i installed it coz i read it was one of the best, i already have Zoner and AVG Antivirus.
    just noticed Avast is using 8.5% of my battery!!
    is this normal?
    is it worth keeping?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    09-17-2012 11:25 AM
    just read the reviews from other s3 users on play store and battery use does seem a problem.
    uninstalled

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    09-17-2012 11:42 AM
    I use it on my phone and the battery usage is minimal on my ATT version. Not sure what Zoner or AVG Antivirus is but if you're saying you have all 3 on your phone, that seems a bit extreme.
    09-17-2012 01:10 PM
    yeah they just scan apps for malware, advertising and security risks and alert you. they hardly register in my battery use though.
    check the avast playstore page, tap to get more reviews then tap the top right option to select reviews only from people with same device and youll see quite a few people mention batt use.
    maybe its because i install/uninstall so many apps that my battery use is so high but i cant afford 8.5% so its gone

09-17-2012 04:51 PM
    TrustGo and Dr. Web Light, really good, full time protection, loss/theft utilities in TrustGo. I haven't used my phone hardly at since yesterday and I'm at 85%/ They're both really easy on the ole battery.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-18-2012 12:37 AM
    yeah they just scan apps for malware, advertising and security risks and alert you.
    Just tried Avast:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...XNlY3VyaXR5Il0.
    and AVG:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bnRpdmlydXMiXQ..
    and Zoner AntiVirus Free on my Nexus 7.

Transferred the German Bundestrojaner ( the original uncleaned malware was downloadable there:
    CCC | Chaos Computer Club analysiert Staatstrojaner
    but obviously they cleaned the package now), which is found by the desktop programs
    of AVG and Avast, to my Nexus 7 with WiFi File Transfer, scanned the SD card and all three programs did NOT find anything. :-(
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-09-2012 04:20 AM
    Just tried Avast:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...XNlY3VyaXR5Il0.
    and AVG:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bnRpdmlydXMiXQ..
    and Zoner AntiVirus Free on my Nexus 7.

Transferred the German Bundestrojaner ( the original uncleaned malware was downloadable there:
    CCC | Chaos Computer Club analysiert Staatstrojaner
    but obviously they cleaned the package now), which is found by the desktop programs
    of AVG and Avast, to my Nexus 7 with WiFi File Transfer, scanned the SD card and all three programs did NOT find anything. :-(
    hmm thats not good. hopefully your phone will have sent feedback to the devs that they can learn from?
    have you found an android app that does detect it?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-09-2012 04:35 AM
    I don't notice a difference when I have it on or off. I'd spare 10 minutes of battery life to find my lost or stolen phone.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-09-2012 06:15 PM
    hmm thats not good. hopefully your phone will have sent feedback to the devs that they can learn from?
    have you found an android app that does detect it?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    Maybe these antivirus apps on Android devices do not detect viruses in tar.gz-Files as the Bundestrojaner is packed as
    Bundestrojaner_0zapftis-release.tar.gz

I wrote them (all 3) an email.

Just tested once more with the eicar testfile from here:
    Download EICAR - European Expert Group for IT-Security
    Transferred eicarcom2.zip via WiFi File Transfer again.
    Avast failed,
    AVG said that content scan has detected a viurs.
    Zoner fails.

So for the moment AVG stays on my Nexus although it does not detect all. :-(
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-09-2012 06:19 PM
    lookout barely uses any of my battery

Best combination out there is Lookout, android lost, and LBE privacy inspector, PERFECT
    10-09-2012 06:32 PM
    TrustGo and Dr. Web Light, really good, full time protection...

See also:
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/2f00...is/1349825770/
    and
    Download Bundestrojaner_0zapftis-release.tar.gz from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
    (be aware that the last link might cause problems on your desktop ).

Of course all of the AV apps had a database/av sig update before I let them run as far as this was enabled by the app.

Tested TrustGo: did not detect Bundestrojaner or eicarcom2.zip.

Dr Web Light with "Dateien in Archiven" on and SD-Karte on: finds "EICAR Test File (NOT a Virus!)" as with DrWeb in https://www.virustotal.com
    but it does not find the Bundestrojaner. :-(

Kaspersky Mobile Security Lite is not compatible with Nexus 7, only the version for 10.05EUR seems to be for Nexus,
    and I won't buy that currently.

Avira Free Android Security is not compatible with Nexus 7.

Norton Mobile Security Lite does find the eicarcom2.zip but not the Bundestrojaner.

G Data AntiVirus Free does find the Eicar test file but not the Bundestrojaner.

IKARUS mobile.security LITE finds the Eicar test file but not the Bundestrojaner.

Lookout Security & Antivirus needed some useless registration that I did not want therefore I did not test it.

Hopefully all the deinstalls of these AV apps is done correctly. Is there a way to clean up the
    filesystem from unneeded files?
    10-09-2012 07:22 PM
    I don't notice a difference when I have it on or off. I'd spare 10 minutes of battery life to find my lost or stolen phone.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    yeah i use Androidlost for that mate plus the native samsung thing

10-09-2012 09:46 PM