Anyone else eager to LAUGH at what apple has to offer Sept 12th?

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
What are some alternative voice assistants? S-voice is pretty crappy. Tried to use it yesterday to find city hall that I had to go to in my town, took forever and didn't find it anyway. I just put Vlingo on as I've heard it's pretty good.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
What are some alternative voice assistants? S-voice is pretty crappy. Tried to use it yesterday to find city hall that I had to go to in my town, took forever and didn't find it anyway. I just put Vlingo on as I've heard it's pretty good.

Google voice is the best from what I've read and heard. You can always try that. I will try it myself once I get around to it, eventually, lol!

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I think most truly useful voice commands are really only good when you are by yourself. Talking to your phone in public makes you look like a book.

I use it primarily for the following commands and rarely have a need to have it schedule appointments etc.

1. Making calls to specific contacts via bluetooth in my car. Ie: Call John Smith on mobile.

2. Getting directions using the popular Google maps. Some of you may have tried it. Lol. Ie: navigate to (store or restaurant or address). I find this particularly useful when trying to get to a restaurant I have not been to but know the general area. I just ask for directions when I get close.

3. Direct calls to companies or retailers not in my contacts. This again is incredibly accurate and fast on Android. I would like to hear from iOS6 users if this type of thing is now available with Siri. Can you ask her to call the Best Western hotel and will it search and find the closest location to you then dial the number?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Yes to your #3 but it has an extra step. For example, you say "Siri where's the nearest Best Buy?" She gives you some locations which are arranged by distance. She then asks if you would like to call, navigate to, or cancel request. You tell her which location to call. There may be another way. I'll try later v

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes to your #3 but it has an extra step. For example, you say "Siri where's the nearest Best Buy?" She gives you some locations which are arranged by distance. She then asks if you would like to call, navigate to, or cancel request. You tell her which location to call. There may be another way. I'll try later v

You are correct.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually Apple bought Siri from another company. Steve Wozniak actually said Siri was better before Apple got its hands on it.

The more I hear this guy the more he seems like a disgruntled employee. I would take this with a grain of salt. Siri was in the App Store before Apple bought them.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Just checked but that's not a virtual assistant. Thanks though.

Oops, sorry bout that! I was under the impression that it was a virtual assistant. I thought I had read either here or somewhere else that Google had an answer to Apple's Siri and that it worked much better, currently, as well. I'll have to go digging again.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Oops, sorry bout that! I was under the impression that it was a virtual assistant. I thought I had read either here or somewhere else that Google had an answer to Apple's Siri and that it worked much better, currently, as well. I'll have to go digging again.

I thought so too, but can't find anything. Maybe google now? I don't know.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The more I hear this guy the more he seems like a disgruntled employee.

Disgruntled "employee"??? You realize he co-founded Apple right? Excuse you, but his opinions on Apple have more bearing than anyone else other than the late Steve Jobs.

Rev.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Disgruntled "employee"??? You realize he co-founded Apple right? Excuse you, but his opinions on Apple have more bearing than anyone else other than the late Steve Jobs.

Rev.
I know he co-founded Apple. That's proves my point about him being disgruntled. Who would recognize him? No one. When people think of Apple, they think Steve Jobs. And now they think Tim Cook. Sounds like Kobe when Shaq got all the spotlight.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but S voice is NOWHERE near Siri. Google voice is but not S voice. Out of 2 weeks I owned the SG3, S voice got one thing right.