The difference I see between MR forums and AC forums...(phones)

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
You know, it's amazing when you think about it. Oh and the reason I am posting in this forum is because I do have an S3 and this is my new second home! I am also comparing flagship phone forums in a way.

A lot of people on MacRumours spout on about Fandroid hate popping up in their forums and talk about how bitter and rude they are but in reality if you compare Apple visitors to AC there is much less hostility in these forums in general

ie: There are a lot of non tech savvy people posting on MR, lots of basic and simple (not very well thought out topic posts). Some are downright dumb. There tends to be much more hostility towards other posters than is found here on AC.

I was quite surprised tbh. I have been a MR forums member for at least 2 years or so. I have just come over to the S3 thread because I have the phone and lots of knowledge can be found here, and while there is the gentle Apple bashing that occasionally occurs it really isn't as severe or aggressive as found on MR.

Ironically there are progressively more and more anti-iPhone or anti iOS posts cropping up on MR forums from FORMER Apple iPhone users who have become disgruntled with it all and have made the switch to Android. They have even gone so far as to add an "Alternatives to iOS subforum in the forum list!

I guess I wanted to say it's interesting that there seem to be much more intelligent posting comments here from people who have the either job background or experience to back up their posts. Certainly makes me want to avoid putting something stupid down :)

Well done AC forum personnel!

Shani

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: The difference I see between MR forums and AC forums...(phone

That's exactly what l have been discovering. I have been an apple fan boy for many years. I followed apple forums daily but didn't dare post on them for fear of getting torn apart. I am currently still on iPhone owner but am in the process of switching to the s3.my first android device ever.i have posted questions and concerns about the device on this site before jumping ship. I have recived nothing but intelligent answers and support. Not one negative comment about me being a longtime iPhone user. I do belive I am going to like it here.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Not one negative comment about me being a longtime iPhone user. I do belive I am going to like it here.

Stupid Apple fanboy go home!!

- there ya go :p

Of course that is 100% a lighthearted joke :)

Rev.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

Yes, welcome to the good side of the battle! Most of us are just here to ask and answer questions and/or offer help, with the occasional side of our griping or taking shots at apple. Many of my posts are openly anti-apple, but I feel well-justified in that, and that is as far as my frustrations extend. I will not attack someone personally just because they like apple; just the company itself. So with that said, nice to have you here!

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

It is quite simple. Most android users understand why someone would use an iPhone, hell, many of us have in our own personal lives. Hardcore iSheep look down on people who don't own an iPhone. To them it's a status symbol. You know the ones I'm talking about, the people who post on MR's freaking out about how is someone going to know they have the 4s as opposed to the 4 because that is important to them. The put down every other phone as not being as "high quality" and aesthetically pleasing, all the meanwhile shoving their glass phone in a otterbox defender. Makes a ton of sense to me, but at least they know what under all that otterbox plastic and silicone. It's really nothing more than users taking after their platforms in some respects. In this case we'll say one is more open-minded, the other more close-minded.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

It is quite simple. Most android users understand why someone would use an iPhone, hell, many of us have in our own personal lives. Hardcore iSheep look down on people who don't own an iPhone. To them it's a status symbol. You know the ones I'm talking about, the people who post on MR's freaking out about how is someone going to know they have the 4s as opposed to the 4 because that is important to them. The put down every other phone as not being as "high quality" and aesthetically pleasing, all the meanwhile shoving their glass phone in a otterbox defender. Makes a ton of sense to me, but at least they know what under all that otterbox plastic and silicone. It's really nothing more than users taking after their platforms in some respects. In this case we'll say one is more open-minded, the other more close-minded.

Lol but you forgot, with each new release of the apple stuff (mainly the same exact thing with a different number/letter on it), suddenly the previous falls into the category of being looked down on and only the "latest and greatest" is worthy of praise!

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Lol but you forgot, with each new release of the apple stuff (mainly the same exact thing with a different number/letter on it), suddenly the previous falls into the category of being looked down on and only the "latest and greatest" is worthy of praise!

Well in their eyes any iPhone is a refined piece of craftsmanship. To own one is an honor, IF (as they like to point out) you can afford one.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I agree with everything yall are saying completely! Every time I go to MacRumors to check out something (mainly software updates for my MacBook Pro) I always scroll down and see hate towards each other in the comments. People go on and on about some stupid little thing and half of them don't even know what they're talking about! Yes I may be a little techy and I like knowing the specs for phones and I understand that other people could care less about specs but it still baffles me why someone would KNOWINGLY buy an iPhone for $200-$400 on contract KNOWING that there are other phones that offer DOUBLE the battery life, TRIPLE the performance power and even QUADRUPLE the RAM! And then when they see someone else with an Android they're all snoby and say,"look at that thing its ugly" or "you have an android, those things are so slow"! I just wanna flip on them! Like look at you with your glass phone shoved into an otterbox or lifeproof case that makes it look like a brick! Or what about when they ask you the dumbest questions? I had a friend of mine who is anti-Andorid and pro-Apple ask me the other day how to turn on Bluetooth on his 4S.....like really?! Are you stupid?! Even better when they try to say Android is a poor man's iPhone...hmmmm lets think about this one...I paid $280 for my Thunderbolt, I paid $200 for my Rezound...and you paid what? $190 or less for that paper weight you call a phone? Yea, we're the poor person's phone! Say that to me if it helps you sleep at night knowing you paid $200 for a phone that's already 8 months outdated and spec wise its like 2 years outdated!

Sorry if I'm ranting but it just makes me mad!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Well in their eyes any iPhone is a refined piece of craftsmanship. To own one is an honor, IF (as they like to point out) you can afford one.

Yes, because Android users are all poor (financially) because of their poor taste in anything other than an Apple product. And its not just regular day to day users but bloggers and journalists such as THIS. Such elitism!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You know, it's amazing when you think about it. Oh and the reason I am posting in this forum is because I do have an S3 and this is my new second home! I am also comparing flagship phone forums in a way.

A lot of people on MacRumours spout on about Fandroid hate popping up in their forums and talk about how bitter and rude they are but in reality if you compare Apple visitors to AC there is much less hostility in these forums in general

ie: There are a lot of non tech savvy people posting on MR, lots of basic and simple (not very well thought out topic posts). Some are downright dumb. There tends to be much more hostility towards other posters than is found here on AC.

I was quite surprised tbh. I have been a MR forums member for at least 2 years or so. I have just come over to the S3 thread because I have the phone and lots of knowledge can be found here, and while there is the gentle Apple bashing that occasionally occurs it really isn't as severe or aggressive as found on MR.

Ironically there are progressively more and more anti-iPhone or anti iOS posts cropping up on MR forums from FORMER Apple iPhone users who have become disgruntled with it all and have made the switch to Android. They have even gone so far as to add an "Alternatives to iOS subforum in the forum list!

I guess I wanted to say it's interesting that there seem to be much more intelligent posting comments here from people who have the either job background or experience to back up their posts. Certainly makes me want to avoid putting something stupid down :)

Well done AC forum personnel!

Shani

Heh.

Try having a meaningful discussion here where you end up defending Apple. The fanboys will come out like vultures or a pack of wolves. The intelligent posts come from those that see there is more than one side to a story - regardless of which site and forum community you're on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It is quite simple. Most android users understand why someone would use an iPhone, hell, many of us have in our own personal lives.

I have seen that from very few people on this forum. And if they think they understand why someone would want to use an iPhone, they'll include digs at iPhone users like "oh they're simple-minded" or "iPhones are just pretty dumbphones" or "iPhone users are missing out on features that are essential because they're all sheep".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, because Android users are all poor (financially) because of their poor taste in anything other than an Apple product. And its not just regular day to day users but bloggers and journalists such as THIS. Such elitism!

It goes both ways. If people are going to assume iPhones are expensive, conversely Android phones must be cheap. Thankfully the prices for end customers are similar.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm a long time iPhone user who moved over here because I upgraded my wife to the S3. Loving all the customization and features you can get on Android phones so now i'm looking to upgrade next year to Android as well.

For the most part i've found debates on here to be fairly civil. We're just talking about phones here, not the cure for cancer. If they work, good for you.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

It goes both ways. If people are going to assume iPhones are expensive, conversely Android phones must be cheap. Thankfully the prices for end customers are similar.

I beg to differ here Ry! There is A LOT more elitist thinking coming from the Apple side. Those are the ones I can't stand! Otherwise, I love my Apple using people.....including yourself! :D

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have seen that from very few people on this forum. And if they think they understand why someone would want to use an iPhone, they'll include digs at iPhone users like "oh they're simple-minded" or "iPhones are just pretty dumbphones" or "iPhone users are missing out on features that are essential because they're all sheep".

I've seen it both ways. I'm a lover of both platforms. If I could afford it, I'd swap between Android and iOS every other day. Some people on AC truly are respectful and understand that iOS is good for Android and vice versa. And know that just because you use an iPhone you aren't less intelligent. However, some people just hate iOS so much that they lump everyone into the same iSheep category if they use iOS and/or prefer it.

The same is very true over at iMore. Some people are very open minded about Android, yet others will put you down for even considering something other than their precious iPhone.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

While some people do blindly defend Android, there is a more elitist attitude from the apple side.

Also, apple devices are not assumed to be more expensive, they ARE more expensive. The current generation iphone msrp is about $150 to $200 more than an equivalent (or better) android phone msrp, both of which are listed without contract. That doesn't mean you couldn't find a more expensive android phone, but you would have to look.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
However, some people just hate iOS so much that they lump everyone into the same iSheep category if they use iOS and/or prefer it. .

And this is what I run into on ANY thread where I end up defending Apple in some way. I've actually had to use the ignore function here because of an Apple thread.

It seems I have to further explain that I have a Motorola DROID Bionic and point to the "post your phone timeline" thread I started in the Android Central Lounge forum. I have never purchased an Apple product for myself. The only Apple product I personally own is a third generation iPod touch only because it was given to me by a previous employer. I never used it for music- mainly used it for games that Android didn't have. Before Google Music, I was a heavy Zune user, both the original Zune (30) and Zune HD.

I'm smart enough to understand that iOS just works as an option for a lot of people. I'm not going to measure one's intelligence by the phone they use. I won't blindly hate a corporation (whose main goal is to take my money) and blindly favor their competition, another corporation (whose main goal is to also take my money).

The hate? The insults? I'll never understand why people let themselves so worked up over a gadget.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I've actually had to use the ignore function here because of an Apple thread.

And according to one mod you also felt the need to report people's posts while you were defending Apple - pretty lame no?

I'll never understand why people let themselves so worked up over a gadget.

Just the same I can ask why you let anti-Apple comments bother you so much that you have to fight to defend Apple to the death and always have to get the last word in.

Just don't be a hypocrite bro ;)

Rev.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just the same I can ask why you let anti-Apple comments bother you so much that you have to fight to defend Apple to the death and always have to get the last word in.

Don't get it twisted. Everyone wants the last word and no one will let a thread die. You'll probably reply to this. And then I could say "you always have to get the last word".