10-05-2012 01:36 PM
84 ... 234
tools
    Well guess that makes it ok then huh....lo.l Seems like specs do matter when the OS's advance, right?

Getting into the details...last time I checked....and like it was pointed out...the iPhone 3G...if thats what you meant....doesnt have full iOS 5. With Android...its all or nothing.....no half stepping. In a way...I agree with both strategies. This is part of what I'm talking about....with Apple put on a pedestal...and Android not given enough credit. And if you take the Nexus One....it went from 2.1..to 2.3, The iPhone 3G went from iOS 4 to 5. When you get into the details....Apple doesnt look all that great...and Android doesnt look all that bad. With MS doing watered down versions of WP....and what Apple does with iOS...I predict Google doing this with Android in the near future. Or making newer versions of Android run better on older hardware. And even if some phones arent updated to newer OS versions....they still can get maintenance updates from the OEMs, sometimes with a new feature here n there.. Thats still support in my book.

Look at how Android changed over the years....from 1.6 to 4.1...compared to iOS. Look at how many iPhones came after the 3 . Apple should be able to update their older phones good. Its a much, much different playing field in Android land. One could look at Nexus phones for an easier comparison. Like I said...I try to be realistic....and not come with hyperbole and exaggerations.

If you meant the 3GS....yes...it has full iOS 5 last time I checked. Look at how the 3G doesnt have full iOS tho. Specs.....do matter.
    Try playing a game optimized for the iPhone 4S or 5 hardware on a 3 or 3GS.....Specs...do matter.
    iOS app devs are already talking about the challenges with working with a bigger screen and updating their apps. Android jumped into the big screen pot in 2010, so this is old news for most Android devs. Specs....seems like they matter.
    When OS's get new features, get more advanced....the specs will always matter. Even Linux on desktops.... Dont have a decent graphics card.....might not get to see alot of the eye candy available.
    Didnt the hardware requirements go up for Windows and OS X over the years with new versions of each OS?

Specs...will always matter. If a company wants their OS to get better, have new features, improve. Isnt that how the OS's get better....by having better hardware to work with? Not saying specs is more important than software....just that they matter. Each new iPhone outselling the previous version also tells this story. Each version...added new specs....that folks just had to have.
    Specs will always get better - which is why I don't think they matter as much. Taking full advantage of the specs matters.

Windows XP minimum specs -

33 MHz (recommended at least 300 MHz) processor
    64 MB of RAM (recommended at least 128 MB of RAM)

Windows Vista minimum specs (ignoring "Vista-capable") -

1 GHz processor
    1 GB of RAM

Windows 7 minium specs 32-bit (64-bit)

1 GHz processor (1 GHz processor)
    1 GB of RAM (2 GB of RAM)

Windows 8 minium specs 32-bit (64-bit)

1 GHz processor (1 GHz processor)
    1 GB of RAM (2 GB of RAM)

..not really much of a dramatic leap in the requirements. Of course, maxing out the specs is going to make the experience better.

If specs were that important, a phone like the iPhone 3GS wouldn't last 3 years. Is there an Android phone launched in the summer of 2009 that was still relevant in the summer of 2012? Nope.

And regarding screen sizes - iOS developer effectively have three sizes to support, two if they don't make an iPad version. That's still way less than the resolutions Android developers need to support and test on.

---------- Post Merged at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:58 PM ----------

So did anyone read the article on Droid Life about the rumored HTC phone with a quad core S4 processor and a full 1080p screen? This thin makes the iPhone 5 look like last decade crap!

