10-03-2012 07:09 AM
737 ... 27282930
tools
    What are some alternative voice assistants? S-voice is pretty crappy. Tried to use it yesterday to find city hall that I had to go to in my town, took forever and didn't find it anyway. I just put Vlingo on as I've heard it's pretty good.
    09-27-2012 10:36 AM
    What are some alternative voice assistants? S-voice is pretty crappy. Tried to use it yesterday to find city hall that I had to go to in my town, took forever and didn't find it anyway. I just put Vlingo on as I've heard it's pretty good.
    Google voice is the best from what I've read and heard. You can always try that. I will try it myself once I get around to it, eventually, lol!
    monkeyluis likes this.
    09-27-2012 11:35 AM
    I think most truly useful voice commands are really only good when you are by yourself. Talking to your phone in public makes you look like a book.

I use it primarily for the following commands and rarely have a need to have it schedule appointments etc.

1. Making calls to specific contacts via bluetooth in my car. Ie: Call John Smith on mobile.

2. Getting directions using the popular Google maps. Some of you may have tried it. Lol. Ie: navigate to (store or restaurant or address). I find this particularly useful when trying to get to a restaurant I have not been to but know the general area. I just ask for directions when I get close.

3. Direct calls to companies or retailers not in my contacts. This again is incredibly accurate and fast on Android. I would like to hear from iOS6 users if this type of thing is now available with Siri. Can you ask her to call the Best Western hotel and will it search and find the closest location to you then dial the number?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Yes to your #3 but it has an extra step. For example, you say "Siri where's the nearest Best Buy?" She gives you some locations which are arranged by distance. She then asks if you would like to call, navigate to, or cancel request. You tell her which location to call. There may be another way. I'll try later v
    monkeyluis likes this.
    09-27-2012 11:40 AM
    Google voice is the best from what I've read and heard. You can always try that. I will try it myself once I get around to it, eventually, lol!
    Just checked but that's not a virtual assistant. Thanks though.
    09-27-2012 11:47 AM
    Yes to your #3 but it has an extra step. For example, you say "Siri where's the nearest Best Buy?" She gives you some locations which are arranged by distance. She then asks if you would like to call, navigate to, or cancel request. You tell her which location to call. There may be another way. I'll try later v
    You are correct.
    09-27-2012 11:48 AM
    For example, you say "Siri where's the nearest Best Buy?"
    Why does every Siri user feel the need to say "Siri" with every voice request? LOL.

Rev.
    09-27-2012 12:07 PM
    Why does every Siri user feel the need to say "Siri" with every voice request? LOL.

Rev.
    You don't have too, lol. But it's kind of like S Voice, it says to say hi galaxy. But in both I believe you can turn that of.
    09-27-2012 12:10 PM
    You don't have too, lol. But it's kind of like S Voice, it says to say hi galaxy. But in both I believe you can turn that of.
    I know, I was just being silly and pointing out the redundancy of it

Rev.
    monkeyluis likes this.
    09-27-2012 01:08 PM
    Well it's the only semi-original thing Apple has done since they released the first iPhone.
    Actually Apple bought Siri from another company. Steve Wozniak actually said Siri was better before Apple got its hands on it.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-27-2012 01:41 PM
    Yes she can read out SMS but not emails.
    cool. how about adding 3rd-party voice packs though? i have a girl with a nice cute Welsh accent

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    monkeyluis likes this.
    09-27-2012 02:16 PM
    Actually Apple bought Siri from another company. Steve Wozniak actually said Siri was better before Apple got its hands on it.
    The more I hear this guy the more he seems like a disgruntled employee. I would take this with a grain of salt. Siri was in the App Store before Apple bought them.
    09-27-2012 02:32 PM
    cool. how about adding 3rd-party voice packs though? i have a girl with a nice cute Welsh accent

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    If you jailbreak, you can do that but it's not easy.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-27-2012 02:34 PM
    Just checked but that's not a virtual assistant. Thanks though.
    Oops, sorry bout that! I was under the impression that it was a virtual assistant. I thought I had read either here or somewhere else that Google had an answer to Apple's Siri and that it worked much better, currently, as well. I'll have to go digging again.
    09-27-2012 02:39 PM
    Oops, sorry bout that! I was under the impression that it was a virtual assistant. I thought I had read either here or somewhere else that Google had an answer to Apple's Siri and that it worked much better, currently, as well. I'll have to go digging again.
    I thought so too, but can't find anything. Maybe google now? I don't know.
    09-27-2012 02:50 PM
    The more I hear this guy the more he seems like a disgruntled employee.
    Disgruntled "employee"??? You realize he co-founded Apple right? Excuse you, but his opinions on Apple have more bearing than anyone else other than the late Steve Jobs.

Rev.
    09-27-2012 03:09 PM
    Ok, so that's another thing Apple took from someone else. And made worse. Way to keep up the trend Apple. :P
    09-27-2012 03:18 PM
    Ok, so that's another thing Apple took from someone else. And made worse. Way to keep up the trend Apple. :P
    I liked Siri, better than s voice.
    09-27-2012 03:28 PM
    I liked Siri, better than s voice.
    There are probably tons of people who will say otherwise but that's just personal preference. Like I said, I don't care about voice commands.
    09-27-2012 03:41 PM
    Disgruntled "employee"??? You realize he co-founded Apple right? Excuse you, but his opinions on Apple have more bearing than anyone else other than the late Steve Jobs.

Rev.
    I know he co-founded Apple. That's proves my point about him being disgruntled. Who would recognize him? No one. When people think of Apple, they think Steve Jobs. And now they think Tim Cook. Sounds like Kobe when Shaq got all the spotlight.
    09-27-2012 03:51 PM
    Sorry, but S voice is NOWHERE near Siri. Google voice is but not S voice. Out of 2 weeks I owned the SG3, S voice got one thing right.
    09-27-2012 03:53 PM
    I know he co-founded Apple. That's proves my point about him being disgruntled. Who would recognize him? No one.
    If I saw him in the street I would recognize him, and so would thousands of Apple fans, IT savvy people, etc. Same goes for Job's (though I couldn't see him in person any more ). I'd also recognize Gates, but I wouldn't recognize any of Googles founders or top men at the moment. Tim Cook... if he was standing right next to me on the train I wouldn't recognize him.

What does recognizing somehow have to do with their honest valid opinions? Wozniak can say ANYTHING he wants about Apple until the day he dies. It sure may not be anywhere near the same company as when he was with them, but it's his and Jobs' baby so have some understanding.

*EDIT - and for the record, while S-Voice is decent it's not as good as Siri, it simply isn't. But, I use the Speak to It Assist app and I personally find it better than Siri - at least on iOS 5.1, haven't tried it on iOS 6 yet.

Rev.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-27-2012 04:06 PM
    I thought so too, but can't find anything. Maybe google now? I don't know.
    theres Vlingo and a few others i tried but with my scots accent they were all useless. if you search vlingo then look at "people who installed this also viewed" youll find a few more. Skyvi was another one...

09-27-2012 04:20 PM
    theres Vlingo and a few others i tried for a laugh but with my scots accent they were all useless. if you search vlingo then look at "people who installed this also viewed" youll find a few more. Skyvi was another one...
    ..oh yeah "Speak To It" as Rev said
    i use "Speak It" simply to read my texts to me and it works fine

09-27-2012 04:24 PM
    ^^^

oops i pressed quote instead of edit lol

09-27-2012 04:26 PM
    theres Vlingo and a few others i tried but with my scots accent they were all useless. if you search vlingo then look at "people who installed this also viewed" youll find a few more. Skyvi was another one...

Funky, why not try imitating an American or English accent? If actors can do it so well you can probably get away using voice recognition that way lol.

Rev.
    funkylogik and evq.003 like this.
    09-27-2012 05:13 PM
737 ... 27282930
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD