Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They've always released the CPU specs by launch before. And it's also the only architecture spec they didn't release. And Besides, what you're saying is nuts. It's not relevant for a hardware company to give the specs of the hardware they sell? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If any other smartphone maker said "we're not going to tell you what's in it. Just trust us." it would be headline news. If their chip was better than the Android flagships you can be damn sure they would have been shouting it from the hills. They didn't feel like telling everyone that their A6 was a 1.2 ghz dual core, because it flat out sounded bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the market at all.

No, they haven't. Apple has never released any specs for their CPUs/ram. They've only identified vague benchmarks, like twice as fast, etc. The only reason we've ever known the clock speeds, ram amount, etc, is because sites like anandtech analyze the parts being used and run benchmarks.

And anandtech's article is conjecture at best. Looking at their zoomed in photos of the architecture and reading their wild guesswork at it's workings just about made me laugh. Using that as evidence really doesn't help your point.
You CAN'T be serious, can you? They matched up a part number on the CPU to a part number for Samsung, which is exactly what you have to do when the manufacturer refuses to give any information. Then they analyzed benchmarks, as well as the presence of an advanced instruction set that hasn't really been seen before. Their 'guesswork' is more accurate than anything you can find. If you disagree, then why don't you do some detective work and prove them wrong.

Oh and by the way, the iPhone 5 only beat the tegra 3 when it was running ICS, by a mere 40 points. With jellybean, the tegra won by 181 points. First of all, that tells us that software has a great effect on benchmarks, which is probably the reason the A6, a 1.2 GHz dual core, performed so well. Second, it tells us that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5, which means Android wins the battle of the benchmarks. Third, it tells us how greatly the iPhone 5 will be outclassed when devices with the S4 pro hits the market next month. Let's just imagine how much it's going to be lagging behind by the beginning of next year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It's faster than the S4 by a wide margin, so what on earth makes you think it will 'lag behind'? (And don't try to rationalize being a fanboy in your answer)

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
No, they haven't. Apple has never released any specs for their CPUs/ram. They've only identified vague benchmarks, like twice as fast, etc. The only reason we've ever known the clock speeds, ram amount, etc, is because sites like anandtech analyze the parts being used and run benchmarks.

You CAN'T be serious, can you? They matched up a part number on the CPU to a part number for Samsung, which is exactly what you have to do when the manufacturer refuses to give any information. Then they analyzed benchmarks, as well as the presence of an advanced instruction set that hasn't really been seen before. Their 'guesswork' is more accurate than anything you can find. If you disagree, then why don't you do some detective work and prove them wrong.

It's faster than the S4 by a wide margin, so what on earth makes you think it will 'lag behind' besides the fact that you're a raging fanboy?

I thought the S4 was faster than the tegra. Either way, the tegra is faster when it's tegra with jellybean vs A6 with ios6.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They've always released the CPU specs by launch before. And it's also the only architecture spec they didn't release. And Besides, what you're saying is nuts. It's not relevant for a hardware company to give the specs of the hardware they sell? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? If any other smartphone maker said "we're not going to tell you what's in it. Just trust us." it would be headline news. If their chip was better than the Android flagships you can be damn sure they would have been shouting it from the hills. They didn't feel like telling everyone that their A6 was a 1.2 ghz dual core, because it flat out sounded bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the market at all.

And anandtech's article is conjecture at best. Looking at their zoomed in photos of the architecture and reading their wild guesswork at it's workings just about made me laugh. Using that as evidence really doesn't help your point.

Oh and by the way, the iPhone 5 only beat the tegra 3 when it was running ICS, by a mere 40 points. With jellybean, the tegra won by 181 points. First of all, that tells us that software has a great effect on benchmarks, which is probably the reason the A6, a 1.2 GHz dual core, performed so well. Second, it tells us that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5, which means Android wins the battle of the benchmarks. Third, it tells us how greatly the iPhone 5 will be outclassed when devices with the S4 pro hits the market next month. Let's just imagine how much it's going to be lagging behind by the beginning of next year.

That's all good and I live and breathe android but it really doesn't matter if the user experience doesn't change with the increased horsepower.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought the S4 was faster than the tegra. Either way, the tegra is faster when it's tegra with jellybean vs A6 with ios6.

The A6, like the S4, will be faster than the tegra 3 the majority of the time. They are also significantly more efficient. The only good a quad core does is when the phone is doing heavy duty processing, which most people will never do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the iFixIt tear down revealed a 14XX mAh battery in the new 5. I'll have to double check.

And in Engadget's battery run down test, I think the DROID RAZR MAXX only beat it by 10 minutes.

We'll see how it actually compares in real world use.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

If so.... 1400+ mAh battery is impressive to get those numbers. I always try to look at the battery sizes too. And I hate bringing up the Maxx since the battery is so big. Its a stock battery tho....oh well. But compared to the battery in the Maxx....that would be damn impressive if its 1400+. But if it is....why not just put in an even bigger battery? The RAZR is so thin with a bigger battery than that. If the Maxx and iPhone 5 are similar in size....Apple coulda did that and absolutely killed for battery life.