Specs do matter to a point and I think what a lot of people on here are missing is it is more than just clock speed and cores, it comes down to the architecture combined with clock speed and cores. This is why a Droid 2 with a 1ghz processor performs well under the Thunderbolt which had the second generation (possibly 3rd, don't remember exactly), better architecture chip. The iPhone 5 is the first phone to offer A15 cores (they're tailored to Apple's specs but they're based on A15 design) which Android in the phone department, doesn't have except for in the upcoming Quad Core S4 such as the above mentioned HTC 1080p phone. Does this mean it can beat a higher clocked 1.5 ghz dual core chip which has become almost standard in Android land? Yes and no, theres really no way to test them directly because whatever testing apps that gice a "score" are almost always skewed and personally I feel as tho Apple is in with the devs of these apps which is why we see such high numbers from iPhones.
    The point is - those specs will continue to evolve. If the core software doesn't catch up, it sort of makes that great hardware irrelevant. Taking full advantage matters.
    09-17-2012 04:00 PM
    Ry,

I agree with what you said....and I see that there are 2 schools of thought in this thread about specs. Its going to be a merry go round about agreeing/disagreeing....lol. All I will say is I agree/disagree with most thats been said.

Bottom line....there are so many good choices for a phone, whether its Apple or Android. I'm even excited about WP. And I hope WP can survive.
    09-17-2012 05:11 PM
    Ry,

I agree with what you said....and I see that there are 2 schools of thought in this thread about specs. Its going to be a merry go round about agreeing/disagreeing....lol. All I will say is I agree/disagree with most thats been said.

Bottom line....there are so many good choices for a phone, whether its Apple or Android. I'm even excited about WP. And I hope WP can survive.
    I should have elaborated better on why I think specs don't matter. lol. - or said "specs don't matter as much" instead.
    09-17-2012 05:27 PM
    So did anyone read the article on Droid Life about the rumored HTC phone with a quad core S4 processor and a full 1080p screen? This thin makes the iPhone 5 look like last decade crap!

Specs do matter to a point and I think what a lot of people on here are missing is it is more than just clock speed and cores, it comes down to the architecture combined with clock speed and cores. This is why a Droid 2 with a 1ghz processor performs well under the Thunderbolt which had the second generation (possibly 3rd, don't remember exactly), better architecture chip. The iPhone 5 is the first phone to offer A15 cores (they're tailored to Apple's specs but they're based on A15 design) which Android in the phone department, doesn't have except for in the upcoming Quad Core S4 such as the above mentioned HTC 1080p phone. Does this mean it can beat a higher clocked 1.5 ghz dual core chip which has become almost standard in Android land? Yes and no, theres really no way to test them directly because whatever testing apps that gice a "score" are almost always skewed and personally I feel as tho Apple is in with the devs of these apps which is why we see such high numbers from iPhones.
    The iPhone 5 doesn't have A15-based cores, and neither does the Snapdragon S4 (any variant, dual or quad core). They are based on the same instruction set (Arm V7), but the actual architecture is custom made by the respective vender (Qualcomm and probably Apple). I say Apple designed it because it's already pretty much a given that the Exynos 5 will be pure A15-based (Samsung has said as much I'm sure).
    09-17-2012 05:29 PM
    Except when my GS3 was stock running ICS was still smoother than your GNex on JB. I know exactly what you need to do to lag your "fast" GNex. Scroll your widget drawer fast on your phone and it will lag. Do that on a GS3 on ICS and it will not. So yes JB is awesome on the GNex because it makes the phone's smoothness bearable. When it was on ICS, the thing was lag city. I mean it can't even run live wall paper smoothly. Really sad actually.
    I can't really speak for the performance of ICS on the G-Nex because my G-Nex (I have the GSM version) almost immediately updated to JB minutes after I turned it on and keyed in my Google accounts. Besides, I don't see how scrolling a widget drawer really fast in any way constitutes what most people consider typical OS usage. My phone operates smoothly in JB with no blatantly noticeable lag, even when multitasking multiple apps. You strike me as the guy who always must have the latest and greatest hardware the second it comes out. Nothing wrong that, if you have the means. But conducting a hardware pissing match does nothing for this discussion. :-)

John Retenger on Techno Buffalo used to praise JB so much on his GNex claiming how smooth and fast it was until he put JB on his GS3, and straight from his mouth, that it wasn't even close. The GS3 just blows the GNex away.
    I don't think anyone here is arguing that the S III isn't faster than the G-Nex. 1.5GHz dual-core Krait/2GB RAM/Adreno 225 > 1.2GHz dual-core OMAP/1GB RAM/SGX 540. But, I wanted to buy my phone outright (with a full warranty) and it came down to $350 vs. $600+. The G-Nex running stock Jelly Bean is fast enough for me. I don't care about Quadrant scores, game fps (not a phone gamer), etc. I care about a smooth user experience and the G-Nex gave it to me for a fair price. To each his own...

