12-16-2012 06:11 PM
78 123 ...
tools
    From surfing the forum for a few days, I can see that you guys express mild hatred towards the i-phone in general so I need someone completely bias. I've never been into smart phones (I know, I've been living in a cave) but I think it's time I finally go mainstream. If it was the I-Phone 4G/S or whatever VS S3 I would have automatically went with the S3. However, with the i-phone 5 revealed and all should I wait a week or so and purchase that? I just want the most for my money, and I want it to last the longest (in style and technology wise) I'd hate to get the S3 and then bam S4 or something comes out. The i-phone 5 is appealing because it's the newest of its phone, and so is the S3 but I'm afraid something new might hit the market and I'll regret. Thanks!

Looking at all aspects, i-phone 5 or galaxy s3?
    09-12-2012 03:00 PM
    Galaxy S3 hands down. More features than any iPhone. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    lv2bsilly and deadlypoke like this.
    09-12-2012 03:05 PM
    ....I've never been into smart phones.....
    With this statement here, I would suggest you go with the ip5. It is the BEST for beginners into the smartphone world such as yourself!
    09-12-2012 03:07 PM
    I've had the 4s and now I have the Galaxy S3. The only reason I switched is because of the bigger screen. The "bigger" screen on the new iPhone is not significant enough for me to want to go back. Essentially they are the same though, as far as apps go. Yes you can customize it, but the functionality isn't that much different for me. So it just depends on what ecosystem you want to buy into.
    funkylogik and deadlypoke like this.
    09-12-2012 03:08 PM
    Thank you for the good answers..

I might go with AT&T as far as phone carriers go, and I'm not sure if you any of you guys use AT&T but if you guys do..

There are different data plans, (no longer can I get unlimited I believe) will the $30 a month 3GB be enough? Will I ever run out if I use it heavy?

- - - Updated - - -

With this statement here, I would suggest you go with the ip5. It is the BEST for beginners into the smartphone world such as yourself!
    Haha. I know it's very odd that this is my first smart phone given they have been out for quite some time now.. honestly, even though I don't own a smartphone I am generally a tech savvy person with building computers and being a desktop support and technician in the working world.
    09-12-2012 03:24 PM
    I'm on AT&T and switched from iPhone to the Galaxy S3 and I really must say I love my S3! I don't hate on iPhone's, that was my first smart phone and I don't regret it. But I really wanted something different and not as boring as my iPhone was becoming.
    I was grandfathered in so I have unlimited everything (as long as I keep a smartphone), I cant say how much you'd use but the sales rep should be able to work that out with you and come up with a estimate on how much you're probably going to use.
    Good luck and I hope you are happy with whatever choice you make!

Sent from my fantastically awesome Garnet Red GS3!
    deadlypoke likes this.
    09-12-2012 03:27 PM
    I wish the i-phone 5 was redesigned a lot better than it is.. if it looked a lot more exciting and new it would have been more luring.. haha

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the specs go, are they both pretty much close to each other?
    09-12-2012 03:43 PM
    Thank you for the good answers..

I might go with AT&T as far as phone carriers go, and I'm not sure if you any of you guys use AT&T but if you guys do..

There are different data plans, (no longer can I get unlimited I believe) will the $30 a month 3GB be enough? Will I ever run out if I use it heavy?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. I know it's very odd that this is my first smart phone given they have been out for quite some time now.. honestly, even though I don't own a smartphone I am generally a tech savvy person with building computers and being a desktop support and technician in the working world.
    I recommend wifi when ever possible. I have unlimited and have used like 300mb this month and 5 days left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    09-12-2012 03:43 PM
    I agree with the other posts. My wife is a iPhone fan and jump at the opportunity to get one a few years back, while I desperately held on to the old Windows Mobile platform (Pocket PC) and then eventually migrated over Android. When I first came over to Android I really wasn't too excited about it (mostly because I didn't understand it) and envied my wife's iPhone. I continued to use Android and learned that I liked both Android phones and iPhones for different reasons.

Now that I have the Samsung Galaxy S III, I am very happy with Android and now my wife envies my SGS3 over her iPhone 4S. And with iPhone 5's official announcement, my wife decided she is not going to get the iPhone 5 but wants the SGS3 too. As a matter of fact we are going to get the Garnet Red SGS3 tomorrow after work.

I don't see anything wrong either OS and there are benefits to both. It really boils down to personal preference. If you decide to go the way of Android, I highly suggest the SGS3, I think it's an excellent device and you won't be disappointed. However, if you decided the iPhone is for you, I think you could go one of two ways. First and foremost, get the iPhone 5, after all it is the latest and great device from Apple. But if cost is a major factor for you, might I suggest getting the iPhone 4S for $99 and just update it with iOS 6 then you will essentially have the iPhone 5... minus LTE, slightly larger screen, and a few other features, but nothing you would miss (being your first smartphone). Bear in mind most carriers offer a 15-30 day exchange policy, so if one doesn't work out for you, try the other.
    09-12-2012 03:45 PM
    One question, how heavily are you invested in the Apple universe? Macs, iTunes songs, videos, etc? If you're already tech savvy, I'd say the Galaxy S3 is a much better option. IMHO ICS has easily caught up with iOS in terms of ease of use and you get things like NFC and MicroSD cards, along with ubiquitous Micro USB cables and USB to go support.

Also the S3 won't be replaced any time soon, Samsung isn't even releasing the next OS upgrade (Jelly Bean) until next month and who knows when US customers actually see it.
    funkylogik and deadlypoke like this.
    09-12-2012 03:48 PM
    Bear in mind most carriers offer a 15-30 day exchange policy, so if one doesn't work out for you, try the other.
    Wait, so you're saying.. I can pick up the Galaxy S3 today and if I do not like it after trying it and the I-phone 5 comes out I can just swap phones?

- - - Updated - - -

One question, how heavily are you invested in the Apple universe? Macs, iTunes songs, videos, etc? If you're already tech savvy, I'd say the Galaxy S3 is a much better option. IMHO ICS has easily caught up with iOS in terms of ease of use and you get things like NFC and MicroSD cards, along with ubiquitous Micro USB cables and USB to go support.

Also the S3 won't be replaced any time soon, Samsung isn't even releasing the next OS upgrade (Jelly Bean) until next month and who knows when US customers actually see it.
    Will the S3 get Jelly Bean as well?

And I own a built I7 Windows desktop but I also own an Apple Macbook Pro (only apple device I have but I love it for the most part)
    09-12-2012 03:51 PM

That's pretty cool that you can do that with your S3..

If I get an S3 and update it with that Jellybean and the official launches, would it be the same as the release? Or would it cause problems?

(this just makes me want an S3 > iphone5 now lol)
    riderrick65 likes this.
    09-12-2012 03:54 PM
    The S3 will be getting an official Jellybean update this October. That's probably for the international version, US carriers usually require additional testing so expect it a few months afterwards.
    09-12-2012 04:32 PM
    An hour or so I was dead-on about just getting the i-phone 5 but now looking at the S3... it'd be nice to use an SD card and love how android updates often and etc.. lol. Man, why must I be in this difficult predicament.
    09-12-2012 04:33 PM
    Well I'll put my two cents in here also. After owning the iPhone 3G for 4 years, and having my sexy garnet red GS3 for a bit over month now, I feel qualified to say this: Apple products cost too much and use marketing to brainwash the world into thinking their devices are superior. After reading the information about the iPhone 5, I felt I made the right choice with the GS3. With the exception of outdoor viewing of the screen, a HALF INCH increase in size to the industry's SMALLEST screen is ridiculous. And increasing the speed of the processor and browser is also outdated by just about every Andriod device. Am sure the new features in iOS 6 are nice, but with Jelly Bean coming to our phones in the next few months, it will make iOS 6 look mundane. I LOVE the big *** screen on my phone and how fast it is. I also LOVE the Swiftkey keyboard which saves me TONS of time typing since it's prediction engine is almost psychic, LOL. Apple has nothing like that nor do they have the great motion gestures Sammy built into this. When you're texting and want to call your friend, you just raise the phone to your ear and it dials. You can also just turn the phone over to mute the ringer when getting a call, etc, etc.. I didn't hear any features in iOS 6 that come near this, not to mention CHOICE of colors, microSD, REMOVABLE battery that's also BIGGER and more..

So there you have it.. Choose the Apple ecosystem which is based on how much they will squeeze you for, or "the next biggest thing" which has been out since May. Also remember that all app updates are automatic on the GS3 so you don't have to worry if they're up to date.. I could go on but I think that's plenty.
    09-12-2012 05:52 PM
    With the exception of outdoor viewing of the screen
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean the i-phone 5's ability to shoot panoramic photos? I thought the S5 could already do that as well?