And gotta agree with JHB again about Anandtech. I dont always agree with whats posted there....but majority of the time I do. Its funny cuz Anandtech has been accused of favoring Qualcomm. I dont see that, and they were one of the few sites that went into extreme detail about the iPhone 4 antenna issue and why it was a real issue.

Yea...just checked one site...the Maxx is a lil bit bigger than the iPhone 5. I woulda put in a bigger battery if I were Apple. That test were it lasted 10 minutes under the Maxx was for video playback with LTE, Wifi and social accounts updating. Very impressive ....but thats only part of the story. I want to know how it is for LTE and Wifi separately. And I always try to look at it overall....and talk times is what I'm interested in. But still....impressive for a phone with a 1400 mAh battery. Like I said before...I will give Apple credit....where its due....lol. I think the battery size is something Apple should promote more. That is damn impressive for a 1400 battery. A battery that size in most HTC phones would suck for battery life.

Last edited:

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If so.... 1400+ mAh battery is impressive to get those numbers. I always try to look at the battery sizes too. And I hate bringing up the Maxx since the battery is so big. Its a stock battery tho....oh well. But compared to the battery in the Maxx....that would be damn impressive if its 1400+. But if it is....why not just put in an even bigger battery? The RAZR is so thin with a bigger battery than that. If the Maxx and iPhone 5 are similar in size....Apple coulda did that and absolutely killed for battery life.

And gotta agree with JHB again about Anandtech. I dont always agree with whats posted there....but majority of the time I do. Its funny cuz Anandtech has been accused of favoring Qualcomm. I dont see that, and they were one of the few sites that went into extreme detail about the iPhone 4 antenna issue and why it was a real issue.

Yea...just checked one site...the Maxx is a lil bit bigger than the iPhone 5. I woulda put in a bigger battery if I were Apple. That test were it lasted 10 minutes under the Maxx was for video playback with LTE, Wifi and social accounts updating. Very impressive ....but thats only part of the story. I want to know how it is for LTE and Wifi separately. And I always try to look at it overall....and talk times is what I'm interested in. But still....impressive for a phone with a 1400 mAh battery. Like I said before...I will give Apple credit....where its due....lol. I think the battery size is something Apple should promote more. That is damn impressive for a 1400 battery. A battery that size in most HTC phones would suck for battery life.

Apple will try to eek out as much from a smaller battery with OS optimizations so that when they finally decide to put a bigger battery in there they'll sing to the high heavens how long it lasts.

Apple will always have an advantage over battery life since they control all aspects of the hardware and OS. Andorid is at a disadvantage since it had to run on hundreds of different hardware configurations. At some point though, battery technology will advance to a point where it won't matter anymore in any practical sense. Phones will last days regardless of the OS you use.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The S4 is plenty fast, and honestly Apple copied Qualcomm this time around. They took a license for the same instruction set and optimized the architecture for their software. How is that not exactly what Qualcomm does?

Benchmarks aren't really useful from one platform to the next, but if I had to I would take the offloaded standard resolution test anandtech does as being the most equal. But that's still just gaming.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Glad this thread turned up something useful. How is this done? I have been trying to do this for months. Anycut app? I havent looked into it more to see.

Yeah, JHBThree said I was spreading false information saying the iPhone couldn't do it but after asking him how it's done he's completely ignored answering my post. So, I'm guessing it can't be done on the iPhone.

Rev.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm my experience, JHBTHREE is a little too emotional when it comes to Apple. Like a crazy person almost.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep the personal stuff to a minimum, eh? Doesn't help, add to, or support the discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I love the way many people make owning, or choosing a smartphone out to be a life altering decision. Live life to the fullest, and enjoy what makes YOU happy, and let others enjoy what makes them happy. Nothing to educate anyone on here, because both phones are solid. The Android platform, as well as the Galaxy SIII are both public knowledge, and people pick, and choose as they see fit the smartphone that fits their needs best.

Last edited:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The S4 is plenty fast, and honestly Apple copied Qualcomm this time around. They took a license for the same instruction set and optimized the architecture for their software. How is that not exactly what Qualcomm does?

Benchmarks aren't really useful from one platform to the next, but if I had to I would take the offloaded standard resolution test anandtech does as being the most equal. But that's still just gaming.

So the iPhone basically went from using a Hummingbird/A chip to a Snapdragon/A chip.....

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So from the information I'm reading, Apple must be making a huge a profit on this device. A cut down, basic , optimized OS running on a 1.2 GHz dual core, with a 1400Mah battery. Lol. I can just see the Apple board meeting. "What are the lowest we can possibly make the specs, without it being slow?"

To JBHthree, I'd also point out that from a little research, the Tegra looks like it will still be more powerful for gaming than the A6. I still find it funny that a nearly year old CPU with the latest Android software beats the brand new Apple CPU with the latest Apple software in overall benchmarks, which measure general performance as well. That does not bode well for Apple.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So from the information I'm reading, Apple must be making a huge a profit on this device. A cut down, basic , optimized OS running on a 1.2 GHz dual core, with a 1400Mah battery. Lol. I can just see the Apple board netting. "What are the lowest we can possibly make the specs, without it being slow?"