If you said hardware didn't matter much, you were lucky you had a epic4g since that was the most powerful 1 ghz phone aval. That was why it could run ICS while S1, and omap powered phones lagged hard. You can always improve software, but hardware is unchangable. Your GNex is pretty much maxed out already.
    I never said hardware didn't matter much, because it does, provided that the hardware is being put to good use by the software (and that isn't always the case). And yes, I bought the Epic 4G 2 years ago because at the time, simple research proved that it was one of the most powerful phones available on Sprint AND it was a slider (I was very used to hard keyboards, coming from Palm devices). But the Epic became a very pokey and unstable device after the Froyo to GB update and I had to resort to rooting and a file system conversion to make those problems (mostly) go away. That phone was force-close city before I flashed CM7 (and I later transitioned to CM9 to get ICS). Perhaps the S III in its stock form with official software updates don't have this same problem. If that's the case (I don't know for sure because I don't own one), bravo.
    10-04-2012 02:24 AM
    This "mythical" smooth as butter UI on the iPhone legend is getting old. Watch a video and hit the "home" button, chug, chug, chug. Watch a video, hit the home button, and swipe to the next screen. Chug, chug, chug. Every OS stutters at some point, and every OS has app crashes. iOS actually has more than Android, it's just that you see them on Android. On the iPhone you don't, you just go back to the home screen. Remember the red "X"s where flash content used to be displayed on Safari? The way Apple filters out flash pages? At least Google is honest enough to show you that you need flash when you navigate to a webpage with flash while using Chrome.

I guess this nugget of information about the jury foreman in the Apple vs Samsung patent trial will cause a contraction in the GDP?

http://goo.gl/AxhaX

Failure to disclose information during jury selection is not good.
    10-04-2012 07:22 AM
    This "mythical" smooth as butter UI on the iPhone legend is getting old. Watch a video and hit the "home" button, chug, chug, chug. Watch a video, hit the home button, and swipe to the next screen. Chug, chug, chug. Every OS stutters at some point, and every OS has app crashes. iOS actually has more than Android, it's just that you see them on Android. On the iPhone you don't, you just go back to the home screen. Remember the red "X"s where flash content used to be displayed on Safari? The way Apple filters out flash pages? At least Google is honest enough to show you that you need flash when you navigate to a webpage with flash while using Chrome.

I guess this nugget of information about the jury foreman in the Apple vs Samsung patent trial will cause a contraction in the GDP?

http://goo.gl/AxhaX

Failure to disclose information during jury selection is not good.
    iOS hasn't displayed a red x ever. It always displays the generic OSX plugin icon.

That nugget won't do anything. Samsung will have to prove it had an effect, and that they didn't know about it beforehand. The verge has a great analysis of why Samsung won't get far with this argument.
    10-04-2012 10:06 PM
    Wrong. I had the iPhone 3G and that was the behavior it exhibited. Have you read the brief filed by Samsung? The foreman was asked by the judge if he had been involved in any litigation (i.e., sued himself, etc) and he only stated one instance. There was no "10 year" limit mentioned in the judge's question. So, he basically didn't answer the judge's questions truthfully. Do you honestly believe that a verdict that is reached by a jury that "didn't need the jury instructions" is fair? Have you ever heard of Groklaw? Go look it up.

BTW, I looked at all of your posts and you are an obvious Apple acolyte whose sole purpose is to stalk the threads on this site. Do you feel that you are some missionary out to educate the heathens? Stop trolling.
    10-05-2012 01:34 PM
    I'm looking at an iPad right now, and it does not (nor has it ever) displayed a red x for flash content.
    10-05-2012 01:36 PM
84 ... 234