And do you really think that Jellybean will blow iOS6 in the wind?

Thank you again for everyone's quick and useful responses.. I might just pick up the S3 tomorrow if I can make up my mind.
    09-12-2012 06:05 PM
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean the i-phone 5's ability to shoot panoramic photos? I thought the S5 could already do that as well?

And do you really think that Jellybean will blow iOS6 in the wind?

Thank you again for everyone's quick and useful responses.. I might just pick up the S3 tomorrow if I can make up my mind.
    The s3's screen isn't great in direct sunlight...a bit hard to see.

And yes on Jellybean. Heck even Gingerbread (3 Android versions ago) had most of the features. It's no contest with ICS and Jellybean will widen the gap even more.

Where would you get it from? A lot of places will have a 30 day return policy, so you can always try it out and return if you don't like it.
    deadlypoke likes this.
    09-12-2012 06:12 PM
    The s3's screen isn't great in direct sunlight...a bit hard to see.

And yes on Jellybean. Heck even Gingerbread (3 Android versions ago) had most of the features. It's no contest with ICS and Jellybean will widen the gap even more.

Where would you get it from? A lot of places will have a 30 day return policy, so you can always try it out and return if you don't like it.
    I will be getting it at AT&T. Signing a new contact so I will get the S3 for $200, not sure if I return it I'll still be able to get the I-phone 5 for the $200 new contract price.

Only thinking of precautions but as I can tell, I think I'll prefer the S3 and love it more than I would the I-phone 5.
    09-12-2012 06:17 PM
    I was in the same predicament as you a while back. didnt know if i should get the iphone 5 or galaxy s3. Well my phone broke 2 weeks ago so that made up my mind on the s3! I must say after seeing people with 4s's I cant help but laugh! They're screens look tiny compared to the gorgeous 4.8 on the s3. Yes the iphone 5 has a 4 inch screen but still. I think the s3 also is wider. I love everything, absolutely no lag, apps are amazing, camera is super fast and is pretty dang clear. You get the pop out video player, plus like jon said all the different movements that make things happen like text to call by just putting it next to your head, swiping your hand across the screen to take a picture of the screen. 4g is super fast. Not sure about itunes but we get swype, emulators, and soon i believe we will be able to buy wireless phone chargers and most everything is free in the play store compared to apple who charges for everything! If it were me i would get the s3 hands down. With the announcement of the iphone 5 its pretty much a downgraded s3. Panorama, 4 inch screen, 4g, nice try apple
    deadlypoke likes this.
    09-12-2012 06:21 PM
    I must say I so enjoy my galaxy s3 a ton! Not to say the iphone 5 won't be a good phone. But as an s3 owner this thing does not disappoint. You have massive storage with the sd cards the screen is so bright and crisp and if you turn up the brightness its easy to see outdoors. The Internet browser is so fast especially on wifi or 4G it keeps up with my $700 laptop. Games and apps launch and run smoothly you won't have to worry about lag with this beast. The camera is fantastic I use it more than my digital camera because the pictures are so crisp. Testing is a breeze especially with swift key 3. I could never text on an iphone its painful compared to testing with the s3. This phone is truly awesome with customizing the thing that worried me with the iphone is I would be so limited even with apps. And all these features will get better with jelly bean I strongly recconebt the s3 but it's all preference good luck shopping!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    deadlypoke likes this.
    09-12-2012 06:23 PM
    S3 it is! I was reading somewhere that the price jumped down to $99 (with new contract) but can't find it anywhere??
    09-12-2012 06:27 PM
    Good decision! It was on sale on Amazon yesterday for $99 I'm not sure if the deal is still going on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    deadlypoke likes this.
    09-12-2012 06:33 PM
    09-12-2012 06:34 PM
    There she is best phone on the market for an unbelievable price Buy it tonight for sure while that deal is still around!
    09-12-2012 06:37 PM
    tbh it depends how "into" your phone you are mate, how important customisation is to you and how tech minded you are.
    the iphone will probably hold its value better and get firmware updates for years to come.
    if ur a bit more geeky, experimental and indevidual then go for an android.
    also once you start buying apple content, youll be stuck in that eco-system and have the choice of one phone per year whereas with android theres 100s of phones and your content follows you around via your google login details.
    what is it that you want out of a smartphone that a dumbphone cant do?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    09-12-2012 09:00 PM
78 123 ...