Battery life on new S3 not so good

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I think I figured out the problem, it was probably the WiFi connection that was so weak at my college and kept disconnecting all day. It's much better now. 2 hours and half later I've only lost 15% while streaming the radio over 4G the whole time too. I guess the weaker the signal the more battery it drains.

Defintely. The weaker the signal the sensor uses more power to try to stay connected to the connection. I have wifi throughout my college also, and half the time it does not connect if I moved around a bit. I always have wifi on. I start off at full charge at 7am, and now its almost 8pm and I still have 78% battery left. I'm still using the OEM battery. I browse the appstore a few minutes a day, read news for 2-3 hours in separate times.

These are the things I do to save battery.

-Leave Power Saving on unless playing games
-Turn off the backlights of the capacitive buttons
-Turn off tactile feedback
-Turn off sound/noise when I touch the screen
-Only let my emails sync automatically (1 hour intervals)
-Only two widgets (weather, FlipBoard)
-Don't sync/update weather or FlipBoard automatically.
-Make sure you don't have any apps that run in the background
-Leave bluetooth off

You can try turning off your wifi in places where your connections are weak. I keep my screen brightness on automatic, but you can always turn it down completely when indoors. My screen is set to go to sleep in 10 or 30 seconds.

Basically every setting that might save battey is set on, unless I need to use it.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So I stopped using WiFi all together (till Jelly Bean drops officially) because the signal is very weak at my college and in my room at home for some odd reason and my 4G signal is a lot better and stronger. Saved me alot of juice!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems great! No issues for me. I get about 16+ hours without another charge most days. Do you live in an area where the connection is spotty? That is the only thing that I can think of.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems great! No issues for me. I get about 16+ hours without another charge most days. Do you live in an area where the connection is spotty? That is the only thing that I can think of.

Nope. I live in the city so the coverage is really good. Have 4-5 bars most of the time.

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a verizon wireless store nearby? If so, stop by there. They can test the battery and let you know if it's defective.

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I usually keep my phone in airplane mode with wifi on cuz my school is a dead zone. But my battery usually just makes it through a day.

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I thought I turned the brightness all the way down by checking "Auto-Brightness" but I guess I didn't. Hopefully actually turning the brightness down this time will stop this battery drainage. And the official Jelly Bean update cannot come fast enough!!! :D

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
1 hour and 49 minutes later my battery is at 79%. Is that normal or is something still wrong?
depends how youre using it man. ive been usin browser with screen at bout 5% for bout 4 hours and im at 71%

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
It took 13 hours for my battery to get from 100% to 78-9% a few days ago. That's while reading articles for a few hours. There might be something wrong with your battery...hard to tell as it's near impossible to know someone else's usage style

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you drained the battery and charged it back to a full 100% charge? I know some people will say that it doesn't matter but sometimes it does.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My usage is modrate, Browsing/reading articles, listen to music for a while, Twitter and Facebook but not very often, brightness down to 20%, WiFi GPS Bluetooth all off. Not sure why it's draining even when it's in standby mode but I'll exchange my battery before my 30 days is over just to be on the safe side. Right now it's at 61% 4 hours later while being in standby mode 40% of that time.

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
1.Settings> Application Manager (You can disable a few apps that you dont use like S-Voice and others)
2. Settings>Developer Options > Window/Transition animation scale to lower or off settings help battery.
3. Settings>Power saving - ON
4. Settings>Display > Brightness lower
5. Settings>Display > Screen Timeout faster
6. Settings>Display> Smart stay - OFF (I turned this off because it wasn't that needed and didn't always sense my eyes)
7. Settings> Sounds> Auto Haptic- OFF
*8. After you finish a applicaton close it by holding down the home button and pressing remove all or u can just swipe off which applications u want.

I did this.and usually it last me about 14-24hrs on the whole battery.
I have similar settings with about 3.7% per hour battery drain. I am very pleased with it since this is on LTE speed browsing.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
We don't ha've LTE at where I live yet and my battery is already draining. Looks like gonna have to exchange this battery before its too late.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
We don't ha've LTE at where I live yet and my battery is already draining. Looks like gonna have to exchange this battery before its too late.

Try a factory reset first. A few others had similar issues and a factory reset fixed them right up.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
A factory reset means major time and effort. That should be a final resort. Our would seem to me that getting a replacement battery would be a whole lot easier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I went over to best buy and since I had their PEP extended warranty, they swapped the whole phone and gave me a brand new one. Battery is still the same but I'm gonna drain it all the way and see if that fixes the problem and I hope it does.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Im thinking of installing jelly bean on my i747m s3 but I'm wondering if this will root my phone because rooting it will void my extended warranty.