To JBHthree, I'd also point out that from a little research, the Tegra looks like it will still be more powerful for gaming than the A6. I still find it funny that a nearly year old CPU with the latest Android software beats the brand new Apple CPU with the latest Apple software in overall benchmarks, which measure general performance as well. That does not bode well for Apple.

And yet anandtech disagrees. (and that's completely ignoring the software part of the equation, which totally undermines every point you've made thus far)

You can also stop with the 'its dual core so it's inferiror' line. Apple designed a custom chip that is certainly going to be more expensive than previous versions, and is comparable with all of the high end silicone out there, quad cores included.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So from the information I'm reading, Apple must be making a huge a profit on this device. A cut down, basic , optimized OS running on a 1.2 GHz dual core, with a 1400Mah battery. Lol. I can just see the Apple board netting. "What are the lowest we can possibly make the specs, without it being slow?"

For the record, the specs for every iPhone have pretty much been "lower" than the Android devices of the time.

I doubt Apple is losing any sleep over benchmarks.

Just saying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
And yet anandtech disagrees. (and that's completely ignoring the software part of the equation, which totally undermines every point you've made thus far)

You can also stop with the 'its dual core so it's inferiror' line. Apple designed a custom chip that is certainly going to be more expensive than previous versions, and is comparable with all of the high end silicone out there, quad cores included.

Anandtech doesn't disagree that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5 in the benchmarks. Anandtech is making conjecture based on photographs of the architecture. Nowhere in their article do they claim it to be anything more. The fact is that even an old tegra 3 with Jelly Bean beats the A6 in overall benchmarks. And Jellybean is more system intensive than iOS 6. If you tried to run JB with the A6 it would probably kill it. The fact is, at least with jellybean, Android flagship devices outperform the iPhone 5 in both performance and hardware. I'm using facts to back up my argument (benchmarks). I'd like to see you provide some actual data to back up yours besides guesswork from anandtech.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech doesn't disagree that a tegra device with jellybean beats the iPhone 5 in the benchmarks. Anandtech is making conjecture based on photographs of the architecture. Nowhere in their article do they claim it to be anything more. The fact is that even an old tegra 3 with Jelly Bean beats the A6 in overall benchmarks. And Jellybean is more system intensive than iOS 6. If you tried to run JB with the A6 it would probably kill it. The fact is, at least with jellybean, Android flagship devices outperform the iPhone 5 in both performance and hardware. I'm using facts to back up my argument (benchmarks). I'd like to see you provide some actual data to back up yours besides guesswork from anandtech.

Are you actually being serious right now, or are you trolling? (given your history, trolling is most likely) They matched up parts from Samsung to the new chip, and then dove deep into apples programming tools to find out more information.

And I'll say it again, since apparently reading is not your strength: the A6 is on a level playing field with the S4. That undermines your point totally and completely.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you actually being serious right now, or are you trolling? (given your history, trolling is most likely) They matched up parts from Samsung to the new chip, and then dove deep into apples programming tools to find out more information.

And I'll say it again, since apparently reading is not your strength: the A6 is on a level playing field with the S4. That undermines your point totally and completely.

I'm sorry you find the need to accuse anyone who points out that you're wrong, or that Apple's new toy isn't the best in the store, of trolling. I'm disappointed.

Just for your information Anandtech just admitted they were WRONG.

In their initial article, they said this

" It's still too early to tell a lot but we have information on a lot of things. The image above shows two 32-bit LPDDR2 memory channels and three GPU cores. We're likely looking at a PowerVR SGX 543MP3 running at 266MHz.
UBM estimates the die size at 95.04mm2 and the manufacturer as Samsung."

First of all, they say nothing about how it stacks up to competitors. Second, note how they say "It's too early to tell a lot" and use the word "estimates" Even they admit it's conjecture. Here's what makes you 100% wrong. This is from their follow up article.

"The custom-designed A6 core is a big step for Apple, whose previous A4 and A5 processors for iPhones and iPads were based on designs adopted from ARM. The A6 is also based on ARM architecture, but after analyzing code, chip size and the architecture, experts have concluded that Apple has designed its own CPU from the ground up rather than licensing an existing processor design."

There you go. It's not based off of Samsungs chip, their conjecture turned out to be utterly incorrect. That's why it's conjecture. They also still said nothing about how it stacks up to competitors, as you implied. The only information we have about that are benchmarks. And in benchmarks the Tegra 3 with Jellybean wins hands down.

Please stop accusing anyone who disagrees with you of being a troll. I'm being civil, I'd appreciate if you could grant me the same courtesy.

Last edited:

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify when benchmarks matter? I've seen many a post comparing android phones that benchmarks don't matter, it's the actual real world performance, but when it's not in Apples favour the benchmarks are important and the end all.

Look, my iphone 4 which is 2 years old runs as smoothly for me as my SGS 3. Benchmarks are just numbers used to prop fanboy arguments.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca