchmarks, as well as the presence of an advanced instruction set that hasn't really been seen before. Their 'guesswork' is more accurate than anything you can find. If you disagree, then why don't you do some detective work and prove them wrong.

It's faster than the S4 by a wide margin, so what on earth makes you think it will 'lag behind' besides the fact that you're a raging fanboy?
    I thought the S4 was faster than the tegra. Either way, the tegra is faster when it's tegra with jellybean vs A6 with ios6.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    09-23-2012 01:46 AM

That's all good and I live and breathe android but it really doesn't matter if the user experience doesn't change with the increased horsepower.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    09-23-2012 03:49 AM
    I thought the S4 was faster than the tegra. Either way, the tegra is faster when it's tegra with jellybean vs A6 with ios6.

The A6, like the S4, will be faster than the tegra 3 the majority of the time. They are also significantly more efficient. The only good a quad core does is when the phone is doing heavy duty processing, which most people will never do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    09-23-2012 03:49 AM
    I'm pretty sure the iFixIt tear down revealed a 14XX mAh battery in the new 5. I'll have to double check.

And in Engadget's battery run down test, I think the DROID RAZR MAXX only beat it by 10 minutes.

We'll see how it actually compares in real world use.

If so.... 1400+ mAh battery is impressive to get those numbers. I always try to look at the battery sizes too. And I hate bringing up the Maxx since the battery is so big. Its a stock battery tho....oh well. But compared to the battery in the Maxx....that would be damn impressive if its 1400+. But if it is....why not just put in an even bigger battery? The RAZR is so thin with a bigger battery than that. If the Maxx and iPhone 5 are similar in size....Apple coulda did that and absolutely killed for battery life.

And gotta agree with JHB again about Anandtech. I dont always agree with whats posted there....but majority of the time I do. Its funny cuz Anandtech has been accused of favoring Qualcomm. I dont see that, and they were one of the few sites that went into extreme detail about the iPhone 4 antenna issue and why it was a real issue.

Yea...just checked one site...the Maxx is a lil bit bigger than the iPhone 5. I woulda put in a bigger battery if I were Apple. That test were it lasted 10 minutes under the Maxx was for video playback with LTE, Wifi and social accounts updating. Very impressive ....but thats only part of the story. I want to know how it is for LTE and Wifi separately. And I always try to look at it overall....and talk times is what I'm interested in. But still....impressive for a phone with a 1400 mAh battery. Like I said before...I will give Apple credit....where its due....lol. I think the battery size is something Apple should promote more. That is damn impressive for a 1400 battery. A battery that size in most HTC phones would suck for battery life.
    09-23-2012 08:21 AM
    If so.... 1400+ mAh battery is impressive to get those numbers. I always try to look at the battery sizes too. And I hate bringing up the Maxx since the battery is so big. Its a stock battery tho....oh well. But compared to the battery in the Maxx....that would be damn impressive if its 1400+. But if it is....why not just put in an even bigger battery? The RAZR is so thin with a bigger battery than that. If the Maxx and iPhone 5 are similar in size....Apple coulda did that and absolutely killed for battery life.

And gotta agree with JHB again about Anandtech. I dont always agree with whats posted there....but majority of the time I do. Its funny cuz Anandtech has been accused of favoring Qualcomm. I dont see that, and they were one of the few sites that went into extreme detail about the iPhone 4 antenna issue and why it was a real issue.

Yea...just checked one site...the Maxx is a lil bit bigger than the iPhone 5. I woulda put in a bigger battery if I were Apple. That test were it lasted 10 minutes under the Maxx was for video playback with LTE, Wifi and social accounts updating. Very impressive ....but thats only part of the story. I want to know how it is for LTE and Wifi separately. And I always try to look at it overall....and talk times is what I'm interested in. But still....impressive for a phone with a 1400 mAh battery. Like I said before...I will give Apple credit....where its due....lol. I think the battery size is something Apple should promote more. That is damn impressive for a 1400 battery. A battery that size in most HTC phones would suck for battery life.
    Apple will try to eek out as much from a smaller battery with OS optimizations so that when they finally decide to put a bigger battery in there they'll sing to the high heavens how long it lasts.

Apple will always have an advantage over battery life since they control all aspects of the hardware and OS. Andorid is at a disadvantage since it had to run on hundreds of different hardware configurations. At some point though, battery technology will advance to a point where it won't matter anymore in any practical sense. Phones will last days regardless of the OS you use.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-23-2012 11:10 AM
    The S4 is plenty fast, and honestly Apple copied Qualcomm this time around. They took a license for the same instruction set and optimized the architecture for their software. How is that not exactly what Qualcomm does?

Benchmarks aren't really useful from one platform to the next, but if I had to I would take the offloaded standard resolution test anandtech does as being the most equal. But that's still just gaming.

jroc likes this.
    09-23-2012 12:11 PM
    Glad this thread turned up something useful. How is this done? I have been trying to do this for months. Anycut app? I havent looked into it more to see.
    Yeah, JHBThree said I was spreading false information saying the iPhone couldn't do it but after asking him how it's done he's completely ignored answering my post. So, I'm guessing it can't be done on the iPhone.

Rev.
    09-23-2012 01:09 PM
    I'm my experience, JHBTHREE is a little too emotional when it comes to Apple. Like a crazy person almost.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx
    09-23-2012 01:27 PM
    Let's keep the personal stuff to a minimum, eh? Doesn't help, add to, or support the discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    09-23-2012 01:33 PM
    I love the way many people make owning, or choosing a smartphone out to be a life altering decision. Live life to the fullest, and enjoy what makes YOU happy, and let others enjoy what makes them happy. Nothing to educate anyone on here, because both phones are solid. The Android platform, as well as the Galaxy SIII are both public knowledge, and people pick, and choose as they see fit the smartphone that fits their needs best.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-23-2012 01:46 PM
    The S4 is plenty fast, and honestly Apple copied Qualcomm this time around. They took a license for the same instruction set and optimized the architecture for their software. How is that not exactly what Qualcomm does?

Benchmarks aren't really useful from one platform to the next, but if I had to I would take the offloaded standard resolution test anandtech does as being the most equal. But that's still just gaming.

So the iPhone basically went from using a Hummingbird/A chip to a Snapdragon/A chip.....
    09-23-2012 01:47 PM
    So from the information I'm reading, Apple must be making a huge a profit on this device. A cut down, basic , optimized OS running on a 1.2 GHz dual core, with a 1400Mah battery. Lol. I can just see the Apple board meeting. "What are the lowest we can possibly make the specs, without it being slow?"

To JBHthree, I'd also point out that from a little research, the Tegra looks like it will still be more powerful for gaming than the A6. I still find it funny that a nearly year old CPU with the latest Android software beats the brand new Apple CPU with the latest Apple software in overall benchmarks, which measure general performance as well. That does not bode well for Apple.

xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
    09-23-2012 02:41 PM
    So from the information I'm reading, Apple must be making a huge a profit on this device. A cut down, basic , optimized OS running on a 1.2 GHz dual core, with a 1400Mah battery. Lol. I can just see the Apple board netting. "What are the lowest we can possibly make the specs, without it being slow?"

To JBHthree, I'd also point out that from a little research, the Tegra looks like it will still be more powerful for gaming than the A6. I still find it funny that a nearly year old CPU with the latest Android software beats the brand new Apple CPU with the latest Apple software in overall benchmarks, which measure general performance as well. That does not bode well for Apple.

And yet anandtech disagrees. (and that's completely ignoring the software part of the equation, which totally undermines every point you've made thus far)

You can also stop with the 'its dual core so it's inferiror' line. Apple designed a custom chip that is certainly going to be more expensive than previous versions, and is comparable with all of the high end silicone out there, quad cores included.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    09-23-2012 02:50 PM
737 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD