URGENT questions regarding the Samsung Galaxy S3!!!(please respond)

classman5677

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Currently I have a crappy phone that that is under the Tmobile network . I have a prepaid type of plan with the phone. So I just add minutes whenever it's about to go.

A few weeks back after doing some(but not everything as you can see) research, decided to save up to get the Samsung Galaxy S3. As it was time for a good smart phone. I was originally planning on getting the international version.
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S III/S3 GT-I9300 Factory Unlocked Phone - International Version (Pebble Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

But a day ago, I just realized and looked closely. The international version cannot support 3g for Tmobile. Tmobile has been okay where I live, and I haven't really had any issues. Although I dont have the $ to continue to be under the 3g plan(which is why i haven't gotten it yet) , in the future I might go to 3g. Atleast this option is still there..or so I originally thought... Whats worse is that apparently, if I wanted to switch to another carrier, i wouldn't be able to go to Verizon or sprint. The only other good option would be AT&T(which from what i've heard, it gets its critisims)

At this point, i'm like "WTF"? Then WTF is the point in getting the international version? Then I remembered that for Amazon, its generally under amazon prime and fullfilled by amazon. so it comes in only 2-3 days, and amazon customer support is reliable.

So at this point, I do a look around at the USA version of the Samsung Galaxy S3. Apparently it has 2g of ram, and has LTE support. And it's apparently better than the international version However, I have some big questions regarding the USA S3
1. If I do get the USA version of it, is 3g supported for the USA version, for Tmobile? So in the future if I stay under Tmobile, and decide to want to upgrade to 3g, doing so wont be an issue for the USA Samsung Galaxy S3 right?

2. Lets say, I decide to switch carriers. For the international version, I heard that verizon nor sprint are options. However, are Verizon and sprint options if the phone is unlocked for the US version?

Say that I get an unlocked USA Samsung Galaxy S3. If I'm on tmobile for awhile, and then decide to switch carriers or w/e, can I switch to Verizon or Sprint on a US Samsung Galaxy S3? Or would I never be able to do this?

#3 and the most important question: WHERE THE HELL DO I GET AN UNLOCKED US SAMSUNG GALAXY S3? Sorry for the caps, but I cant seem to find it?

I checked on Amazon
Amazon.com: Used and New: Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 SGH-I747 Blue AT&T 4G LTE Unlocked Cell Phone No Contract No Warranty - AT&T Logos [Carrier Retail Packaging]

But it has no warranty, and it's $635. Not even fullfilled by Amazon. I've checked on google, yet I cant seem to find any unlocked US Samsung Galaxy S3's from a good and reliable site and from a reliable seller that has the warranty available. So at this point,where do I get an unlocked(NOT ROOTED) Samsung Galaxy S3? I do not want to be under any contract , yet while I see unlocked international versions, I cant seem to find unlocked US versions with the warranty?

Are there even any benefits to getting the international version over the US version, in my situation? Please help :(

Last edited:

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
AT&T and T-Mobile phones use SIM cards and can be used on either network as long as the phones are unlocked. The phones are 3G and 4G capable with AT&T having LTE. If you get a phone from AT&T and are able to get it unlocked, you can use on T-Mobile but will only get Edge (slow speed). The reverse is true. To unlock the phone you can buy a locked version then Google for unlock codes for your S3. You'll probably have to pay for that. You cannot use Sprint on Verizon and vice versa. You cannot use Sprint and Verizon on AT&T or TMobile.

classman5677

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
mhmmm I see. So out of all the carriers, only the samsung Galaxy S3 for Att + Tmobile have the ability for you to switch sim cards with each other?

And let me get this straight for your other answer..:)

1.If you get an unlocked ATT SamsungGalaxy S3 , you can use your Tmobile sim card on it. However, you will only get "Edge" which is the slowest? which means that there is no way you can ever get 3g, 4g, or even LTE? Which makes the whole thing moot with a T mobile type of plan?(but you'll get 3g,4g,LTE if you have an ATT type of plan for your ATT phone)

While... if you get an unlocked Tmobile SamsungGalaxyS3, and a tmobile type of plan, you'll have 3g, 4g, and LTE right? But if you have an ATT sim card and you put it on your Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S3, you'll only get edge too? Or would you still have 3g,4g, and LTE on a Tmobile SGS3, regardless if it's ATT or not?

Or is it just that having a tmobile plan in general, wont work specifically with the SamsungGalaxy S3, in regards to having 3g, 4g, and LTE capabilities?

2 .Ah, so in a way you can say that Sprint and Verizon SamsungGalaxy S3 are half locked?(as in, you probably wont be in a contract if you buy it at full price,but you will never be able to switch carriers on those specific phones?)

3. Just curious, but in your opinion, would you recoomend I stay on Tmobile? Or switch to ATT? In the future if I ever want to get 3g/4g/LTE plans. Basically, what would you do in my situation?

Sorry for the Q's, just trying to make everything all clear and be 100% sure before spending money on a $500+ phone.:)

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
A1.T-Mobile phone does not have LTE radio so even having it unlocked on AT&T it will not give you LTE. On xda forum someone said they were able to get the S3 to work on AT&T HSPA + (4G) by adjusting the APN settings. Go on xda forums under T-Mobile or AT&T and you'll get some answers to your questions. T-Mobile S3 unlocked on AT&T - xda-developers
A2. Answer is yes in US. Outside US the phones can be used on other networks. I think a call to Verizon or Sprint is needed before this can happen.
A3. If T-Mobile coverage is sufficient for you, then stick with them. AT&T has a larger coverage area and they have already deployed LTE. T-Mobile’s LTE will not go live until 2013 but the GS3 does not have LTE radios on it. T-Mobile’s current 4G HSPA+ is OK for some people but not others. So it basically boils down to which carrier will provide you the coverage you need. I paid full retail for my S3 on T-Mobile. Coverage for me is very spotty but I HATE AT&T so I suck it up. Sprint or Verizon are never an option because they are not GSM.

Chris1283

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had Samsung Note 2 locked to At&T.I unlocked At&T and inserted T-mobile Sim.Everything work fine but on T-mobile it gets edge on data...what is reason for same...??

My freind had samsung galaxy 2 and he gets 3g speed...and i am stuck to 2g...I want to use this phone in london with o2 service provider will it be possible??

A1.T-Mobile phone does not have LTE radio so even having it unlocked on AT&T it will not give you LTE. On xda forum someone said they were able to get the S3 to work on AT&T HSPA + (4G) by adjusting the APN settings. Go on xda forums under T-Mobile or AT&T and you'll get some answers to your questions. T-Mobile S3 unlocked on AT&T - xda-developers
A2. Answer is yes in US. Outside US the phones can be used on other networks. I think a call to Verizon or Sprint is needed before this can happen.
A3. If T-Mobile coverage is sufficient for you, then stick with them. AT&T has a larger coverage area and they have already deployed LTE. T-Mobile?s LTE will not go live until 2013 but the GS3 does not have LTE radios on it. T-Mobile?s current 4G HSPA+ is OK for some people but not others. So it basically boils down to which carrier will provide you the coverage you need. I paid full retail for my S3 on T-Mobile. Coverage for me is very spotty but I HATE AT&T so I suck it up. Sprint or Verizon are never an option because they are not GSM.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
all i can input is that HSPA+ is 3g, not 4g.
dont let carrier terms confuse or fool u ;)

Unbranded Global s3, Official JB, Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

keke27

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy s3 im selling but a sprint phone

- - - Updated - - -

I have a galaxy s3 im selling but a sprint phone

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why not the Galaxy Nexus 4? That would seem to be an ideal solution for you on T-Mobile, and it's cheaper to boot. Plus you'd be running native Google with the latest OS updates immediately available.

If I weren't locked in to Verizon that's the way I'd go, and to hell with 4G - it was blazing fast when I first got the HTC Thunderbolt, but as more and more people signed up for 4G it's become slower than molasses.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Benjamin Boone

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just unlocked my art sgs3 and had it put on tmobile. I didn't have data for a few days. After calling 611 they rest their connection and boom! 4g at 13 mbs. If you want an att phone on tmobile, you can get 4g speeds.

CriticTechie

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
1. Called 611 ? It redirects it to TMobile Customer Service number at 800-
2. I told them my problem , i.e that my unlocked phone dosent work/use 4g network.
3. I told them that I found this information by Benjamin on this URL :
a. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...garding-samsung-galaxy-s3-please-respond.html
4. The CSR told me that she will help make the changes and asked me what my data network showed at this point?
5. I informed her that the Data network icon had vanished from the status bar on the top?.
6. She asked me to restart, promising to call me back to check on the same?
7. When I restarted, I was still seeing ?E?
8. I waited for her call? which never happened!
9. I didn?t get a call back from the first lady.
10. I called them back?
11. A lady called Jenny
12. Technical department for Prepaid: 611 ? Automated system should transfer me to Technical department.
13. James in Tmobile 4g
14. He transferred me over to Technical Support.
15. Jenny picked up... I ran them
a. Imei : ?? : I gave it to her
b. Check the settings on the Phone?
c. She apparently Refreshed Connection to Tmobile network?
d. Shutdown, Remove Battery & Sim for 2 mins, and power it back on?.
e. Call them back using a different phone using : PrepaidCSR#: 877-778-2106
16. Called paula from separate phone
a. We talked for ? an hour and all the while she kept repeating the below
b. The Phone was not purchased at Tmobile , so It will not work
c. When I bugged her a dozen times as to the technical reason?. She told me the phn shd have aws1700 &2100 bands

SHORT: EUROPEANPHONES DON?T WORK WITH TMOBILE OR AT&T SG3 PHONES TO GIVE 4G/LTE SPEEDS

Even at&t sg3 UNLOCKED cud potentially not work if the frequencies are separate for each network

Thanks
Critique!

