This really sucks

weplant

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy s3...I really don't need so much of a phone, but of course thought it was pretty:-*
I am not a heavy phone user, very light..Probobly 2 or 3 short calls a day, maybe a text or two and thats it...
What is with this battery...I turn it on at 9:00 am and by 6:00pm I am already in the yellow and sometimes red.
I charge it every night..But, boy , if I actually used it during the day, I would be out of battery in a couple of hours.

I have turned off the wi-fi, blue tooth, etc., I have installed juice defender. Is there a way to have it run on 3g instead of 4g.
I am really tech challenged, but could really use some help...thanks, debbie

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's really odd. i use my GS3 all day, generally with both WiFi and mobile data on, live and work in a 4G area, make loads of calls, use GPS to track runs or mtn bike rides after work, browse the net, etc, and I'm always >30% at bedtime.

Perhaps the problem is that you're in an area/building with marginal 4G signal, so your phone is using tons of power trying to keep a lock. I suppose you're asking the right question (is there a way to turn off 4G?) I haven't tried this myself, but try this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/188503-here-how-turn-off-4g.html

Good luck, & let us know whether it works!

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
You will want to use Wi-Fi whenever possible, instead of mobile data. So if you have Wi-Fi at home or work, make sure you connect to those, and it will keep the phone from using 4g or 3g for data.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You are probably in a fringe area. If cellular reception is weak it will kill your battery at a ridiculous speed.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy s3...I really don't need so much of a phone, but of course thought it was pretty:-*
I am not a heavy phone user, very light..Probobly 2 or 3 short calls a day, maybe a text or two and thats it...
What is with this battery...I turn it on at 9:00 am and by 6:00pm I am already in the yellow and sometimes red.
I charge it every night..But, boy , if I actually used it during the day, I would be out of battery in a couple of hours.

I have turned off the wi-fi, blue tooth, etc., I have installed juice defender. Is there a way to have it run on 3g instead of 4g.
I am really tech challenged, but could really use some help...thanks, debbie

never thought id see myself write this but do yourself a huge favour, sell the phone and buy a much prettyer, cheaper, dumber phone! why do u need the 2nd most powerful pocket android device to use just as a phone?? return it for a replacement before selling though as its a faulty device/battery ;)

ps use "power saving" mode in the meantime. i seariously doubt youll notice any difference other than extended battery life

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
If you weren't ready or interested in a smartphone you should have just got a nice dumb phone and a tablet or ipod touch to play with at home.

If the S3 is too advanced for you take it back and get a $99 iphone 4s or free iphone 4 to get your toes wet. Those phones are made specifically for beginners.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

georgetanner

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Grab a good battery monitoring app that should show you exactly what is draining your juice.

GSam Battery Monitor (full disclosure - I'm the author) or Better battery stats will get you what you need to know!

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
You should also look at the Battery settings to see what's draining the battery the most. Are you using a US carrier or Intl version? I get AMAZING battery life with my phone.

Am willing to bet that your gallery is syncing constantly which will show up in Settings>Battery. If it is, you need to disable the syncing. The biggest user should be idle.. Also turn off auto brightness on your screen. On low usage periods I can go over 2 days before needing to charge with WiFi ON, Bluetooth OFF, GPS ON. I also use Juice Defender and did a battery calibration process when I first got my phone about 5 weeks ago.

weplant

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply...I live in Napa, CA. and I think it is a very weak 4g area...We just got 4g a couple of w eeks ago, also I live out in the country and probobly not the strongest signal. Maybe that is the problem. So, I will check out how to switch it over to 3g. I will turn the syncing off (what will happen when I do, will I still be able to use my calender, etc.), told you I was tech stupid. also, someone said to use wi-fi instead of mobile data if I have wifi at home. At home I have wireless internet, is that what you mean? I guess I should go take a class on how to use my phone.
I just want to get this battery problem under control..thanks so much, debbie

weplant

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's really odd. i use my GS3 all day, generally with both WiFi and mobile data on, live and work in a 4G area, make loads of calls, use GPS to track runs or mtn bike rides after work, browse the net, etc, and I'm always >30% at bedtime.

Perhaps the problem is that you're in an area/building with marginal 4G signal, so your phone is using tons of power trying to keep a lock. I suppose you're asking the right question (is there a way to turn off 4G?) I haven't tried this myself, but try this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/188503-here-how-turn-off-4g.html

Good luck, & let us know whether it works!

Hi..thanks for the reply..I downloaded the app and switched it to 3g..we will see what happens..Now I need to know how to switch it back to 3g if necessary...I hope this does not void my warranty....thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21