Asking Again: Touchstone hack?

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Anybody comfortable enough doing a hack of the GS3 battery cover to work with a Touchstone that you're willing to do it for -- cha-ching -- cash?

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Just order an extra S3 battery cover and a Palm Pixi Touchstone back (and a touchstone, obviously). As long as you're patient, it's pretty easy. I soldered mine, as the tape method didn't work well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
As long as you have the right parts, it is not too hard. I would recommend a thin acrylic and plastic weld if you do not want tape on the outside.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have the right parts, it is not too hard. I would recommend a thin acrylic and plastic weld if you do not want tape on the outside.

I don't see any reason that you would have tape on the outside at all. If you mean the picture that I posted, that is of the inside of the battery cover. :cool:

The silver spots are the contact points that line up with the ones on the phone.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any reason that you would have tape on the outside at all. If you mean the picture that I posted, that is of the inside of the battery cover. :cool:

The silver spots are the contact points that line up with the ones on the phone.

Lol no I just meant in general

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh hey, that looks great! What are those little balls you used for the contacts? Is it just solder? I've been trying to figure out a good way to handle the contacts on the phone side. When the back cover is on the phone does it buldge at all?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You rather a home made one or is it cheaper or what? Just wondering why everyone is making touchstone mods when they have wireless charging docks out. (At least I think they do lol.) Is it more fun to make it your self?

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh hey, that looks great! What are those little balls you used for the contacts? Is it just solder? I've been trying to figure out a good way to handle the contacts on the phone side. When the back cover is on the phone does it buldge at all?

Yup... I had been trying to figure out what to use too. I had even gone to far as to pull apart my old Palm Pixi to use for parts. Solder ended up being perfect, as I could adjust the size as needed.

There isn't any bulge, just the tiny bit of pull along the edge of the cover. If anyone looked at it, they would never notice it.

The only thing that I messed up on was that I soldered the contact points while it was on the battery cover, and made a little mark from the heat of the iron. Just under the S on the Samsung battery door that I used so I wouldn't mess up my Sprint one.

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You rather a home made one or is it cheaper or what? Just wondering why everyone is making touchstone mods when they have wireless charging docks out. (At least I think they do lol.) Is it more fun to make it your self?

Kind of a combination of things. The official one isn't out yet. I used the Touchstone all the time back when I had my Palm, and you can get them really cheap now (I paid around $4 for the Touchstone, and a couple more dollars for a Pixi back for the charging coil).

And I think that it's a fun thing to do, with minimal risk to your phone, as long as you think in through.

Reactions: Tkbredx

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup... I had been trying to figure out what to use too. I had even gone to far as to pull apart my old Palm Pixi to use for parts. Solder ended up being perfect, as I could adjust the size as needed.

That's awesome. My soldering skills aren't too great but I'll have to try it, if I can just get them in the right spot.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Anybody comfortable enough doing a hack of the GS3 battery cover to work with a Touchstone that you're willing to do it for -- cha-ching -- cash?

So, do you have an extended battery or a regular S3 battery? I may be willing to do it, but news is that the S3 will get an official wireless charging system this or next month.

millerderek

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have made a touchstone adapter that doesn't need to be soldered on to the actual phone. It just uses tabs to contact the phone. I'm willing to make some if any ones interested. Just message me and we can discuss. It doesn't even look any different than before the mod. I use a palm pre plus adapter and some other goodies and have quite the mod.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome. My soldering skills aren't too great but I'll have to try it, if I can just get them in the right spot.

I had never soldered anything before either... I bought a battery powered soldering iron, which worked perfectly for doing this.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21