Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12

That's to be expected really. Every new release is going to include even more code to process. This is one of the reasons I don't go with every single upgrade once the device starts getting old. I look at the list of bug fixes and new features, if there are some things that are a must have (like when Apple released copy/paste) then I go with it. If not then I avoid it. I actually mainly look at bug fixes if I'd been dealing with a specific bug that's been driving me nuts.

When I was using my Droid 2 I did the Gingerbread update and there were several things I'd hated about it so I flashed back to the last Froyo version and there it stayed.

Rev.

Yes but it really is a limitation imposed by original manufacturing hardware. I had the original Motorola Droid (still do, actually) and I used ICS on it without a flaw. The only difference was that I had the processor overclocked to 1.2 GHz, literally double the original frequency. The small amount of RAM was annoying though, but was circumvented by limiting active apps consciously. iphones use the minimal hardware possible to make them cheapest for apple to make and I think (not sure just a wild guess, no citations for this so I will ignore any sarcastic rebuttals) to probably make customers buy new ones with each OS update / generation. A lot of android devices have hardware especially now to accommodate OS for many updates to come.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope Apple dies a slow and painful death. Scratch that. I hope the IPHONE dies a slow and painful death. May Apple succeed in everything else though :p

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

We have seen the prototypes and the hypes and all that jazz but it won't even come close to the S3. As an anti-apple user, except for my ipod nano, I want to laugh out loud when I read what the iphone 5 has to offer when everyone is gonna look and say "I am gonna get an S3 instead"

I don't use an iPhone either, but i'll take one dollar for every person who buys an iPhone5, and doesn't get an S3. You can have the rest.:p

jcondon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

And I think for Apple to be successful this time around, they would have to completely release a product that would surprise everyone. This means nothing even close to the leaked specs that we have all heard of. Something like a 4.5" or higher screen with quad core processor and new features that would get other manufacturers jealous they didn't think of it. Highly possible or highly unlikely?!?! We shall see. I'm not concerned either. :cool:

I doubt the new iPhone will be 4.5" or quad core. And I don't doubt it will be sold out in hours and will recapture the claim to best selling phone.

Not everyone cares about specs and stuff like that.

Back in the day people cared about computer specs. Outside of geeks and gamers (one and the same you could say) no one cares now. Most computers will do the job fine for most people. The CPU, memory, bus, etc are fast enough even on a $500 laptop.

Phones are quickly heading that way too. For 90% of people a dual core 1.5Ghz phone with 1GB of ram and a screen size they like will work well for them.

Most people don't care that some other phone has a 1.6GHZ quad core with 2GB ram.

Reactions: Ry

dafoot2

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site

Word on the web is Samsung is gonna sue if Iphone5 has lte...any ideas when that would happen...could that delay the iPhone's big debut?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Better check again, I think the new Nokia Phones just pooped in Apple's cereal regarding best camera. Hopefully Apple will improve theirs on principle due to the fact that they are releasing a new phone and form factor.

There's a difference between "one of the best" and "the best".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That's fine that you think that way. On paper, any modern Android phone matches or beats the hardware specs of the current iPhone 4S.

But the iPhone doesn't need a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor and 2GB of RAM to operate smoothly.

Last I checked, the iPhone 4S still has one of the best cameras available on a smartphone.

To Apple, the specs don't really matter. And if the experience is good, it really shouldn't matter.

Um what about the xperia ions 13mp camera... huh

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
CPU speeds and memory.... a lot of you argue that it's not really needed on iOS since it's light and functional. My coworker with a 3GS would disagree. When he upgraded to iOS 4 he complained constantly how it slowed his phone to a crawl. He eventually upgraded to the iPhone 4.

But regardless, I had an iPhone 3G that worked fine over almost two years. I also had a single core Droid 2 that also worked perfectly fine over nearly two years. However, I don't play games on my phone, nothing outside of simple stuff like UnBlock Me, Reversi, or Roulette for example. Personally I don't think a *touchscreen* phone is well suited for more advanced high action gaming. But for all the other dozens of things I use my phone for I've never needed dual/quad core high memory blazing awesomeness on either platform.

Rev.

That's because ios4 was never optimized to run the 3gs, that's apples stupid mistake for ever releasing it for that device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry, I know you're a smart guy. I read your posts but....your admiration....of all things Apple have you blindly following them. Don't be that guy who likes a product just because of the brand!

I'm not going to blindly follow Android OEMs.

I understand that there are different needs.

In the end, the bottom line is that people like to argue on here about corporations whose number one goal is to take your money and/or your information.

The reasons that some people here give for hating one corporation and loving that corporation's competition is downright laughable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Um what about the xperia ions 13mp camera... huh

Seriously?

Again:

There's a difference between "one of the best" and "the best".

Sidenote: Last I heard, Sony supplies the camera for the iPhone 4S (and Galaxy S III).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate to hate, but current Sony phones have 12 megapixel cameras, i know its not all about the megapixels but they take incredibly detailed photos and android doesn't need a dual core 1.5 ghz cpu and 2 gigs of ram to run smoothly, i think some legacy software (2.3) and bad hardware combos from the past couple years has put a bad taste in a lot of apple fans mouths. This is the time to hop on our train. Even if your not into an android phone, pick up a nexus 7.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock.

That's more a product of the optimizations that Jelly Bean brought.

I'm on the Android train, but not blindly.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Word on the web is Samsung is gonna sue if Iphone5 has lte...any ideas when that would happen...could that delay the iPhone's big debut?

LTE are mostly a FRAND patents... does anyone even know if Apple is simply paying for the licensing or are trying to play a "suck it" attitude 100% for sure? Somehow I have a hunch Apple is just going to pay the licensing fee.... it would be far cheaper and wiser in that regard.

Rev.

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand the Apple bashing. After having used both iPhone and Android, I can see why the non-technical person might go for Apple. The average person only cares about some web surfing, text messaging, emails and pictures. All of those are easy enough to do with iPhone and it's difficult to get "lost" in the interface. The more technically inclined people who love to customize and don't want to be boxed in with apple's limitations might like android better. That's fine. I don't think the average iPhone user will care if their processor or ram specs aren't as good as the latest android phone.

I agree.

I'm a technical person; I am a programmer and database administrator. I like my android phone because I get to tinker with it....

however, i love my apple products because they all just work together.

I may spend hours tinkering on my android phone, but that's beside the point. When it comes down to it, I want a phone/smart device that does exactly what I expect it to do.

to name a few:
i expect my devices to stream wirelessly audio/video to my HTPC without hassle, I expect my music and photos to be available at my finger tips, and I expect easy communication between all of my devices to make that happen.

Yes, android can do all of those things - but when you have a mix of products, it doesn't work too well. Not only do I need to have google music constantly keep tabs on my itunes music collection, but trying to sync my photos with all of my devices and then ultimately have them show up in my photo editing software is a nightmare. Yes, there is dropbox, and I use it. But photostream dumps iphone photos directly into aperture for me; there is nothing that I have to worry about with it.

Same with air stream, it works with my raspberry pi and my nexus 7 and my phone, but I have to do a lot of work to make that happen. It's OK because I like tinkering, but saying "you can download x app and do xyz things to make something happen" is not a solution; integration is.

Long and short of my little write up here, my point is that I want to spend time working on projects that can further improve my life, not trying to play catchup and managing something that should "just work"

Reactions: tmartin1223

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

arguing over who makes the best phone is like arguing over who has the least number of important things to do with their time.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I agree.

I'm a technical person; I am a programmer and database administrator. I like my android phone because I get to tinker with it....

however, i love my apple products because they all just work together.

I may spend hours tinkering on my android phone, but that's beside the point. When it comes down to it, I want a phone/smart device that does exactly what I expect it to do.

to name a few:
i expect my devices to stream wirelessly audio/video to my HTPC without hassle, I expect my music and photos to be available at my finger tips, and I expect easy communication between all of my devices to make that happen.

Yes, android can do all of those things - but when you have a mix of products, it doesn't work too well. Not only do I need to have google music constantly keep tabs on my itunes music collection, but trying to sync my photos with all of my devices and then ultimately have them show up in my photo editing software is a nightmare. Yes, there is dropbox, and I use it. But photostream dumps iphone photos directly into aperture for me; there is nothing that I have to worry about with it.

Same with air stream, it works with my raspberry pi and my nexus 7 and my phone, but I have to do a lot of work to make that happen. It's OK because I like tinkering, but saying "you can download x app and do xyz things to make something happen" is not a solution; integration is.

Long and short of my little write up here, my point is that I want to spend time working on projects that can further improve my life, not trying to play catchup and managing something that should "just work"

And that is why the iPhone and the whole Apple ecosystem are so popular. The non-technical person can do what THEY want to do without going through a ton of steps. As much as I enjoy my GS3, I miss my iPhone for the simplicity of being able to stream music to my indoor and outdoor stereos with 2 clicks. So now I just grab my iPad and do it!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Oh man, all this "just works" Apple nonsense makes my head hurt. How about how I could never get my iPhone 3G to connect to my Ubuntu Linux machine? Well not until I already moved to another phone and a later update to Linux finally got it working. Call it a Linux issue but it wasn't, because the older iphone could connect as well as older ipods, but apple made a change that stopped it from working. So what would the apple solution have been at the time?.... Use a Mac! Even S3 owners are constantly posting about how their S3 isn't recognized when connected to their mac. What about all the ipod users I supported at my last firm asking why they can't copy the music on their ipods over to their work pc?

Sorry, I ain't buying the "just works" bs. I support the iphone and ipad in my current law firm and trust me... It does NOT always "just work".

Rev.

Reactions: jroc

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The irony would be if Samsung or Google files a lawsuit against Apple assuming LTE patents are infringed upon. Then the Note 2 is released and the new IPhone has to compete with both the S III and the Note 2.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, all this "just works" Apple nonsense makes my head hurt. How about how I could never get my iPhone 3G to connect to my Ubuntu Linux machine? Well not until I already moved to another phone and a later update to Linux finally got it working. Call it a Linux issue but it wasn't, because the older iphone could connect as well as older ipods, but apple made a change that stopped it from working. So what would the apple solution have been at the time?.... Use a Mac! Even S3 owners are constantly posting about how their S3 isn't recognized when connected to their mac. What about all the ipod users I supported at my last firm asking why they can't copy the music on their ipods over to their work pc?

Sorry, I ain't buying the "just works" bs. I support the iphone and ipad in my current law firm and trust me... It does NOT always "just work".

Rev.

You could have just used Windows.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

You could have just used Windows.

Even still, without using iTunes, which I would never use, how much can you do? About the only thing the iphone can do without iTunes is transfer the Dcim folder :-/ Lame.

Rev.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835