Need some help, how to transfer files from old microSD to new one?

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
What is the best way to do this?

I have tried using MTP mode and for some reason, the phone stops communicating with my laptop. I am currently trying to go directly from the sd card to the new on in the phone.

I figured for music, I would just resync.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
use a card reader. place contents of old card on desktop (pc) place new card in card reader and then drag files onto new card.

You may need to reinstall or update drivers if your computer stops communicating with the phone. Are you using the supplied USB cable and not another that was ment for a different device?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive just ordered a new sd so this is of interest. all id add is put the new sd in the phone and format it before doin anything.
my gf has a v cheap usb micro sd reader.. is it worth buying a more expensive one for better speed or will it make no difference?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the stock cable that came with the phone. I got some of my stuff over there, but its still not working very well (no album art for some reason). So I'll try the whole drag and drop method and see how that works for me.

I just wanted more than the 8gb I had before, but I did get a fairly high quality 32gb Sandisk card to replace the old one. Not sure I really need the faster read/write speeds, but it will be nice.

ETA: this is the one I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XZM6VG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the stock cable that came with the phone. I got some of my stuff over there, but its still not working very well (no album art for some reason). So I'll try the whole drag and drop method and see how that works for me.

I just wanted more than the 8gb I had before, but I did get a fairly high quality 32gb Sandisk card to replace the old one. Not sure I really need the faster read/write speeds, but it will be nice.

ETA: this is the one I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XZM6VG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

thats the exact one ive ordered mate (?17 on amazon UK so you got a much better price than me grr ;) )
im just gona use the card reader way and keep the phone out of the equasion. how long does it take for say a 1gb movie to move from your old sd to the pc mate?
my old class4 8gb sd is full of music and some of my internal memory so it'l be good to get it all on the 32gb card :) was tempted to get 64gb but the price was just too much higher

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
thats the exact one ive ordered mate (?17 on amazon UK so you got a much better price than me grr ;) )
im just gona use the card reader way and keep the phone out of the equasion. how long does it take for say a 1gb movie to move from your old sd to the pc mate?
my old class4 8gb sd is full of music and some of my internal memory so it'l be good to get it all on the 32gb card :) was tempted to get 64gb but the price was just too much higher

Should only take about 2 or 3 minutes, if that. Still don't have my album art working right. It's on the phone, just not showing up in play music.

Edit to add: I went back and cleaned up some of the files and folders and re-synced and now the album covers are there.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Should only take about 2 or 3 minutes, if that. Still don't have my album art working right. It's on the phone, just not showing up in play music.

Edit to add: I went back and cleaned up some of the files and folders and re-synced and now the album covers are there.

cool. u can also use a file explorer to move ANY picture into the same folder as an album or tune and it'l become the art ;)
if you have like a single tune with no art, just make a folder within your main music folder, name it, add the tune to it and copy or move any pic you download or whatever into same folder
(useful for stuff you download illegaly or from youtube)

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
cool. u can also use a file explorer to move ANY picture into the same folder as an album or tune and it'l become the art ;)
if you have like a single tune with no art, just make a folder within your main music folder, name it, add the tune to it and copy or move any pic you download or whatever into same folder
(useful for stuff you download illegaly or from youtube)

I tried putting the pic in with the music, but I think that in the process of me trying a few different ways to move the stuff to the new card it all got discombobulated. So I just went back and deleted all the music folders, and moved some others around to streamline everything, then re-synced my music and it worked.