Last edited:

KCandroidite

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I went through a similar dilemma. Ultimately I went with the ATT GS3. I had been using Straight Talk and after running my new GS3 phone on ATT LTE I was going through data like crazy, over 300 meg in 10 minutes. 44 meg down, 22 up! I then popped in my Straight Talk sim and I have decent speed, reliable phone and no problems. And it only costs me $50 (after tax) per month. I still have my ATT 300 meg account and when I travel or need speed I pop in the ATT sim. I get the best of both worlds: cheap and speed on demand! I highly recommend Straight Talk and the ATT GS3....

Corey Frank

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello. Currently I have a crappy phone that that is under the Tmobile network . I have a prepaid type of plan with the phone. So I just add minutes whenever it's about to go.

A few weeks back after doing some(but not everything as you can see) research, decided to save up to get the Samsung Galaxy S3. As it was time for a good smart phone. I was originally planning on getting the international version.
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S III/S3 GT-I9300 Factory Unlocked Phone - International Version (Pebble Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

But a day ago, I just realized and looked closely. The international version cannot support 3g for Tmobile. Tmobile has been okay where I live, and I haven't really had any issues. Although I dont have the $ to continue to be under the 3g plan(which is why i haven't gotten it yet) , in the future I might go to 3g. Atleast this option is still there..or so I originally thought... Whats worse is that apparently, if I wanted to switch to another carrier, i wouldn't be able to go to Verizon or sprint. The only other good option would be AT&T(which from what i've heard, it gets its critisims)

At this point, i'm like "WTF"? Then WTF is the point in getting the international version? Then I remembered that for Amazon, its generally under amazon prime and fullfilled by amazon. so it comes in only 2-3 days, and amazon customer support is reliable.

So at this point, I do a look around at the USA version of the Samsung Galaxy S3. Apparently it has 2g of ram, and has LTE support. And it's apparently better than the international version However, I have some big questions regarding the USA S3
1. If I do get the USA version of it, is 3g supported for the USA version, for Tmobile? So in the future if I stay under Tmobile, and decide to want to upgrade to 3g, doing so wont be an issue for the USA Samsung Galaxy S3 right?

2. Lets say, I decide to switch carriers. For the international version, I heard that verizon nor sprint are options. However, are Verizon and sprint options if the phone is unlocked for the US version?

Say that I get an unlocked USA Samsung Galaxy S3. If I'm on tmobile for awhile, and then decide to switch carriers or w/e, can I switch to Verizon or Sprint on a US Samsung Galaxy S3? Or would I never be able to do this?

#3 and the most important question: WHERE THE HELL DO I GET AN UNLOCKED US SAMSUNG GALAXY S3? Sorry for the caps, but I cant seem to find it?

I checked on Amazon
Amazon.com: Used and New: Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 SGH-I747 Blue AT&T 4G LTE Unlocked Cell Phone No Contract No Warranty - AT&T Logos [Carrier Retail Packaging]

But it has no warranty, and it's $635. Not even fullfilled by Amazon. I've checked on google, yet I cant seem to find any unlocked US Samsung Galaxy S3's from a good and reliable site and from a reliable seller that has the warranty available. So at this point,where do I get an unlocked(NOT ROOTED) Samsung Galaxy S3? I do not want to be under any contract , yet while I see unlocked international versions, I cant seem to find unlocked US versions with the warranty?

Are there even any benefits to getting the international version over the US version, in my situation? Please help :(

- - - Updated - - -

I checked on Amazon

Corey Frank

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
its got more to do with the signal that your phone receives AT&T and t-mobile send out a different signal then Verizon or cricket or a lot of the other ones I have a galaxy 3 running on cricket but it was originally a verizon phone and yes Verizon does take a SIM card that does not mean you cannot flash the phone or un lock it or root it to a different companyso basically my verizon has been rooted unlocked to cricket cricket is owned by AT&T AT&T also owns T Mobile so don't tell people things you don't know anything aboutone thing I do agree with is figure out the company that you want to go with us by one of there phones and unlock it yourself I will agree with that then you can use it with who you want to use it with and you still have other options

Shayne Stewart

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I recently got a verizon S3, its on the 4.4.1 version I believe. I have rooted the phone and currently using cricket. I can make and receive calls/texts and get on internet but I have (edge) speed. Is there any way possible I could get 3g/4g speed? I'm on the pro plan with cricket so I have 4G speed but can't get Edge off the S3.... any help would be appreciated very much!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair