Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well if those geekbench benchmark tests are real then that says something about the CPU as it got better than any phone one there. But who knows if they are real and how it will translate in to real world performance which is what matters. If a phone has 512mb of ram and a single core 500mhz processor but performs better than the new dual core 1ghz with 1gb of ram then I'd be getter the single core.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Links? I really can't think of any reason Apple wouldn't release their CPU specs if they were better than the Android flagships, it would be another great advertising point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
theres benchmarks posted that favour the s3 or the ip5.. wait till AC get hold of one and run sum proper tests against s3 running Jellybean
itl probably be close and well done to apple.
i still prefer android and a larger screen :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Nah, it needs to be a local thing. My wife for example has a PDF of her bus schedule as a shortcut on her Atrix and a shortcut to a picture that she took of her diet/nutrition paper. JHBthree was saying that a lot of these things we think are not possible are actually possible through the use of apps and saying I was spreading misinformation, so I would like to know how to do this on an iPhone. I was not calling you out as having claimed this, just figured one of you might be able to explain how it's done.

Rev.
Glad this thread turned up something useful. How is this done? I have been trying to do this for months. Anycut app? I havent looked into it more to see.

And about the iPhone 5 benchmarks......its not just the cpu that gets it those scores. Apple may have optimized the memory on the phone or be using the latest memory specs. Good job iPhone 5 on the benchmarks tho. I stopped being a benchmark fiend when the GS1 and Droid X1 came out. The GS1 had the better specs...but the Droid X1 had the better benchmarks out the box. Samsung handicapped the GS1 performance with the file system. So I do agree somewhat thats specs aren't everything. WP, the iPhone and the GS1 proves that specs arent everything. I just dont agree that specs dont matter as a whole.

Thats another reason why I dropped out of the specs debate in that other iPhone 5 thread....lol. That and Ry made a good point about Windows OS requirements.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Links? I really can't think of any reason Apple wouldn't release their CPU specs if they were better than the Android flagships, it would be another great advertising point.

Because apple doesn't care about releasing their Specs. It is not relevant for them.

You should read anandtechs analysis of the chip. It breaks down why it is better than most everything out there, and how it does it.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Because apple doesn't care about releasing their Specs. It is not relevant for them.

You should read anandtechs analysis of the chip. It breaks down why it is better than most everything out there, and how it does it.

This is another thing that I will agree with JHB on.....the iPod Nano, Nokia post was clever....lol.

I have no problem giving Apple props, credit .........where its due. I just dont get the high pedestal it gets put on.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
apple spend a lot on research and development which is reflected in the price.
imagine apple made an android phone.........

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
apple spend a lot on research and development which is reflected in the price.
imagine apple made an android phone.........

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Apple actually spends less on R&D than pretty much every other tech company.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
This is another thing that I will agree with JHB on.....the iPod Nano, Nokia post was clever....lol.

I have no problem giving Apple props, credit .........where its due. I just dont get the high pedestal it gets put on.

Marketing. Seeing a lot of the crazies on the news talking about how much they love apple and blah blah blah is obnoxious. It's just technology people!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That's why we get terms like Retina display, iSight camera..

That's also why we get terms like i3, i5, and i7. Snapdragon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I figured how to do shortcuts to .pdf's to my home screen for my RAZR. Some file managers have the Create Shortcut option. Good thing this came up in this thread. I dont know how I never knew this or looked for this before today. My daily commute just became a lil easier.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Glad this thread turned up something useful. How is this done? I have been trying to do this for months. Anycut app? I havent looked into it more to see.

And about the iPhone 5 benchmarks......its not just the cpu that gets it those scores. Apple may have optimized the memory on the phone or be using the latest memory specs. Good job iPhone 5 on the benchmarks tho. I stopped being a benchmark fiend when the GS1 and Droid X1 came out. The GS1 had the better specs...but the Droid X1 had the better benchmarks out the box. Samsung handicapped the GS1 performance with the file system. So I do agree somewhat thats specs aren't everything. WP, the iPhone and the GS1 proves that specs arent everything. I just dont agree that specs dont matter as a whole.

Thats another reason why I dropped out of the specs debate in that other iPhone 5 thread....lol. That and Ry made a good point about Windows OS requirements.

Ya its still pretty impressive beating out the quad core cpu's and also with the battery life claims if those are true then this is one hell of a chip

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

They've always released the CPU specs by launch before. And it's also the only architecture spec they didn't release. And Besides, what you're saying is nuts. It's not relevant for a hardware company to give the specs of the hardware they sell? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If any other smartphone maker said "we're not going to tell you what's in it. Just trust us." it would be headline news. If their chip was better than the Android flagships you can be damn sure they would have been shouting it from the hills. They didn't feel like telling everyone that their A6 was a 1.2 ghz dual core, because it flat out sounded bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the market at all.

And anandtech's article is conjecture at best. Looking at their zoomed in photos of the architecture and reading their wild guesswork at it's workings just about made me laugh. Using that as evidence really doesn't help your point.

