Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You're implying that finding a gazillian apps to do tons of specialized tasks is easier than a once click root. Your comment applies 100%.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

No it doesn't. Root is not that simple. Maybe for you, but not for the majority of people, what is it in the millions a day now, that use android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No it doesn't. Root is not that simple. Maybe for you, but not for the majority of people, what is it in the millions a day now, that use android.

It's simpler. Root = a simple binary. A binary that gives root access file permissions. That's it. No more, no less. You have an application (Superuser or SuperSU) that "controls it." But past that, it's just a binary.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It's simpler. Root = a simple binary. A binary that gives root access file permissions. That's it. No more, no less. You have an application (Superuser or SuperSU) that "controls it." But past that, it's just a binary.

I know what root is. But the method for rooting, at least what I've seen for the gs3 was no one click.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I know what root is. But the method for rooting, at least what I've seen for the gs3 was no one click.

Then you should qualify your statement, because it came off (quite incorrectly) as a broad generalization. :)

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Then you should qualify your statement, because it came off (quite incorrectly) as a broad generalization. :)

I don't have to qualify anything, I didn't bring it up. I only mentioned apps, not rooting. Maybe the original person that mentioned rooting should have mentioned it 1sr, why don't you get onto them?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The point is that you CAN do 99% of the same things, and you have many different options for doing them since they're app-bases. Just because it's an option through a variety of different apps doesn't somehow make it inferior than having it baked into it.

@Monkeyluis - my apologies, I confused your posts with JHBThree.

So, JHBThree, if you don't mind please let me know how one creates a shortcut to a .Doc file, a PDF, a movie, and a picture on the iPhone homescreen. Since you said 99% can be done on the iPhone I am curious to know how to add shortcuts to these 4 file types to the homescreen on an iPhone. Using apps is fine, doesn't matter, I just want to know how to get all these formats as shortcuts on the homescreen. With ES File Explorer I can add a shortcut to any file type, just want to see if this is truly possible on the iPhone. Thanks.

Rev.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't have to qualify anything, I didn't bring it up. I only mentioned apps, not rooting. Maybe the original person that mentioned rooting should have mentioned it 1sr, why don't you get onto them?

Probably because you said this

Root is not that simple.

And this

Rooting is much more difficult and could be detrimental to the function of your phone.

It shows a common issue, which is that most users mixup the fundamentals of unlocking/rooting process, what occurs where, why each is important, and the effects of both actions on the device.

The other users did not make those statements. If they did, the same response would have been given.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

It's very simple. For the vast majority of phones it can be done with one click.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Probably because you said this

And this

It shows a common issue, which is that most users mixup the fundamentals of unlocking/rooting process, what occurs where, why each is important, and the effects of both actions on the device.

The other users did not make those statements. If they did, the same response would have been given.

OK. Whatever you say. I see where your bias lies.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OK. Whatever you say. I see where your bias lies.

With understanding how Android functions and not allowing someone to use it as some inane and superfluous debate/argument point?

Because if that's my bias, you're correct.

BTW, this is being typed on a MacBook Pro.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Really don't see how bias is playing into this. Maybe I missed something but rooting and the reasoning behind why you do it and understanding behind it has nothing to do with bias. I had a GS3, it was insanely easy to root/unlock once the proper utilities came out and if you want to call me bias as well that's fine.

I have used both an iPhone and Android as well as have both PC and Mac computers. They have their uses. There is no reason for attacking others and getting mad for other stating their points.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
With understanding how Android functions and not allowing someone to use it as some inane and superfluous debate/argument point?

Because if that's my bias, you're correct.

BTW, this is being typed on a MacBook Pro.

No. That I had to specify whati wanted to root, but when someone else mentions "you just have to root" without giving specifics, that's OK.

That's good that you're using a macbook pro, not sure what it has to do with this topic though. I'm using a nexus 7 as you can see, I'm also watching a vizio TV and my gs3 just notified me of a message, while my daughter is watching the roku in another room.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No. That I had to specify whati wanted to root, but when someone else mentions "you just have to root" without giving specifics, that's OK.

That's good that you're using a macbook pro, not sure what it has to do with this topic though. I'm using a nexus 7 as you can see, I'm also watching a vizio TV and my gs3 just notified me of a message, while my daughter is watching the roku in another room.

You said I was biased. I have used iOS and Android extensively. I use only Mac computers. As of right now, due to forced obsolescence, the only mobile ecosystem I use is Android.

However, and more importantly, I have no bias in this race/debate, I just wanted to dispel the point that you made about root being some complex, difficult thing. The statement "you just have to root" is not what I'm responding to; it's your statement about the difficulty of root/rooting. I am literally at a loss for how that shows bias. I saw an incorrect statement, and I responded. That's that.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You said I was biased. I have used iOS and Android extensively. I use only Mac computers. As of right now, due to forced obsolescence, the only mobile ecosystem I use is Android.

However, and more importantly, I have no bias in this race/debate, I just wanted to dispel the point that you made about root being some complex, difficult thing. The statement "you just have to root" is not what I'm responding to; it's your statement about the difficulty of root/rooting. I am literally at a loss for how that shows bias. I saw an incorrect statement, and I responded. That's that.

OK. Well then my bad. I think we were not on the same page then.

BTW, if you want to point me to a simple easy root method for the gs3, I would appreciate it. And a safe way.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OK. Well then my bad. I think we were not on the same page then.

BTW, if you want to point me to a simple easy root method for the gs3, I would appreciate it. And a safe way.

creccaj is your man, I'm sure he and the other AC advisors with GS3 expertise can more than adequately help you out.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
creccaj is your man, I'm sure he and the other AC advisors with GS3 expertise can more than adequately help you out.

I'd be more than happy to get your rooted and ready to go. Between Cyber Warrior and myself, there are plenty of extensive guides on how to root your phone and flash ROM's if you wish.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Look, you just said 10 minutes ago that you're still learning about Android and that your experience is very limited. I don't think that puts you in a very good position to comment on rooting devices, or how easy it is. If a device can be rooted in two minutes by downloading an app and and using a single click, that would be considered easy. Certainly easier then spending hours searching for dozens of apps and setting them up to make iOS emulate features that are already baked into Android.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Get in line, I'm still waiting for one of the other Apple champions (JHBThree, Ry, or Ryan) to explain to me the process for adding a shortcut to a .Doc file, a PDF, a movie, and a picture onto the iPhone homescreen. Anyone?

Rev.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Get in line, I'm still waiting for one of the other Apple champions (JHBThree, Ry, or Ryan) to explain to me the process for adding a shortcut to a .Doc file, a PDF, a movie, and a picture onto the iPhone homescreen. Anyone?

Rev.

I might not have looked hard enough, but after 2.5 years of iPad ownership I'd like to know the same (in all seriousness). It's a pain to use File Manager.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol