Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Do you really think that? Pre-sales of the iPhone 5 broke records for sales. Mp3 sales have dropped significantly for all the manufacturers. I don't think Apple's focus is on iPods anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The kids still like them and they will sell lots of them. My point was that Apple copied the Lumia design.

http://m.bgr.com/2012/09/13/apple-nokia-design-stolen-ipod-nano-lumia/

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
iphone started as a music phone, an ipod with a phone like the walkman phones, it didnt even have video recording lol my Nokia N95 blew it away as a smartphone.

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Ya I never understood the popularity of the iPod except for kids. I used to have an old UT starcomm phone that played music and games etc. But it was also a phone. It used a stylus but full screen. Way before the iPhone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The kids still like them and they will sell lots of them. My point was that Apple copied the Lumia design.

http://m.bgr.com/2012/09/13/apple-nokia-design-stolen-ipod-nano-lumia/

You're joking right? That design has more iPod nano lineage in it than anything else. If anything, you could say nokia copied the iPod mini (remember that?), because that is clearly where the design influence for the new nano started.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Ya I never understood the popularity of the iPod except for kids. I used to have an old UT starcomm phone that played music and games etc. But it was also a phone. It used a stylus but full screen. Way before the iPhone.

yeah all the celeb's were photographed using the ipod and BANG, instant trend. if id been in the market for an mp3 player id have bought a generic one, never liked the idea of itunes..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You're joking right? That design has more iPod nano lineage in it than anything else. If anything, you could say nokia copied the iPod mini (remember that?), because that is clearly where the design influence for the new nano started.

Some people will find any reason to say someone copied Apple.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Well if the new iPod doesn't look like a duplicate up the lumia then the Samsung copy of the iPhone is obviously of no merit. I believe that that there are really only so many ways to make things rectangular and am willing to say who cares if the iPod looks like the Lumia more than it looks like the iPod Nano. The thing that pisses me off is that there is a double standard here. Apple gets to emulate but no one else can?

You realize that Apple used the Lumia in court as an example of a great design that didn't copy the iPhone right? Apparently they liked it enough to duplicate it. Not make a bigger version of the Nano but literally duplicate it. This for me only makes the cult of Apple slide farther down the ladder.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well if the new iPod doesn't look like a duplicate up the lumia then the Samsung copy of the iPhone is obviously of no merit. I believe that that there are really only so many ways to make things rectangular and am willing to say who cares if the iPod looks like the Lumia more than it looks like the iPod Nano. The thing that pisses me off is that there is a double standard here. Apple gets to emulate but no one else can?

You realize that Apple used the Lumia in court as an example of a great design that didn't copy the iPhone right? Apparently they liked it enough to duplicate it. Not make a bigger version of the Nano but literally duplicate it. This for me only makes the cult of Apple slide farther down the ladder.

The only double standard exists in your head. The new nano is an elongated version of the square one. That one was a shrunk down version of the long skinny one with the camera, which itself was based on an updated iPod mini. Know your history if you're going to argue, because you clearly don't.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
yup.gif

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
As someone with no dog in this fight, I can tell you that for the overwhelming majority of folks that use a smartphone, the out of box experience is decidedly better with Apple. These folks don't see the heavily sandboxed apps, the closed techosystem, and Apple's complete control of the marketplace as being a limitation. They see it as one less thing to worry about. To them it is a smartphone, and they have much more important concerns in their lives than tweaking it.

It has been this way since day one, and Android is just starting to catch up to that level of user experience. If iTunes is such bad thing, why would Google wish to emulate it with Google Play.

It is not that iPhone users are stupid or sheeplike? they simply have no interest in getting their fingers between the fan blades. And let's face it? Apple invented the device that we all see as the current day smartphone, and it single handedly took them from a struggling company to a tech giant on everyone's lips day in and day out.

With all that said, there are some very disturbing things about their business model as seen by geeks and do it yourselfers. Android excels in this arena, and provides us the ability to do what we do best? truly play with our gadgets. But we are a tiny market. If you can't admit that you might as well not enter the discussion as your reality distortion field is too far out of control for you to be objective.

IMHO, the main thing holding Android back is the customer experience. Google's existence is way too far behind the curtain. Had I purchased my N7 from Google Play, my experience might have been "never again". Instead, I took my first defective unit back to walmart and bought another. In this case, I got one that worked and am very happy with it. Performance and features are outstanding, but in comparison to an Apple product, perceived build quality is not even close.

I am also struggling to purchase a flagship phone from Samsung. I have had numerous flagship products from them over the years, and while performance was excellent, it looked, felt, and lasted like cheap junk. In the hand, an S3 to iPhone comparison is that of a cheap Timex/Casio to a Rolex. Not saying the cheap electronics won't keep time better and have more features, but the look, feel, fit, and finish of an iPhone screams quality (regardless of what is inside). The Apple Store experience is second to none, especially where new users are concerned, while prospective Android users are left to carrier store idiots, WalMart employees, and GameStop managers who couldn't even tell me what their return policy was while I was standing in their store with my wallet out.

Google needs to address the customer experience as it is clearly not just about the feature set or an open operating system (even though there is certainly plenty to be said for them).

i agree with a lot of what you said but if android became more apple-like in its experience then it just wouldnt be android lol.
and remember that the only true google devices are Nexus.
samsung etc are android-based like a kindle fire is but to a lesser extent.
with apple i do agree from what ive heard that customer care is EXCELENT. thats for the android OEM's to work on... not Google :)

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The only double standard exists in your head. The new nano is an elongated version of the square one. That one was a shrunk down version of the long skinny one with the camera, which itself was based on an updated iPod mini. Know your history if you're going to argue, because you clearly don't.

Here comes JBHthree to Apple's rescue! Better call Ry and monkeylouis to back you up. I kid, I kid, just never seen a post from you that doesn't involve defending Apple. However, I suppose we need a touch of darkness to really appreciate the light.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I'm not at all an Apple fan, but the first thing I thought when I saw the Lumia was "Hey! That looks like an old iPod Nano".

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Well at least the Lumia looks less like the old nano than the new nano looks like the Lumia. :p To be honest though the design of the Lumia was meh IMO.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The first Nano was my first music player. More innocent times.

Yup. I had one and 2 "regular" iPods. Unfortunately, our phones and cloud services have largely replaced the need for mp3 players. That's why I agree with a recent article on the Verge that there's a squandered opportunity there to use it as a wrist-based device--or if not that, something unique to justify the $150 cost.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup. I had one and 2 "regular" iPods. Unfortunately, our phones and cloud services have largely replaced the need for mp3 players. That's why I agree with a recent article on the Verge that there's a squandered opportunity there to use it as a wrist-based device--or if not that, something unique to justify the $150 cost.

As soon as my iTouch 2nd Gen burned out (yes it burned out F U again Apple) I started using my phone as my music player as well and asked myself "Why the hell didn't I do this before?!" Now I find mp3 players to be a waste of time and shelf space.

A wrist-mounted mp3 player would be cool though. Or even a phone. :D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I still use my latest/last iPod, but only because I don't have 160gb of storage on my phone :p. In that regard, it's awesome.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
How about just the fact that you can do dozens more things on Android? On Android I can put a shortcut to a PDF, .Doc, website, or anything really right on my homescreen. My wife has the bus schedule as a pdf shortcut on her Atrix, she'd always complained she couldn't do that with her iPhone. You can also play nearly ANY video or audio format without having to convert it, but I guess that isn't important right? I can also carry files from home to work on the SD memory card as a flash drive, never could do that with my iPhone.

Do we really need to keep rehashing this BS? If you love the iPhone that much Ryan, sell your Samsung phone and get one, move over to the iPhone forums, and live in bliss ;) Stop arguing with us poor idiots that don't know any better how much more awesome the iPhone is.

Rev.

Not sure about the doc shortcuts, but you can do website shortcuts. And the other stuff you mentioned can be done on iOS, play any video file, play any audio file, access files on sd cards. If you don't know how to do this then you didn't research. So I don't think you really had an iPhone.