Oh and by the way, the iPhone 5 only beat the tegra 3 when it was running ICS, by a mere 40 points. With jellybean, the tegra won by 181 points. First of all, that tells us that software has a great effect on benchmarks, which is probably the reason the A6, a 1.2 GHz dual core, performed so well. Second, it tells us that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5, which means Android wins the battle of the benchmarks. Third, it tells us how greatly the iPhone 5 will be outclassed when devices with the S4 pro hits the market next month. Let's just imagine how much it's going to be lagging behind by the beginning of next year.

Last edited:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ya its still pretty impressive beating out the quad core cpu's and also with the battery life claims if those are true then this is one hell of a chip

Battery life is a tricky subject..... The talk times Apple posted at the key note are low or even vs some recent and older Android phones with dual core chips. LTE web browsing is interesting.....cuz honestly the iPhone 5 comes up short or even vs some of these other phones everywhere except LTE web browsing. I think the only phone out the box that will match or beat the iPhone 5 in that is the Maxx HD. I didnt post any Stand By times, but some I seen recently last longer than the iPhone 5. And I never really see battery life for music and video playback on phones. I mostly see that for tablets. Or some sites just dont focus on media playback on phones.

AnandTech - The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

AnandTech - Bench - Smartphone11

Anandtech's battery tests for the iPhone 5 will be interesting. Does Apple ever post the mAh size of their batteries in the iPhone? Its also funny how things can get misunderstood. I seen a post somewhere where the person said the iPhone 5 would be the first LTE phone that could last all day. The GS3 last between 6-7 hours for LTE web browsing...according to some tests. But an LTE phone lasting all day.....overall........goes to the Maxx with that monster battery in it.

I also find it odd that LTE and 3G web browsing times are identical in that pic for the iPhone 5. I would assume 3G would last longer. It does for Android phones.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And you know this how?

As a developer, I can tell you they have hundreds, if not thousands of engineers on board. There are hundreds at WWDC alone.

I know they've been doing some headhunting. I work around a bunch of buildings with a "Q" on them. Senior engineers have been moving away from San Diego to Cupertino.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
suppose it depends on if they downloaded an identical file and that the 3g and 4g signal strength were both very strong mate?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They've always released the CPU specs by launch before. And it's also the only architecture spec they didn't release. And Besides, what you're saying is nuts. It's not relevant for a hardware company to give the specs of the hardware they sell? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If any other smartphone maker said "we're not going to tell you what's in it. Just trust us." it would be headline news. If their chip was better than the Android flagships you can be damn sure they would have been shouting it from the hills. They didn't feel like telling everyone that their A6 was a 1.2 ghz dual core, because it flat out sounded bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the market at all.

And anandtech's article is conjecture at best. Looking at their zoomed in photos of the architecture and reading their wild guesswork at it's workings just about made me laugh. Using that as evidence really doesn't help your point.

Oh and by the way, the iPhone 5 only beat the tegra 3 when it was running ICS, by a mere 40 points. With jellybean, the tegra won by 181 points. First of all, that tells us that software has a great effect on benchmarks, which is probably the reason the A6, a 1.2 GHz dual core, performed so well. Second, it tells us that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5, which means Android wins the battle of the benchmarks. Third, it tells us how greatly the iPhone 5 will be outclassed when devices with the S4 pro hits the market next month. Let's just imagine how much it's going to be lagging behind by the beginning of next year.

IIRC, Apple hasn't posted the clock speed of any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch during keynotes. We usually get those later when people run tests on them. I could be wrong though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is a tricky subject..... The talk times Apple posted at the key note are low or even vs some recent and older Android phones with dual core chips. LTE web browsing is interesting.....cuz honestly the iPhone 5 comes up short or even vs some of these other phones everywhere except LTE web browsing. I think the only phone out the box that will match or beat the iPhone 5 in that is the Maxx HD. I didnt post any Stand By times, but some I seen recently last longer than the iPhone 5. And I never really see battery life for music and video playback on phones. I mostly see that for tablets. Or some sites just dont focus on media playback on phones.

AnandTech - The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

AnandTech - Bench - Smartphone11

Anandtech's battery tests for the iPhone 5 will be interesting. Does Apple ever post the mAh size of their batteries in the iPhone? Its also funny how things can get misunderstood. I seen a post somewhere where the person said the iPhone 5 would be the first LTE phone that could last all day. The GS3 last between 6-7 hours for LTE web browsing...according to some tests. But an LTE phone lasting all day.....overall........goes to the Maxx with that monster battery in it.

I also find it odd that LTE and 3G web browsing times are identical in that pic for the iPhone 5. I would assume 3G would last longer. It does for Android phones.

I'm pretty sure the iFixIt tear down revealed a 14XX mAh battery in the new 5. I'll have to double check.

And in Engadget's battery run down test, I think the DROID RAZR MAXX only beat it by 10 minutes.

We'll see how it actually compares in real world use.

Last edited: